2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

Watched CJ Henderson's cutup vs LSU. Here's the thing... I see the fluidity and speed. Both are excellent. But his technique isn't there and once this guy gets beat in the NFL, he's toast because his tackling sucks. I saw him give up a 5 yard catch and then give up 10-15 yards of YAC. You just can't do that. And I saw him give up on a pick play where Chase scored a TD. Yes he was picked, but the way he let him just run away without even giving chase was the most beta thing I've seen watching a DB this year. I worry about that kind of mentality. 

Mullen is fearless and physical to go with his athletic traits. He also tackles. I'm not sure if I see that same kind of kid in Henderson, as fast as he is.

Now I watched Kristian Fulton vs Alabama again and he really held his own vs Jeudy and Ruggs. Not perfect by any means, but he plays the ball well and definitely is a better tackler than Henderson. I also saw him break on a slant so quickly with Ruggs and break it up. His ability to react is very very good. That "quick trigger" will make it hard to get easy completions on him. I'd be happy with him at 19, or with a trade down. 

Trevon Diggs looked laughably bad against LSU. Don't put that guy in press-man coverage. He can play zone but he's just so so so overrated.

• Like 3

I think people should mentally prep themselves for Mayocks pick at 19. Last year many were surprised by the Ferrell pick at 4, when Ferrell was consistently ranked in the Top 5 in Dec-Mid Jan and then all the media rankings kept pushing him down to 20-30. 

Don’t be shocked if he takes Jaylon Johnson or AJ Terrell straight up at 19, no trade back, nothing. For all we know, his CB board is CB1 Okudah CB2 Johnson CB3 Terrell. And all three could be Top 20 Prospects for him. 

I think Henderson/Fulton have been really overrated by the media throughout the entire draft process. 

All I’m saying is think outside the box, and expect a name that could be downwards of the ranking list. 

I wouldn’t be too shocked if he did pick Johnson or Terrell at that pick. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Kinlaw is a very different player, but it's hard to argue that Kinlaw has a higher upside, given that Brown is bigger and stronger. Sure Kinlaw is longer, but there's no guarantee that length inside will translate to better pass rushing. Look at Donald. He's a midget for a DT, but is unstoppable.

Kinlaw definitely has the bigger chance to bust but IMO he has the higher pass rushing ceiling, really powerful punch, long limbed and violent with his hands and once he polishes rechnique and really utilises his leverage (which will come with good coaching) he's got the explosion, quickness and feet to knife through the OL and give interior guys fits. As if right now, he's not as polished as Brown and Brown certainly is a very good player but he's not as sudden, agile or quick from what ive seen. Kinlaw will be compared to Chris Jones and if he works out his flaws he'll win in a similar way. Brown to me is limited with his quickness, balance and explosion but he'll make an excellent run stopping DT or NT with some pass rush, similar to Vea maybe. Donald wins with elite quickness, balance, great leverage and very polished moves, he was my favourite player in that draft class for those reasons and whilst Kinlaw is a very different player he has IMHO the higher ceiling as a pass rusher and whilst I like Brown, our D needs a Kinlaw. It'll be intriguing to see how both guys develop but realistically I don't think we'll pick either.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

It'll be intriguing to see how both guys develop but realistically I don't think we'll pick either.

You're right, we're not picking a DT in the 1st. Collins is Marinelli's pet project, not much older than most guys in the draft class and showed significant improvement last season.

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

About the only Breakdown Video on Johnson I could find, pretty entertaining guy:

Nice video, my favourite CB prospect outside Okudah, id like him in the 2nd but wouldn't be mad at 19. I think we're thinking very similarly on the CBs!

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Jaylon Johnson is the ideal fit body type for the Raiders. He’s just a second round pick and picking him at 19 would be on par or worse then picking Ferrell. 

Oh, I know it’s not a popular opinion and I can totally understand if the majority blew their tops over picking Johnson at 19 but I think they’d be calling Mayock a genius 12 months later and as we find out year after year teams draft boards are often significantly different than the media. If people are talking about taking Henderson at 19 then Johnson is the better player and much better fit IMHO.

I like Terrell in a similar value to Johnson - would ideally like to trade into the 2nd for either if possible, I like Fulton too but not as much as Johnson and I don’t see him falling to the 2nd. Arnette, Dantzler and Pride I like a little later but they all have issues, Arnette projects to me to be a better slot but it seems Joyner will be reprising his role there, Dantzler is very questionable speed wise and though he’s a good player that could be a huge problem, Pride can get very grabby, struggles a bit playing the ball and his physicality is only ok. 

In a perfect world we could trade back from 19 a few spots, pick up a 2nd and take a Johnson there but it’s not always possible and if we have to take a CB at 19 he’d be the guy for me.

• Like 4

Henderson is a big no-go for me. If you aren’t willing to put effort into tackling, then you’re a liability. That’s plain and simple.

I’ve  been saying It and will continue to pound the table, Jeff Gladney is the guy we want.  

He’s a sticky cover man who has run defending chops.

• Like 2

Has anyone proposed Jeff Gladney at 19?  I have done a little reading about the CBs in this class he is described as tough, scrappy, and a willing tackler. 

EDIT literally just saw the post above mine.  :eyeroll:

Edited by Totty
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

Henderson is a big no-go for me. If you aren’t willing to put effort into tackling, then you’re a liability. That’s plain and simple.

I’ve  been saying It and will continue to pound the table, Jeff Gladney is the guy we want.  

He’s a sticky cover man who has run defending chops.

Gladney on a trade down or @19?

I myself just don't see the value for any CB at 19. I think it would be a reach based on need. I like the value at safety and it's just as big of a need. We will most likely see a CB at 19 so just hope they pick the right one. 

• Like 1

Idk how much to like Delpit. My heart tells me he’d be good here.  He’s got nice range but he played so much better at SS last year then free safety this year.  Injuries happened I know.  I know we don’t do Ss and FS in a Typical sense.  But Abrams is more Ss than FS so you’d think it makes sense to pair him with more of a FS type.

what do you guys think ?  McKinney is more of the FS type but could play like A SS if needed in our halves coverage

18 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Idk how much to like Delpit. My heart tells me he’d be good here.  He’s got nice range but he played so much better at SS last year then free safety this year.  Injuries happened I know.  I know we don’t do Ss and FS in a Typical sense.  But Abrams is more Ss than FS so you’d think it makes sense to pair him with more of a FS type.

what do you guys think ?  McKinney is more of the FS type but could play like A SS if needed in our halves coverage

Im back and forth on Delpit, he has all the skills, good range, hands, football IQ but the tackling issues really bother me and as a safety thats kind of a crucial part of the role. He just tackles soft to me, opposite of Joseph and Abram and that is something that is mental and not coachable. I guess if our corners tackle well and Abrams learns to wrap well then we could put up with that facet of his game but it's a real red flag for me.