The Batman

Acgott

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

If we want to talk about pacing issues, man is this moving sloooooooowwwwww on rewatch.

I was nervous about that for when I finally do. Like most people, I had big complaints about the last hour's length. If I start stressing over the first two....

I watched it last night. I liked it! But the run time is way, way too long. What happened to 90 minute movies? I don't want to have to take a day off work to have time to be able to watch a movie.

There is a really, really solid 90 minute movie in here somewhere that gets rid of a few twists and turns that are ultimately not necessary. The run time is a huge disservice here.

Otherwise, I thought the characters were all great, the set pieces were really cool, it was shot really well, and the noir element was fun and interesting. I really enjoyed the rapport Gordon and Batman had. I don't think any other Batman movie has ever done it the way it was done here and I loved it.

They connected the thumb drive to the laptop and it sent an email to everyone with the info. No one was curious about the alfredpennysworth@batcave.com email and what it could mean for Batman’s secret identity 

4 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

In Hindsight, Batman is kind of a ****ty detective in this. He doesn't even catch the Riddler, some guy saw him run out of a building into a diner and that's how he got caught.

Think that’s the point tho, he wasn’t a public player. He was a recluse no one knew and was smart enough to cover his tracks 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, broncofan48 said:
6 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

But dumb enough to get caught running out of a building?

I was under the impression he wanted to get caught so he could watch the final act with Batman?

Yep he only got caught cause he wanted to. I think he misread Batman’s interests 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I watched it last night. I liked it! But the run time is way, way too long. What happened to 90 minute movies? I don't want to have to take a day off work to have time to be able to watch a movie.

There is a really, really solid 90 minute movie in here somewhere that gets rid of a few twists and turns that are ultimately not necessary. The run time is a huge disservice here.

Otherwise, I thought the characters were all great, the set pieces were really cool, it was shot really well, and the noir element was fun and interesting. I really enjoyed the rapport Gordon and Batman had. I don't think any other Batman movie has ever done it the way it was done here and I loved it.

lol we're total opposites. I won't watch a movie that's 90 minutes long. If it's not at least nearly 2 hours, I'll brush it off. 

11 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

In Hindsight, Batman is kind of a ****ty detective in this. He doesn't even catch the Riddler, some guy saw him run out of a building into a diner and that's how he got caught.

The deleted scene with the Joker has a line where he critique's Batman for not being ahead of the Riddler with a "You are usually spot on with these sorts of things" type line. 

Personally, as a total got dang nerd, I like that the Riddler stays ahead of Batman. That was always the point of him, the guy who could actually beat him in a game of wits. However for the larger audience, maybe not the best move to have that character kick off this Batman.

However, from a narrative perspective, it still works IMO. The character arc for Batman is moving from a figure of vengeance to a beacon of hope. The Riddler is the perfect foil for this and I think the Riddler's plan working forces Batman to become what he truly needs to become. 

• Like 5