OTA's/Minicamp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

3 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I totally get the reasoning but I just think as a player, he was severely overdrafted. As much as ppl rag on Greenlaw's tape, I felt Street's was worst. Just don't think he's that good. 

That's fair. I disagree- I think his tape shows he can play. But we shall see. That's the fun of camp!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But carrying 10 DL is just unnecessary IMO.

A 53-man roster will always include a superfluous player or two in the name of future development. I don't disagree that 10 is a lot, but if it comes down to a really good 10th DL vs. a barely passable 7th LB, then I know the decision I'd make. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

A 53-man roster will always include a superfluous player or two in the name of future development. I don't disagree that 10 is a lot, but if it comes down to a really good 10th DL vs. a barely passable 7th LB, then I know the decision I'd make. 

@struby3 made a really good point a few pages ago:

18 hours ago, struby3 said:

I wouldn't be shocked if we kept 10 DL this year. Yeah, it's a lot, but we have Armstead, Blair, and Day entering free agency after this year and we won't have a ton of cap space next offseason. At one point I was predicting that Day would be the odd man out, but he seems to be working with the first team so far. Ford/Bosa/Buckner/Armstead/Thomas/Blair/Day/Jones/Taylor/Street on the 53 with Givens and/or Garcia-Williams on the PS is actually doable (see below). That would leave a core of Ford/Bosa/Buckner/Thomas/Jones/Taylor/Street next year before resigning or drafting anyone

Makes perfect sense. Would be unfortunate to cut the young, cheap talent we have this offseason, only to see other guys walk next year. 

I will say it feels great to actually have to cut talented players for a change! We aren't done rebuilding but top to bottom we are 10x better than we were 2-3 years ago

On 2019-07-27 at 2:51 PM, y2lamanaki said:

From Barrows. I love that we are putting our young DBs at their natural positions and thus in a position to succeed:

D.J. Reed, the team’s fifth-round pick from last season. A year ago, Reed split his time between free safety and nickel cornerback and logged games at both spots. This year he will concentrate on nickel and outside cornerback.

Someone learned the meaning of Keep It Simple Stupid, it seems.

Our staff seems to overthink things, at times.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Good to see McGlinchey stonewalling Ford. I think we can safely say we hit on this dude.

He held up much better in pass protection last year than I thought he was going to. He wasn't great, so there's some improvement to make there, but he drew some really tough assignments last year for a rookie. When you're going through your rookie season and consistently matched up with guys like Von Miller week in and week out, going to be hard to put on an elite performance in that regard. As a group, if Richburg can get his stuff together this season, it's a really strong line all around. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John232 said:

ngl, I think Moore ends up with the job by week 1..maybe week 4/5 at the latest. 

I'm not so sure that he would be out Colbert for the primary back up / inevitable replacement for Ward, tbh.