2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

There is so much value at WR in this class. You can find potential in nearly every round if you know how to develop it.

That's something interesting to discuss as well, for the most part first round WR's don't pan out, especially not early in their careers. IIRC, Mayock said something similar during his combine interview. 

As I said earlier in the thread, only 5 of the top 20 WR's in terms of receiving yards last season were former first round picks. (Jones, Cooper, Evans, Parker, and Hopkins) 

Then it's Michael Thomas (2nd round pick), Chris Godwin (3rd round pick), Keenan Allen (3rd round pick), Kenny Golladay (3rd round pick) and the list goes on and on. 

Hell even look at last years rookie class:

1. AJ Brown - 1,051 yards (2nd round pick)

2.Terry McLaurin - 919 yards (3rd round pick)

3. DK Metcalf - 900 yards (2nd round pick)

4. DeeBoo Samuel - 802 yards (2nd round pick)

5. Darius Slatyon - 740 yards (5th round pick)

6. Diontae Johnson - 680 yards (3rd round pick)

7. Hunter Renfrow - 605 yards (5th round pick)

5 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Here is something to think about.  We all know Edge rushers are a premium and you can never have too many good ones.  What do you guys think about Chassion if he is on the board? 

I don't know much about him but he is a highly ranked Edge rusher.  Yes we have Maxx and Ferrell but behind them not much and we have been one of the worst pass rushing teams in the NFL for a decade.  Let's say Kinlaw or Brown are there at 12 and Chassion is there at 19, do we make that move?  If those guys pan out that would give us one heck of a rotation along the Dline and pass rush would go from weakness to strength in a flash.  Interesting to think about and debate....

Assuming we go WR at #12, I'd be okay with Chassion at #19. You can never have too many pass rushers and after Crosby/Ferrell/Nassib we don't really have much. Plus he provides a much different look than any of the edge players we currently have on our roster. 

Just now, Frankie2Gunz said:

Here is something to think about.  We all know Edge rushers are a premium and you can never have too many good ones.  What do you guys think about Chassion if he is on the board? 

I don't know much about him but he is a highly ranked Edge rusher.  Yes we have Maxx and Ferrell but behind them not much and we have been one of the worst pass rushing teams in the NFL for a decade.  Let's say Kinlaw or Brown are there at 12 and Chassion is there at 19, do we make that move?  If those guys pan out that would give us one heck of a rotation along the Dline and pass rush would go from weakness to strength in a flash.  Interesting to think about and debate....

Wouldn't mind adding another DE, can never have enough good ones. And im not as high on Ferrell as others. But isn't Chaission is too small to be a Guenther DE, if im not mistaken?

The Penn St DE has the adequate size we look for, however. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Assuming we go WR at #12, I'd be okay with Chassion at #19. You can never have too many pass rushers and after Crosby/Ferrell/Nassib we don't really have much. Plus he provides a much different look than any of the edge players we currently have on our roster. 

How would you feel about Kinlaw at 12 and Chassion at 19?  Or what about skipping a WR in the 1st (great WR value in this draft) and drafting Chassion at 12?  Does he pose good value there?  No one is talking about him and he appears to be a highly ranked edge rusher.

7 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Wouldn't mind adding another DE, can never have enough good ones. And im not as high on Ferrell as others. But isn't Chaission is too small to be a Guenther DE, if im not mistaken?

The Penn St DE has the adequate size we look for, however. 

From what I can tell Matos is 2 inches taller and 10 pounds heavier and is 2 years older.  I would go with the better prospect (Chassion who is also only 20) rather than drafting a guy to fit what Gunther does as he might not be there after this season.  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

2 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

How would you feel about Kinlaw at 12 and Chassion at 19?  Or what about skipping a WR in the 1st (great WR value in this draft) and drafting Chassion at 12?  Does he pose good value there?  No one is talking about him and he appears to be a highly ranked edge rusher.

I'm not a huge fan of Kinlaw at #12 but would be okay with him at #19. The same for #12. 

For #12 my ideal outcomes are: 

1. Come away with one of the top 3 WR (Ruggs/Jeudy/Lamb)

2. Small trade up for a defensive stud (Brown/Okudah)

3. Trade down with a team targeting a QB (Indy?)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

From what I can tell Matos is 2 inches taller and 10 pounds heavier and is 2 years older.  I would go with the better prospect (Chassion who is also only 20) rather than drafting a guy to fit what Gunther does as he might not be there after this season.  

We should be looking for Rod Marinelli guys, he's the DC in waiting. 

I believe Lamb has the potential to be a top 5 WR in the NFL. If he's there at 12, I take him without question.

If he's gone however, I would be totally fine with waiting on a WR until 19 (Mims or Higgins would be my guy there) or even waiting and moving up into the second for one of the next group of like 6-7 guys that could be there (Hamler would be my target). 

I do tend to agree with the idea that Jeudy and Ruggs won't be dominant, feed them the ball in any situation type of guys. I think both will be good, Jeudy will be highly productive but situationally will be taken out by the more physical corners and Ruggs will make a bunch of splash plays but will lack the consistency to get you 85+ catches a year. I floated out the Desean Jackson comparison, and BP just mentioned it again. I agree with that type of player. Which is certainly beneficial to an offense.

Lamb I see as the clear cream of the crop and has the ability to be Deandre Hopkins good. Thats worth the 12 pick to me all day long.

It will also depend on the board. Even with all of that said, I can easily see a scenario where either Jeudy or Ruggs is simply the best player left at 12, and if that's the case, take them. It's not like we can't use any of them. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mr Raider said:

Ruggs will make a bunch of splash plays but will lack the consistency to get you 85+ catches a year. I floated out the Desean Jackson comparison, and BP just mentioned it again. I agree with that type of player. Which is certainly beneficial to an offense.

Jackson had 900+ yards in 7 of his first 9 seasons and the only two years he didn't he played 11 games or less. 

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Another under the radar WR, Devin Duvernay. Fast, but bulked up frame who plays like a RB. Great hands.

There is so much value at WR in this class. You can find potential in nearly every round if you know how to develop it.

Watch the LSU game. Duvernay spends the day running through Grant Delpit

this is what im talking about, hes a good late round compliment to lamb/mims type of receiver(mentioned mims as a later pick , not at 12 to clarify) with a trade back mims /DuVernay is a very interesting combo. especially if we went D with #12. 

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Jackson had 900+ yards in 7 of his first 9 seasons and the only two years he didn't he played 11 games or less. 

I understand that... But he wasn't a guy you fed the ball consistently. He wasn't the guy you looked to on the tough 3rd and 6 type of situations... He would have huge games full of big plays, and games where he was totally taken out of the game. 

Would I be upset with Desean Jacksons career for the 12th pick? Absolutely not. But in this stacked class where I think you can get quite a few guys that can give you 900 yards a season in a specific way, but have holes in their game, I could see and agree with the idea of going a different direction at 12 and taking advantage of the depth at WR at 19 or in the second round after a trade down or trade up. 

I'm not calling Ruggs a bad player. I think he'll be a good one. But I think he'll win in a specific way and may struggle to make an impact weekly, especially against playoff teams that are going to be physical on the line with him and give ample help over the top. 

I did a mock draft on TDN, and I think this is likely what I would consider a dream draft for us. 

Round 1, Pick 12 - CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma. He's my 5th ranked prospect in the entire draft (after Tua, Burrow, Young, and Simmons). I think he can win short, intermediate, and over the top even though he isn't a burner with his ability to go up and ****** the ball away. I think he's a perfect fit for our system and the guy we pray falls to 12. 

Round 1, Pick 19 - Kristian Fulton, CB, LSU - The more I watch Fulton the more I love his game. He's so sticky in man coverage. He's phenomenal at press, and even in off man he sticks to his guys like glue. I think he has the ability to thrive in the slot or on the boundary. I wish he had a bit better ball skills, but if he did he'd be a top 10 lock IMO. 

Round 3, Pick 80 - Darrell Taylor, Edge, Tennessee - Highly productive, good size, very good athlete when I watch him on tape. I believe he offers something different in comparison to the DE we have on the roster. He's fully capable of coming in year one as a situational rusher and being effective. I think his speed and burst off the edge is desperately needed when combined with the ends we already have on the roster we will have a fantastic combination of youth, experience, athleticism, strength, run defense, and pass rushing prowess. 

Round 3, Pick 81 - Jalen Hurts, QB, Oklahoma - My favorite QB in the draft after the two guys I feel confident will be franchise guys. To get Hurts in the third would be a fantastic idea. He has the upside in my evaluation to develop into a legitimate starting caliber, possible top 12 QB in the NFL. He has most of the traits I look for in a QB. Leadership, toughness, a ton of starting experience, played in big games, showed signs of development in every year, and he has very very good athleticism for his position. I think he could come in year one and make an impact in some subpackage situations, but even if year one is used as a redshirt year to work in his mechanics the investment is still worth it to me. He wouldn't be rushed to play. He'd have two real pros to sit behind and learn and come next season he could show what he's capable of after a season of working on mechanics. I saw enough improvement and some real accuracy last season to believe if put in an offense that highlights his skills he could be THE guy. At the very least he's a solid long term backup for the next 4 years and a potential trade chip if injury falls and he plays well. 

Round 3, Pick 91 - Akeem Davis-Gaither, LB, Appalachian State - LB was addressed in free agency (thank the good lord) but it isn't completely without questions. Kwit hasn't been a consistent starter and while he will be given every opportunity adding some more talent, speed, and playmaking ability at the LB spot is never a bad idea. ADG needs to add some weight and he's coming from less competition but the beauty of having guys like Littleton and Kwit on the team we don't have to force him into playing 75%+ of the snaps his rookie year. He can provide depth, play situationally as a blitzer, and matchup cover guy on tight ends and backs, and he can be an ace on special teams. Another guy that can provide depth to a team that needs it while also providing play in specific areas right off the bat. Not a prototypical SAM LB, but guys like him have a chance to really shine in today's NFL. 

Round 4, Pick 121 - Brandon Jones, S, Texas - Some may feel differently, but I absolutely LOVE this safety class, from the top to the guys expected to go in the mid rounds. And Jones is one of the guys I really like in this range. He's not the biggest, but his size isn't a liability. He's a terror coming downhill, a good tackler, and has a ton of experience playing a variety of roles. He needs some work in man coverage, but I believe he has the required athletic ability to be a positive in that area. I believe he could see a lot of playing time as the third safety, and another core special teams player. 

Round 5, Pick 159 - Lamical Perine, RB, Florida - Josh Jacob's was a sensation year one, the only real concerns we should have with him was that he wore down as the season went on because we lacked any real depth that could come in and run the ball effectively. Perine should ease those concerns. He can come in year one and keep the offense balanced with the ability to run the ball or catch it out of the backfield. Every rookie back needs to get better in pass protection and Perine is no exception. But a guy that can keep Jacob's fresh and effective down the stretch is a must. He fills that need. 

Thoughts? 

• Like 1

Is there a player in this draft that can play the SAM LB in the base and DE in Nickel. Similarly to how Von Miller was used when he played SAM in a 4-3 scheme. K'Lavon Chaisson, Zach Braun and Brandon Uche are the first names that stick out to me for that role.