OTA's/Minicamp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

4 hours ago, N4L said:

I'm sorry, but Elijah Lee is horrible. There is no redeeming quality about him. He had some really terrible games for us last year. He is slow to read things, doesn't take on blocks well, plays out of position, misses tackles... he was very very bad for us last year. He was so bad that he cant even be considered 'good depth' or 'player with upside' at this point in my humble opinion. 

Malcom smith is simply not a good player at this point in his career. He isn't terrible, but he also isn't good. Hes a mediocre player who cant stay healthy. The fact that he and lee are two guys you listed to show that we have depth at LB shows how differently we view this positional group. Neither of these guys should be on our roster in 2020. 

Greenlaw could be ok for us. I wasn't overly impressed by what I saw after we drafted him, but I am reserving judgement until the preseason. The other guys you mentioned are just names to me at this point. I haven't seen anything from any of them to make me think they are viable depth at the NFL level. 

anyways, we don't have to keep going in circles about this lol I actually think our secondary will be better than our LB group next season. 

Completely disagree about Lee. Very solid tackler. Does he have room to grow? Absolutely. He is a young player and, as I was saying last year, is a better option than Malcom Smith. I would say Lee was one of our more reliable tacklers.

Edited by Gore Whore 21

36 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

They anounced a live look in on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mFwDPhfceI

Thank you for posting that. I'm happy we have the godfather Greg papa as our play by play guy. He is phenomenal. 

I won't be listening to the games on the radio, but it's good to have him around the team and being able to share his insights pre and post game. It will be well received in my household

Edited by N4L
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Completely disagree about Lee. Very solid tackler. Does he have room to grow? Absolutely. He is a young player and, as I was saying last year, is a better option than Malcom Smith. I would say Lee was one of our more reliable tacklers.

He was terrible for us against Detroit. He had a lot of tackles but that doesn't mean he had a good game by any stretch of the imagination. After that he didn't get a lot of playing time for a while. I think the coaching staff saw what I saw. 

I am willing to give him another shot, I will go back and watch a few games from last year where he played a lot and also keep an eye on him in the preseason and report back. 

His tackling wasn't my main issue with him, it was being out of position. 

From Barrows. I love that we are putting our young DBs at their natural positions and thus in a position to succeed:

D.J. Reed, the team’s fifth-round pick from last season. A year ago, Reed split his time between free safety and nickel cornerback and logged games at both spots. This year he will concentrate on nickel and outside cornerback.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Matthews is going to end up making the team, huh? 

As for DJ Reed being put back at corner? Thank goodness, and glad he's getting a shot at outside corner, really excelled there in college. 

I would not hate if Matthews replaces Bourne. I don't think Bourne is ever going to develop beyond a decent depth receiver. If Matthews gives us more, no big deal. I would be more disappointed if he pushes off Taylor or Goodwin. Even then, not all that broken up about it. 

1 minute ago, y2lamanaki said:

I would not hate if Matthews replaces Bourne. I don't think Bourne is ever going to develop beyond a decent depth receiver. If Matthews gives us more, no big deal. I would be more disappointed if he pushes off Taylor or Goodwin. Even then, not all that broken up about it. 

Pettis, Goodwin, Samuel, Hurd and Taylor are pretty much locks. So depending on if we keep six or seven WRs, James, Bourne or Matthews are battling for the last spot or the last two spots. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Pettis, Goodwin, Samuel, Hurd and Taylor are pretty much locks. So depending on if we keep six or seven WRs, James, Bourne or Matthews are battling for the last spot or the last two spots. 

With the RB situation the way it is, I have doubts we keep 7 receivers. I guess a PUP stint for McKinnon into the season could leave the door open but even then it'd be hard to imagine. 

Personally I wouldnt mind if we went outside of this roster to start the season for a surprise camp cut like Cam Meredith or Laquan Treadwell. 

Rookie fifth-round pick Dre Greenlaw appears to be making the most of his first-team practice reps at linebacker. He’s been working as the “Sam,” where he’s competing with veteran Malcolm Smith, who struggled in coverage in the early going. Greenlaw had at least two tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage on run plays and has the speed to cover ground in coverage

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

With the RB situation the way it is, I have doubts we keep 7 receivers. I guess a PUP stint for McKinnon into the season could leave the door open but even then it'd be hard to imagine. 

Personally I wouldnt mind if we went outside of this roster to start the season for a surprise camp cut like Cam Meredith or Laquan Treadwell. 

I like cam Meredith, and I loved Treadwell coming out of school, but this offense is too complicated to learn in a few weeks. From what we have heard, every play is supposed be ran differently against different defenses, that's the genius of it. 

So I don't expect we add anyone on offense at this point in the off-season. We have enough decisions to make on that side of the ball without adding other team's scraps to the mix. We can't keep 7 wrs, 5 rbs, and 3 QBs. 

Bourne vs Matthews is interesting. The rumor was that Bourne ran the wrong routes and that he was part of the reason Kyle obviously made it a priority to get a WR this year. When you go wr in 2/3 first picks you obviously feel like you have a huge hole there. So from that standpoint I would assume Matthews has a pretty strong chance to make the final 53. Wrs being able to run block will undoubtedly help with some outside zone runs as well, and Mathews has the size/experience that Bourne doesn't 

Watched Salahs press conference sounded like reason why Solly is being lined up outside inside is to get reps. Once season starts he will be isolated to one spot from what Salahs said. Solly is looking a ton bigger and is getting to the QB today. I'm just hoping for some sort of positive from him. 

• Like 1