2019 Offseason Trade Rumors & Free Agency Thread

resilient part 2

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

IF Mudiay can replicate the numbers he posted as a starter for the Knicks as a backup for Mike Conley, I'll eat my shoe.  As a starter last year, he averaged 16.6 PPG on 29 MPG.  Last year, Mike Conley averaged 33.5 MPG but let's round that to 32 MPG.  That leaves 16 MPG at the backup PG position.  Assuming he scores at the same clip he did with the Knicks, that's coming out to 8.6 PPG which is a FAR cry from the 15 PPG you are expecting.  Unless Mudiay comes significantly more efficient (i.e. shooting 50%+ from the field) or is getting more minutes, he's not sniffing 15 PPG.  But thanks for playing.

He averaged 14.8 ppg in 27 minutes last season for the Knicks. Thanks for playing. I never said that he'd match that production here just that I'll take a guy who has proven over the course of an NBA season he can be a 15 ppg guy as the 5th player off the bench for us... Nice try though. He's our 4th string PG and might be better than whoever you guys start at the 1. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Howard never played in college he has been a pro in France for the last 7 seasons. NWG played really well in Europe last season and is a solid option to have at the end of the bench as depth. Howard's numbers in France are very similar to Sefolosha and Batum's numbers in the same league before they came over to the NBA. I'm not expecting him to be a star but again, our front office is one of the best in the league at finding diamonds in the rough and our talent development program is also one of the best in the league. If you watch Howard play he's huge, makes plays defensively, and is a sniper from deep. We needed a 3rd string SF to replace Sefolosha and he'll do that for us on a cheap deal. 

The top of our bench with Ingles, Exum, Davis, and Green is one of the best in the league. But keep picking at me saying that end of bench guys are good depth to have behind them, lmao. 

You are literally the one pimping out your 3rd string PG and 3rd string SF.  Not me.  That's you.  You don't hear me raving about Alex Caruso and Talen Horton-Tucker for a reason.  The best part of your bench is Joe Ingles and Ed Davis.  The rest is meh.  Dante Exum is walking health concern, and there really isn't much that separates Jeff Green from the rest of the backup PFs in the league.

3 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

I’m just saying his response was super odd... if he’s set on staying with LA why wouldn’t he give any sort of response leaning that way?

Because there's no reason to commit this early.  I mean, everyone and their dog saw what happened with Kyrie Irving.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You are literally the one pimping out your 3rd string PG and 3rd string SF.  Not me.  That's you.  You don't hear me raving about Alex Caruso and Talen Horton-Tucker for a reason.  The best part of your bench is Joe Ingles and Ed Davis.  The rest is meh.  Dante Exum is walking health concern, and there really isn't much that separates Jeff Green from the rest of the backup PFs in the league.

Dante Exum is one of the best backup guards in the league when healthy. But I forgot, we can only ignore the Lakers injury concerns. As I've said before when rotations shrink in the postseason I feel very confident in having Exum, Ingles, and Davis as the first 3 off the bench. And Howard is better than Caruso and THT. NWG is a third string PG, but again, we don't know what we have with Howard he could be a diamond in the rough. We have a competent front office that finds talent, we're not like the Lakers who waste top picks every year and then have to let an agent and player take over and try to buy a championship.

Edited by NYRaider

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

He averaged 14.8 ppg in 27 minutes last season for the Knicks. Thanks for playing. I never said that he'd match that production here just that I'll take a guy who has proven over the course of an NBA season he can be a 15 ppg guy as the 5th player off the bench for us... Nice try though. He's our 4th string PG and might be better than whoever you guys start at the 1. 

You said as a starter.  He was a starter for 42 games.  I used his numbers from those 42 games.  He played an additional 17 games as a backup PG.  Since he's a backup, by your logic we should use his numbers from when he was a backup which was a measly 10.3 PPG.  The fact is Mudiay won't get the minutes or the shot attempts to sniff 15 PPG.  And I'm not going to use some inflated numbers on a poor team to justify my argument.  He's a career 11.8 PPG on 25.7 MPG, which if he plays the 16 MPG behind Conley would mean he'd average 7.3 PPG which is HALF of what he did for the Knicks last year.  He's not sniffing 15 PPG next year without Conley getting injured or him magically becoming an incredibly efficient.  If you want to use insanely small sample sizes to justify your argument, I'm wasting my time.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

You said as a starter.  He was a starter for 42 games.  I used his numbers from those 42 games.  He played an additional 17 games as a backup PG.  Since he's a backup, by your logic we should use his numbers from when he was a backup which was a measly 10.3 PPG.  The fact is Mudiay won't get the minutes or the shot attempts to sniff 15 PPG.  And I'm not going to use some inflated numbers on a poor team to justify my argument.  He's a career 11.8 PPG on 25.7 MPG, which if he plays the 16 MPG behind Conley would mean he'd average 7.3 PPG which is HALF of what he did for the Knicks last year.  He's not sniffing 15 PPG next year without Conley getting injured or him magically becoming an incredibly efficient.  If you want to use insanely small sample sizes to justify your argument, I'm wasting my time.

Over the course of last season in total he averaged 14.8 ppg on 45% FG. I never said he would average 15 ppg here, you’re reaching. I just said I’ll take a guy that has proven he can be a 15 ppg scorer as the 5th player off the bench for us next season. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Dante Exum is one of the best backup guards in the league when healthy. But I forgot, we can only ignore the Lakers injury concerns. As I've said before when rotations shrink in the postseason I feel very confident in having Exum, Ingles, and Davis as the first 3 off the bench. And Howard is better than Caruso and THT. NWG is a third string PG, but again, we don't know what we have with Howard he could be a diamond in the rough. We have a competent front office that finds talent, we're not like the Lakers who waste top picks every year and then have to let an agent and player take over and try to buy a championship.

We're not talking about Dante Exum.  I have issue with you pimping NGW and Howard as something more than end-of-the-bench roster fodder.  There's literally NOTHING to suggest that Howard is clearly better than THT or Caruso.  None of them have done anything noteworthy in the NBA.  Howard played reasonably well in a poor league across the pond.  THT played reasonably well in college.  They're not too dissimilar.  The only reason they're diamonds in the rough is because you're a Jazz fan.  If they were on any other roster, you'd be talking about them as roster fodder.

If you want to talk about Exum as one of the best backup guards when healthy, but you refuse to admit that you can't count on him this discussion is going nowhere.  And no, I haven't said you should ignore the Lakers' injury concerns.  The difference is I'm not projecting injuries, which you seem to be.  If LeBron James misses games this season, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that he strained his groin last year.  And Anthony Davis has actually been relatively healthy last year, but his GP number is misleading since the Pelicans held him out of games as part of that whole trade demand debacle.

Waste draft picks?  When was the last time the Jazz drafted someone noteworthy?  You'd probably have to go back to Gordon Hayward back in 2010.  Meanwhile, the Lakers' draft picks helped turn one of the worst rosters in the NBA into LeBron James and Anthony Davis.  Yeah, the Lakers really screwed the pooch on that one.  I mean, we're the Knicks of the West over here.

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Over the course of last season in total he averaged 14.8 ppg on 45% FG. I never said he would average 15 ppg here, you’re reaching. I just said I’ll take a guy that has proven he can be a 15 ppg scorer as the 5th player off the bench for us next season. 

You literally just said he could be a 15 PPG scorer.  That would require the minutes and the shot to do so, which he sure as hell won't get in Utah unless he manages to figure out how to be efficient or Conley gets injured.

32 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You literally just said he could be a 15 PPG scorer.  That would require the minutes and the shot to do so, which he sure as hell won't get in Utah unless he manages to figure out how to be efficient or Conley gets injured.

He showed he could be a 15 ppg scorer last season? When he averaged 15 ppg for the Knicks? I never said he would be a 15 ppg scorer for us. When your 10th man was a starter averaging 15 ppg the previous season, it's safe to say you're a pretty deep team. 

Edited by NYRaider

29 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Waste draft picks?  When was the last time the Jazz drafted someone noteworthy?  You'd probably have to go back to Gordon Hayward back in 2010.  

We drafted Donovan Mitchell #13 in 2017 and Rudy Gobert #27 in 2013. But okay. The Lakers sold the soul of a storied franchise to Rich Paul and LeBron James to fall short of a championship again for the next two years and go back into mediocrity once LeBron rides off to the set of Space Jam 2. 

Edited by NYRaider

40 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

We're not talking about Dante Exum.  I have issue with you pimping NGW and Howard as something more than end-of-the-bench roster fodder.  There's literally NOTHING to suggest that Howard is clearly better than THT or Caruso.  None of them have done anything noteworthy in the NBA.  Howard played reasonably well in a poor league across the pond.  THT played reasonably well in college.  They're not too dissimilar.  The only reason they're diamonds in the rough is because you're a Jazz fan.  If they were on any other roster, you'd be talking about them as roster fodder.

We'll have to wait and see what we have with Howard. Again, our front office has a proven track record of finding talented guys where no one else was looking. Hell, Joe Ingles couldn't even make the Clippers roster and was set to go back to Australia when we picked him up. Howard is 6'8" with an elite skill as a knockdown shooter. THT is a 6'3'" fat PF that can't score and can't shoot so he fits well with the rest of the crap you've surrounded LeBron and AD with. It's going to be so glorious to see you guys flop again this season. 

Edited by NYRaider