2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The thing about Ruggs too is that everyone wants to pigeon hole him as strictly a deep threat because of his speed but that's not the case at all. He was targeted on slants, screens, and crossing routes just as much as he was targeted on go-routes. 

Right! Ruggs is a legit WR, with A+ speed. His speed alone would open up a ton, but he has more facets to his game, like the chart posted a couple of days ago that showed his targets were diverse than any of the other top WRs. I feel he’d be able to contribute out the gate with his speed, while he catches up to the speed and nuances of the position at the NFL level. Imagine Ruggs getting the rock on those jet sweeps, screens and reverses Trevor Davis was getting. I actually think he’s the safest of the WRs for the Raiders because he won’t be asked to be “The Guy” and carry the offense early. He’s the missing piece that fits perfectly with the rest of the offense.

i hate to say it, but he’d be Gruden’s Tyreek Hill. Throw him together with Waller and our run game and we’d be among the most explosive offenses in the NFL. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

You can find someone or two who says every player is worth a #21 pick for the top 60ish picks.

i liked Blacklock back when he was a 4th rounder but the guys always been a 2nd round pick... he’s just not that good.  If you want to Think so fine, doesn’t bother me.  Reality is it’s not likely Mayock would spend a 1st on a 3Tech given our roster unless Kinlaw or Brown falls.  Huge, huge gap in talent from them to Blacklock.  Just because Mahomes is good doesn’t mean Love will be and just because Chris Jones is good doesn’t mean Blacklock will be.  Chasing the “Next player X” is how you over pick someone drastically.

Blacklock is not getting selected in the 2nd Round. That is simply not happening. You are obviously lower on him than most people, which is fine. That’s an opinion. 

Also, why don’t you like Blacklock? Curious. His size, bullrush, and first step are great. And with Rod coaching, could be looking at a great 3T. Something you will never see with Hurst. 

Was Chris Jones a 2nd Rounder to you to because of his “stats”? Jones stats are bad because he never finished, but always won. Same thing with Blacklock. He always wins, but never finishes. 

Edited by BayRaider

3 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Right! Ruggs is a legit WR, with A+ speed. His speed alone would open up a ton, but he has more facets to his game, like the chart posted a couple of days ago that showed his targets were diverse than any of the other top WRs. I feel he’d be able to contribute out the gate with his speed, while he catches up to the speed and nuances of the position at the NFL level. Imagine Ruggs getting the rock on those jet sweeps, screens and reverses Trevor Davis was getting. I actually think he’s the safest of the WRs for the Raiders because he won’t be asked to be “The Guy” and carry the offense early. He’s the missing piece that fits perfectly with the rest of the offense.

i hate to say it, but he’d be Gruden’s Tyreek Hill. Throw him together with Waller and our run game and we’d be among the most explosive offenses in the NFL. 

I’m really warming up to Ruggs at 12. 

Jeudy will always be more crafty, a better route runner, probably a better third down converter, and I personally like Jeudy a lot. However, Ruggs has good size for his speed, great speed, super athletic for the NFL, very good hands, and is very well-rounded. And Ruggs opens up the whole offense. Look at Texans Offense with and without Fuller. Teams play them shallow without Fuller but respect the hell out of the Texans when Fuller is playing. Ruggs brings a new dimension to this offense. 

Henry Ruggs III is a defensive coordinator’s nightmare. Jerry Jeudy is not, as much as I do like Jeudy. 

• Like 1

Just now, BayRaider said:

I’m really warming up to Ruggs at 12. 

Jeudy will always be more crafty, a better route runner, probably a better third down converter, and I personally like Jeudy a lot. However, Ruggs has good size for his speed, great speed, super athletic for the NFL, very good hands, and is very well-rounded. And Ruggs opens up the whole offense. Look at Texans Offense with and without Fuller. Teams play them shallow without Fuller but respect the hell out of the Texans when Fuller is playing. Ruggs brings a new dimension to this offense. 

Henry Ruggs III is a defensive coordinator’s nightmare. Jerry Jeudy is not, as much as I do like Jeudy. 

i like Jeudy, but i feel hell make his money in the slot, and with 3rd and Renfrow on the roster i dont think wed maximize Jeudy's talents. I just think Ruggs fits in with what we have going on, and i think thats what good teams do is pick guys that fit their system and  maximize their strengths. 

All I know is forcing a cornerback at 19 is not a good idea. If it’s BPA, sure. And I’d assume Mayock wants value at 19 as well, he is the value king afterall. 

So if we go WR at 12, I want BPA on Defense at 19, whoever Mayock thinks that is between:

DT Ross Blacklock

S Grant Delpit

CB Jaylon Johnson

CB Kristian Fulton (hope not)

CB AJ Terrell

LB Patrick Queen

Whoever Mayock has BPA on defense, is who we will probably end up taking. 

Forcing a need is just fans trying to fit pegs in holes. If CB is not BPA at 19 according to Mayock, then CB won’t be the pick. If a guy like Jaylon Johnson is his BPA at that point, he will be the pick. 

Edited by BayRaider

30 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Agreed. Even if it’s two of the big three. It’s amazing what people come up with on here. We’d be the laughing stock of the NFL if we selected two WRs in the 1st, regardless of who they are. 

Take a moment and think about that. I think kc den, and la would not be laughing.  They would have to back up if we had both Alabama receivers. Jacobs job would be easier as we have one of the best offensive lines. Nobody could double our te. People mention rookie wr production . This is a true statement. But with that said. Defenses will have to respect Ruggs speed. That will open every thing up . No safety will be in the box. Again this is an option. 

• Like 2

Honestly... I will be the minority here I'm sure (and why I've held of making a mock draft), but this draft class is frustrating for the Raiders holding picks 12 and 19. 

The elite guys (at need spots for LV) in this draft are Young, Okudah, Brown and I'll put Simmons in here (though I think you need to have a plan for him to see his potential). If one of them make it to 12, that's the pick without hesitation. There is a strength at OT, which could help push one of those guys down maybe... hopefully, please?

Now... a smart GM will wait until rounds 2-4 to get WRs. Find the system fits and likely get the same production as you can with the top guys. Not flashy, but 

Leftover at CB, you have Henderson (who doesn't like to tackle) and then a bunch of 2nd round talents. Double for safety where none are true first round talents. 

LB feels set now, so Queen or Murray are almost luxuries and probably over drafted inside the top 25 if we're being honestly. Same with Dline where the talent is thin.

There is a lot of.... "if I squint hard enough, he kinda looks like this player" types in the draft. Ruggs/Hill, Love/Mahomes, Lamb/Hopkins. etc. 

Hard for me not to look at this draft and not come away with 1 of 2 scenarios:

• Scenario 1 - The "put all on black approach" - Trade up to land the "elite" prospect at a position of need. Fill holes in round 3. You get the true blue chip player on defense to transform the unit going forward. The fans won't like it because they overvalue draft picks.

• Scenario 2 - The "slow and steady approach" - Trade back early and often. Shoot for quantity of players. Trade around, land culture fit players with upside. Breed competition.

In that scenario, you're prudent. You trade down from 12. Don't worry about WR, you'll find 2 you like and will develop. You draft multiple DBs and see who fits and rises to the top. You stack up depth. 

Just my thoughts for the day. 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Blacklock is not getting selected in the 2nd Round. That is simply not happening. You are obviously lower on him than most people, which is fine. That’s an opinion. 

I love how you always talk in such absolutes as if you have any clue what will happen in the draft.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

He's not wrong. Jeudy is explosive and shifty, but he doesn't have any truly elite abilities like a Julio Jones coming out. He's great, but I don't think you'll ever argue "Jeudy is the best WR in the NFL" in his career.

Agreed but that’s a pretty high bar to set. Jamarr chase will meet that bar next year.

38 minutes ago, Geezy said:

I agree. Plus it makes sense now why he only had 1 drop on 126 targets the last two seasons seeing that he has huge hands. I agree that Ruggs would be an excellent addition to our offense because we could utilize him in a number of different ways including: screens, jet sweeps, reverses, crossing routes, slants, and to take the top off of the defense on go-routes. 

When you look at our weapons currently an addition like Ruggs should be more than enough. On the season Waller averaged 7 targets per game, Williams only averaged 4.5 targets but during the first 5 weeks when he was healthy he averaged 6 targets, and down the stretch in the final 6 games Renfrow averaged 7 targets per game as well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Agreed but that’s a pretty high bar to set. Jamarr chase will meet that bar next year.

WR are a dime a dozen for me when you are absent a Julio, Calvin type talent. You can find them later and develop them the same. 

Like give me a Reagor or Hamler later than Ruggs at 12. Yes, Ruggs is the better WR, but I can get what I need + something additional with those guys with a trade for example.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Honestly... I will be the minority here I'm sure (and why I've held of making a mock draft), but this draft class is frustrating for the Raiders holding picks 12 and 19..... (((condensed due to length))

..... Just my thoughts for the day. 

Incredible post. 100%.  The reality is this draft isn’t that great.  Sorry to say it but there’s a ton of will be first rounders that have 2nd round grades and would be 2nd rounders every other year.  
So either trade back and get the guys you like at value spots or trade up and get a star.

if we could create enough cap space to get some fillers like D.Randall at FS and a CB (Worley, etc) and Resign D.Jordan DL..... then I’d be down for trading some big draft capital for picks next year.... I’d rather turn 19 into a ‘21 first and ‘20 second (for example) then take a 2nd round grade CB/S at 19.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 3