The Batman

Acgott

4 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

id like to see a different villain if they make another movie. Not joker, not scarecrow. Not 2 face. Killer croc would be too much CGI. Maybe Hatter or something. Idk.

Ive been pounding the table for professor pig for got dang years. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

No doubt, i'll take even a historical drama on a big screen, just saying I don't think this movie lends itself to "needing" that big screen experience in the same way that the new Dr Strange movie is going to.

Definitely some cool vistas, seeing Gotham that big to catch more details is nice.
But yeah if you have a solid screen and audio setup at home it's not a giant miss most of the movie.
3rd act probably pushes it to the big screen.

8 hours ago, Deadpulse said:
12 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

id like to see a different villain if they make another movie. Not joker, not scarecrow. Not 2 face. Killer croc would be too much CGI. Maybe Hatter or something. Idk.

Ive been pounding the table for professor pig for got dang years. 

Pyg would be fun

I'm on board for Mad Hatter too @BullsandBroncos.
When I saw it I thought it'd be fun to reuse the twins from this as Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, have Jervis brain wash them (not hard) to be his muscle.

Would probably have to be just part of the story and not the end villain. But could have some fun.

Contextually the next film seems like it could be the great fight for territory,
so characters would have to rise to rival Penquin. Though this could just be what the series is, which would be great actually.

Black Mask, Maxie Zeus. It's be wild to see them try it with The Ventriloquist / Scarface lol
The Hangman has a story who would fit well, but now that I think of it would be a bit too similar to this film.

Aside from Pyg, Madd Hatter... other villains that fit: Firefly, Scarecrow, Zsasz, Dollmaker, Deacon Blackfire, Jane Doe (would have to tone down probably, and shift to not overlap with Hush), Calendar Man, Calculator (as a minor little thing, info scene), bad vigilantes like the Electrocutioner to distort what batman is doing.

Hugo Strange, Hush, Two-face, Court of Owls & Talon as people who fit but probably should be in a 3rd or later thing.

I hope it stays grounded but starts to creep into the heightened world of the comics/animated series/arkham games.
Lots of great villains that can't really work otherwise.

• Like 1

@Deadpulse

Finally got around to watching this.

The trailers got me hyped up for it, but DC movies have done that in the past and fell flat.

This one delivered, and then some.

The only live action Batman Id put above this is the Dark Knight, and even then, not by much (mainly because of David Goyer's horrible dialogue).     Id put this in the same breath with Begins and Batman 89 in terms of my rankings.

The cinematography was beautiful.    The story flowed nicely and had some nice twists and turns.    The characters were all portrayed excellently.     Even Zoe Kravitz, who I dont typically like, was really good.     Paul Dano was great as Riddler.    Gordon and Batman had awesome chemistry.     Turturro actually wasnt bad as Falcone, even if he wouldnt be my first choice for the role.

IMO, the best portrayal in this movie was absolutely the Penguin.   Colin Ferrell deserves more respect for his acting chops.    That portrayal was on par with Heath Ledger, in terms of how unrecognizable he became.

There were only a few things I wasnt a fan of, but none of them were major issues...

1)  Again, I wasnt a fan of the Bruce Wayne persona.   I did like Bruce more as the story went on, but I hope the sequel has him portray Bruce Wayne....at least his public portrayal....differently than this movie.   Thats a pretty important part of not just Bruce Wayne, but Batman as well.

2) While I prefer a relatively grounded aspect to Batman, I really dont want another trilogy where there are no real supernatural elements to the Batman world.    The way Matt Reeves talked, it kinda seemed like thats the direction he is headed, but I really hope he allows for some more stuff to exist in his universe beyond the barriers of reality.

3)  Several other small nitpicks Im not going to go through because they arent worth mentioning specifically..

Overall though, I am extremely happy with this movie and think it was an amazing start to a new trilogy (or more).

• Like 7

5 hours ago, 43M said:

1)  Again, I wasnt a fan of the Bruce Wayne persona.   I did like Bruce more as the story went on, but I hope the sequel has him portray Bruce Wayne....at least his public portrayal....differently than this movie.   Thats a pretty important part of not just Bruce Wayne, but Batman as well.

A lot of us have been speculating that Bruce Wayne ISNT in this flick. He hasn't developed a persona or a life outside of Batman yet. If this is what we see for Bruce in future installments... I eat crow and this is a huge miss. If he actually develops that persona, master stroke in character building. It's either a big fail or a big win, we shall see. 

• Like 6

On 4/13/2022 at 2:06 AM, Kiltman said:

Pyg would be fun

I'm on board for Mad Hatter too @BullsandBroncos.
When I saw it I thought it'd be fun to reuse the twins from this as Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, have Jervis brain wash them (not hard) to be his muscle.

Would probably have to be just part of the story and not the end villain. But could have some fun.

Contextually the next film seems like it could be the great fight for territory,
so characters would have to rise to rival Penquin. Though this could just be what the series is, which would be great actually.

Black Mask, Maxie Zeus. It's be wild to see them try it with The Ventriloquist / Scarface lol
The Hangman has a story who would fit well, but now that I think of it would be a bit too similar to this film.

Aside from Pyg, Madd Hatter... other villains that fit: Firefly, Scarecrow, Zsasz, Dollmaker, Deacon Blackfire, Jane Doe (would have to tone down probably, and shift to not overlap with Hush), Calendar Man, Calculator (as a minor little thing, info scene), bad vigilantes like the Electrocutioner to distort what batman is doing.

Hugo Strange, Hush, Two-face, Court of Owls & Talon as people who fit but probably should be in a 3rd or later thing.

I hope it stays grounded but starts to creep into the heightened world of the comics/animated series/arkham games.
Lots of great villains that can't really work otherwise.

Freeze deserves a revival. If Bane can get a "serious" makeover in TDKR that catches on with fans after the disaster that was Batman & Robin (in which he was also made into a total joke, no pun intended, of what his character was SUPPOSED to be), I don't see why they can't let bygones be bygones and give Mr. Freeze a second chance two and a half decades later.

Yes, I know I'm comparing a guy having the lead antagonist role where Arnie was reduced to making a ton of corny ice puns to what essentially amounts to a cameo for Bane, but the fact remains he had a role in that movie, too that also wasn't treated very respectfully. Arkham City proves Freeze can very easily fit into this darker, more grounded world of Gotham.

5 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

Freeze deserves a revival. If Bane can get a "serious" makeover in TDKR that catches on with fans after the disaster that was Batman & Robin (in which he was also made into a total joke, no pun intended, of what his character was SUPPOSED to be), I don't see why they can't let bygones be bygones and give Mr. Freeze a second chance two and a half decades later.

Yes, I know I'm comparing a guy having the lead antagonist role where Arnie was reduced to making a ton of corny ice puns to what essentially amounts to a cameo for Bane, but the fact remains he had a role in that movie, too that also wasn't treated very respectfully. Arkham City proves Freeze can very easily fit into this darker, more grounded world of Gotham.

Reeves has talked about it, would love it if they did go that route.
Could be a good bring character into the slightly more fantastical nature of that world, but yeah find a way to tether them to reality in some way.

The penguin show being the turf war would help set the stage for The Batman sequel to go a more interesting way with it.

I saw it in the theaters a couple weeks ago. I thought it was pretty good. The person I saw it with is a huge DC nerd and didnt like it at all. 

Ill give it a second watch through, but it was firmly behind all 3 Nolan films for me. Maybe it will grow on me with time?

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I saw it in the theaters a couple weeks ago. I thought it was pretty good. The person I saw it with is a huge DC nerd and didnt like it at all. 

Ill give it a second watch through, but it was firmly behind all 3 Nolan films for me. Maybe it will grow on me with time?

It was better than Begins and Rises IMO.

• Like 1

I still contend that Batman Begins is the best Batman movie period.  I prefer Rises to this new one, but it's close and I won't begrudge anyone for having this higher. I think once the recency bias dies down Rises will be ranked higher by the majority.

7 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

The person I saw it with is a huge DC nerd and didnt like it at all

Between this coming out on HBO Max and the Thor trailer getting released yesterday, i've read the phrase "true fan of the comics" a hilarious amount of times.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

I think once the recency bias dies down Rises will be ranked higher by the majority.

It already is. By IMDB, Rotten Tomatos, Meta Critic and Google reviews. 

This new Batman is decent, but its not better than the Nolan series based on the majority of people and critics.