Roster Cuts Thread

deltarich87

14 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

In rounds 1-4 you draft with a plan of where you will be putting guys.

In rounds 5-7 you draft the best overall player without caring about position.

Exactly my thoughts. Get the best players then see how it falls. Not fit positions.

4 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Completely disagree on filling positions late in the draft

Why though?  I get going best player available late in the draft, but there comes a point when it just defeats the purpose.  I know a lot of people here thought Davis and Janis were on the bubble, but they weren't.  Both bring more athletically than we've had in a long time, and both had too much value on special teams to just give up in their 4th/2nd years, so once receiver was the best player available, gotta think it would have made more sense to go with the next best player NOT at a position we're deep in.

6 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think as a general rule you spend high picks on defensive players  because athleticism is a premium on defense and good athletes go high and then you throw stuff at the wall on offensive players later.  Like you can't fault GB for taking 3 RBs in a deep RB class any more than you  can fault them for the Adams/Abby/Janis draft in a deep WR class.

Pretty much.  The Packers played the numbers game at the RB position, and the early returns are encouraging.

44 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

what was the point of keeping 10 OL?  Put spriggs on notice?

I think it has more to do with the health of Don Barclay more than anything else.  Aside from he and Corey Linsley, who has C experience?  I don't think anyone other than Lucas Patrick has experience in that regard.  My guess with McCray has something to do with the Packers liking his developmental potential.

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I think it has more to do with the health of Don Barclay more than anything else.

Yeah, one of the extra OL is playing backup C until Barclay is healthy, because you need a backup center active on game day because the play doesn't start unless someone snaps the ball.  Once Barclay is healthy, the erstwhile backup center will be making room for someone else's roster spot (Allison?)

was not a fan of the yancey pick at the time, and this drives that point home. a 5th round pick isn't a guarantee roster guy, but it's one you really hope would be.

i don't even really think he should be a PS guy. would rather keep mccaffrey and dupre on the practice squad over him.

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I think it has more to do with the health of Don Barclay more than anything else.  Aside from he and Corey Linsley, who has C experience?  I don't think anyone other than Lucas Patrick has experience in that regard.  My guess with McCray has something to do with the Packers liking his developmental potential.

Yeah, latest story says Barclay is probably gonna be out for most of September

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/08/28/updates-green-bay-packers-roster-cuts/610149001/

In part, the Packers went heavy on the offensive line because of injury. Backup center Don Barclay won’t be available against the Seahawks, a source said. His return might not come until late September. No team enters a game with only one offensive lineman who can snap the football. Without Barclay, the Packers needed to ensure they had a backup center.

disappointing about hill. wanted him on the PS above callahan. that said, not really disappointing to lose either. still think hundley needs another year or two as a backup before he's ready to challenge on a team as starter, as (i'm sure) frustrating as it is for him.

Archived