2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

3 hours ago, Mr Raider said:

I'd imagine most high profile, skill position players at major programs could be described as a partier. The NFL is full of dudes that party. I think the Vegas angel is overblown. Guys in every NFL city could get in trouble with the liquor, drugs, and girls. Vegas might be slightly easier. 

I also don't think its fair to knock a guy for it if it hasn't caused him legal trouble, problems in the locker room, or effected his ability to preform on the field. None of those apply to Lamb. And I haven't even heard the heavy party reports from a bunch of sources. I first saw it on Walterfootball but it's not something I've heard a bunch of other media members mention. 

I'm a nobody and I had big eyes and a smile so was shown to an elevator that went to another part of a club. (Rio long ago) Kind of reminded me of a Seinfeld episode when George found the models club that moved around. Also been big eyes and a smile drug into the bathrooms by a hottie but security caught us. (Ra @ Luxor) The strip club called the Library and was about to be mounted when security broke it up. I had no money and a friend bought me a 2 for 1. LOL (Made her exgf jealous and wasn't allowed to chat with either after that) Projectile vomited in the Bellagio pool bathroom because I shouldn't have 'mixed' that with that...I'm an average guy who can blend in or stick out depending on my mood. I'm not the wild child but have no problems with people enjoying themselves but Vegas is another level than ANYWHERE. Now if I can have that life without even trying, imagine a newly minted millionaire getting VIP treatment, comps in a city that prides itself on excess and 'entertaining the world'

I think Vegas 'party' is seriously underestimated but what do I know except for what I've experienced.

Edited by G

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The reason that I like Ruggs more than Lamb/Jeudy is because of the 3 top WR's he's the only one that has elite traits. 

He runs an elite 40. What other elite traits does he have? He's average at tracking the ball and on contested catches. For as fast as he is, he's not explosive off the line. He's not got a lot of wiggle to his game, more just straight line. 

I think people are trying to convince themselves he's Hill. But he's not to that level of ability yet.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

If I wasn't a Raiders fan, I'd be a Saints fan. Have always liked them.

Yep, my unofficial #2 team (if there is such a thing) liked em back when the “dome patrol” was there, one of the best sets of lbers ever(actually #1 on the nfl networks too 10 episodes) beat out the 86 giants. Never been much of a rams and Niners fan, so when they got good and actually beat them + making it to the playoffs it made me happy. Yes, I’m old enough to remember the bags and “the aints” lol

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

So you guys see Chris Simms rankings for WRs?

5. Tee Higgins

4. KJ Hamler

3. Henry Ruggs III

2. Justin Jefferson

1. CeeDee Lamb

No Jeudy. His argument is you either have be very athletic to be a 1st Round WR or a complete dog, and claims Jeudy is neither. 

I still have Jeudy as my WR1 but he brings up an interesting point. 

I’m trying to warm up to Ruggs at WR1. He’s super athletic, super fast, a total dog and very physical (this seems to not get noticed much, but he’s a pure dog), and he has a pretty well-rounded game. Will he ever have CeeDees contested catch ability or Jeudy’s smoothness running routes? Probably not, but he’s not bad at all at either of those things. 

What I've been saying for months. Jeudy is just not a physical WR and drops the ball when defenders are close. He's a terrific route runner, but has not elite qualities to his game. He's small framed and frail when it comes to bodying up against defenders and dominating the catch point. You can't throw it up and expect him to win. Which is why I hate your Chad Johnson comparison. Chad would out muscle DBs for the ball. Jeudy has none of that to his game.

He will be a good, productive WR, but doubt he's ever seen as an elite "you can't stop him" type who can take over games. Like Ruggs, another "won't be mad with the pick" but don't think he'd ever live up to a 12 overall selection.  

21 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2020/3/31/21198008/henry-ruggs-iii-nfl-draft-2020-speed-wide-receiver-class-highlights-strengths

I've seen people say they want Lamb because he's a YAC monster. Lamb averaged 11.0 YAC last season while Ruggs averaged 10.5 YAC. 

Yes, but that stat has to be put in perspective, his speed will dictate a deeper cushion, but more importantly he had 2 other top wrs on the field. Only team close to that amount of wr talent on one field is LSU.  Ruggs is great, not 12 great imo strictly.

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

He only measured in at 5'8" and he hasn't been able to run a 40 to dispel doubts about his long speed so can you see him dropping to the 4th or even 5th rounds? I really like him the more i watch.......

4th is possible but he has a pretty nice skillset. Aggression instincts tackling coverage skills. I would grab him at 90 depending on how the board falls. Better to slightly overdraft a stud looking back in a few years than to miss out altogether.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Very good points. Ruggs could be a true WR1. People also underestimate him as a jump-ball aggressive receiver. He can certainly do that. He also apparently runs the most diverse route tree in the entire draft. 

Vehemently disagree with this statement. LSU corners played him physical and he struggled with contested balls. He's also very average at tracking the deep ball 

For all his speed, he's never put up more than 750 yards in a season. Only averaged 62 yards a game. Yes, I'm aware of the Wr group he played with, but you'd think with his speed and supposed skill set, he'd average more than 62 yards a game.

5 minutes ago, Devilshark69 said:

Yes, but that stat has to be put in perspective, his speed will dictate a deeper cushion, but more importantly he had 2 other top wrs on the field. Only team close to that amount of wr talent on one field is LSU.  Ruggs is great, not 12 great imo strictly.

FWIW:

PFF has Ruggs as their #2 WR and #10 overall prospect. 

Daniel Jeremiah has Ruggs as his #3 WR and #11 overall prospect. 

Kyle Crabbs has Ruggs as his #3 WR and #10 overall prospect.

Joe Marino has Ruggs as his #1 WR and #7 overall prospect. 

• Like 1

Just now, big_palooka said:

Vehemently disagree with this statement. LSU corners played him physical and he struggled with contested balls. He's also very average at tracking the deep ball 

For all his speed, he's never put up more than 750 yards in a season. Only averaged 62 yards a game. Yes, I'm aware of the Wr group he played with, but you'd think with his speed and supposed skill set, he'd average more than 62 yards a game.

College production means nothing. Josh Jacobs averaged 29.8 yards per game at Alabama. 

• Like 1

Just now, big_palooka said:

Crock talked about this in the thread. Ruggs has massive upside but he isn't a finished product. He has hands and contested catch ability, but a lot of his pluses were nullified by physical cornerbacks like Fulton.

Ruggs needs to get some manufactured touches (jet sweeps especially) when he comes into the league to maximize his value/threat factor and continue to work on getting off press. He showed the ability to beat press, but he needs some coaching to become better at it. In the meantime, he can be protected by placing him in stacked alignments to allow him to get a free release. He'll have immediate value on slants, deep and shallow crossers, and on play action. Eventually I think he can develop a lethal double move. He doesn't have any physical or mental limitations.

He is NOT a high volume #1 WR, but I think he's in his own tier behind Jeudy and Lamb (both high volume 1s in the NFL) imo. I would be very happy with him in the 15-19 range, but I wouldn't want him at 12 unless both Jeudy and Lamb are gone.

He would be a good fit in our offense because of his ability to augment the run game and how gruden would use him. But not the same instant impact as Lamb/Jeudy IMO.

• Like 1

One of the reasons I’m not super high on Ruggs. When bama was playing their playoff game, Ruggs got dinged and came out, don’t remember if he came back in or not, I wanted to watch him a little bit. Well first off, it didn’t seem like a hardcore injury, he took himself out because of the draft, I get that. Truly I do, but to me, if you’re a “dog” they gotta drag you off the field.... period. Right or wrong , his qb is an example of that. He wanted back in, injury be damned. Said it before, I’m old school. I remember a guy who had trainers cut off his finger, wave some smelling salts under his nose, and he was back in. “ old guy” definition of “dog”? Ronnie Lott, Marcus Allen in his cast catching swing passes or here’s a good one ...jack effing Youngblood. Trying to get to the championship and you come out? Tape it up and get back in. Strictly imo, that’s what scares me about Ruggs. I know certain members will want have a shark bbq but it is what it is. And I yam what I yam! Lol!

18 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

What I've been saying for months. Jeudy is just not a physical WR and drops the ball when defenders are close. He's a terrific route runner, but has not elite qualities to his game. He's small framed and frail when it comes to bodying up against defenders and dominating the catch point. You can't throw it up and expect him to win. Which is why I hate your Chad Johnson comparison. Chad would out muscle DBs for the ball. Jeudy has none of that to his game.

He will be a good, productive WR, but doubt he's ever seen as an elite "you can't stop him" type who can take over games. Like Ruggs, another "won't be mad with the pick" but don't think he'd ever live up to a 12 overall selection.  

Jeudy needs to get in the weight room and add some size. He needs a little bit of attitude. His stop start quickness IMO is an elite quality, but it's only one thing and I agree that against physical teams you have to be able to rough dudes up a little bit. It's a quality he doesn't really have IMO. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Devilshark69 said:

One of the reasons I’m not super high on Ruggs. When bama was playing their playoff game, Ruggs got dinged and came out, don’t remember if he came back in or not, I wanted to watch him a little bit. Well first off, it didn’t seem like a hardcore injury, he took himself out because of the draft, I get that. Truly I do, but to me, if you’re a “dog” they gotta drag you off the field.... period. Right or wrong , his qb is an example of that. He wanted back in, injury be damned. Said it before, I’m old school. I remember a guy who had trainers cut off his finger, wave some smelling salts under his nose, and he was back in. “ old guy” definition of “dog”? Ronnie Lott, Marcus Allen in his cast catching swing passes or here’s a good one ...jack effing Youngblood. Trying to get to the championship and you come out? Tape it up and get back in. Strictly imo, that’s what scares me about Ruggs. I know certain members will want have a shark bbq but it is what it is. And I yam what I yam! Lol!

Nick Bosa withdrew from school and sat out the final few games of his college career in order to prepare for the draft. He looked pretty good last season for the 49ers. At the end of the day protecting your health at the collegiate level is extremely important. Look at someone like Marcus Lattimore, he was projected to be a top 15 pick, tore his knee up twice and ruined his chance at a professional career. 

• Like 1