2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

I agree people get to stuck with WR in the 1st. It’s usually my pick at 12 cause Jeudy/Ruggs are BPA. However, WR isn’t exactly as important of a position as QB, OT, DT, DE, and arguably many positions after that. 

I always thought the plan was to build the defense through the draft. If we did somehow come away with two defensive picks like DT/CB, and WR at Pick 80, I’d be ok with it. QB at 12? Ok with that to. Surprisingly ok with almost anything Mayock does at this point. 

An example: Derrick Brown and Jaylon Johnson

Edited by BayRaider

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

WR are a dime a dozen for me when you are absent a Julio, Calvin type talent. You can find them later and develop them the same. 

Like give me a Reagor or Hamler later than Ruggs at 12. Yes, Ruggs is the better WR, but I can get what I need + something additional with those guys with a trade for example.

I respect it because I like hamler and reagor.  But I do see star potential in ruggs jeudy and lamb. Maybe not of chases level, but can be viable primary options in the NFL. I think I personally place a higher value on a potential 1 than some. But to each their own. I don’t mind trading up for a star defender or trading back. Just depends on their evals of the WR class and finding value. I wouldn’t ideally want a 1st round corner or safety unless we’re stuck at 19.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I agree people get to stuck with WR in the 1st. It’s usually my pick at 12 cause Jeudy/Ruggs are BPA. However, WR isn’t exactly as important of a position as QB, OT, DT, DE, and arguably many positions after that. 

I always thought the plan was to build the defense through the draft. If we did somehow come away with two defensive picks like DT/CB, and WR at Pick 80, I’d be ok with it. QB at 12? Ok with that to. Surprisingly ok with almost anything Mayock does at this point. 

An example: Derrick Brown and Jaylon Johnson

If we skip taking a WR early and get someone in the middle rounds, everyone's going to be crying again about how Carr didn't have enough weapons in the passing game.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

WR are a dime a dozen for me when you are absent a Julio, Calvin type talent. You can find them later and develop them the same. 

Like give me a Reagor or Hamler later than Ruggs at 12. Yes, Ruggs is the better WR, but I can get what I need + something additional with those guys with a trade for example.

Ruggs speed is game changing though. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Um No! You are under selling Ruggs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

If we skip taking a WR early and get someone in the middle rounds, everyone's going to be crying again about how Carr didn't have enough weapons in the passing game.

That’s not an excuse to draft a WR though... I mean I’m all for drafting a WR, but Mayock isn’t going to be thinking “Better get Carr a WR or else these Carr fans won’t shut up and make excuses again” that’s definitely not gonna be his thought process lol. 

• Like 1

Just now, BayRaider said:

That’s not an excuse to draft a WR though... I mean I’m all for drafting a WR, but Mayock isn’t going to be thinking “Better get Carr a WR or else these Carr fans won’t shut up and make excuses again” that’s definitely not gonna be his thought process lol. 

The excuse to draft a WR is that we've lacked talent there for years and adding a very good one could transform our entire offense. Which is why we took a huge risk with Antonio Brown last offseason and we saw how his departure negatively effected our offense last season. 

• Like 1

Yeah he's going to be thinking better get Carr a WR because he stunk without one, and we need to know if he's the guy going forward.

2 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Yeah he's going to be thinking better get Carr a WR because he stunk without one, and we need to know if he's the guy going forward.

If he needs a 1st Round WR he’s not. The tricky part though is we don’t have a 2nd which is usually the WR Round in NFL History. And especially this year. 

I’d be happy with this: 

12. Henry Ruggs III

19. Jaylon Johnson

Johnson is a great scheme fit who plays mostly Cover 3 and Cover 1. We played more Cover 3 Press last year than any other coverage. It’s why Patrick Mahomes 7 worst quarters last year actually came against the Raiders. 2nd quarter in the 1st game being a Riley struggle that the DC never adjusted until halftime. Mahomes other 3 worst games of the year were Chargers x2 and the 49ers. Also Cover 3 Press teams. One of the reasons I don’t think Johnson gets past the 49ers at 31. And I’ve seen several mocks lately with Johnson going 22 to the Vikings. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Agreed. Even if it’s two of the big three. It’s amazing what people come up with on here. We’d be the laughing stock of the NFL if we selected two WRs in the 1st, regardless of who they are. 

really? this kind of statement about other posters is what really pisses me off wiley….everyone gets their chance to voice and discuss any and every scenario. you yourself have even suggested this "go outta the box" type of mock/discussion. and here you are with the smug, super genious swipe at people. and you wonder why people come at ya the way they do sometimes? smh.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Devilshark69 said:

really? this kind of statement about other posters is what really pisses me off wiley….everyone gets their chance to voice and discuss any and every scenario. you yourself have even suggested this "go outta the box" type of mock/discussion. and here you are with the smug, super genious swipe at people. and you wonder why people come at ya the way they do sometimes? smh.

If you told any GM draft two WRs in the 1st Round, they would laugh you out of the room. If you can’t see how mind boggling bad of an idea that is, not sure what to tell you. WR is one of the lowest 1st Round priority positions there is, and a team drafting two there in the same draft is asinine. 

They are more than welcome to have their opinion, though.  

49 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Honestly... I will be the minority here I'm sure (and why I've held of making a mock draft), but this draft class is frustrating for the Raiders holding picks 12 and 19. 

The elite guys (at need spots for LV) in this draft are Young, Okudah, Brown and I'll put Simmons in here (though I think you need to have a plan for him to see his potential). If one of them make it to 12, that's the pick without hesitation. There is a strength at OT, which could help push one of those guys down maybe... hopefully, please?

Now... a smart GM will wait until rounds 2-4 to get WRs. Find the system fits and likely get the same production as you can with the top guys. Not flashy, but 

Leftover at CB, you have Henderson (who doesn't like to tackle) and then a bunch of 2nd round talents. Double for safety where none are true first round talents. 

LB feels set now, so Queen or Murray are almost luxuries and probably over drafted inside the top 25 if we're being honestly. Same with Dline where the talent is thin.

There is a lot of.... "if I squint hard enough, he kinda looks like this player" types in the draft. Ruggs/Hill, Love/Mahomes, Lamb/Hopkins. etc. 

Hard for me not to look at this draft and not come away with 1 of 2 scenarios:

• Scenario 1 - The "put all on black approach" - Trade up to land the "elite" prospect at a position of need. Fill holes in round 3. You get the true blue chip player on defense to transform the unit going forward. The fans won't like it because they overvalue draft picks.

• Scenario 2 - The "slow and steady approach" - Trade back early and often. Shoot for quantity of players. Trade around, land culture fit players with upside. Breed competition.

In that scenario, you're prudent. You trade down from 12. Don't worry about WR, you'll find 2 you like and will develop. You draft multiple DBs and see who fits and rises to the top. You stack up depth. 

Just my thoughts for the day. 

if you read my earlier post bp youd certainly know I agree 100% with this. both picks should be shopped for sure. so I guess ill go scenario #2. this is funny because I almost did a 2 mock post earlier (rethought because its just not necessary.lol). I don't agree with you 100% of the time, but we definitely have similar opinions about a lot of things. I definitely smiled at the squint hard enough part, closely mirrors what I meant with the "nit picking and do I value player a more than player b" part of that post. good GM`s don't squint, they just go by their board and I don't believe mayock is a squinter, lot of quotes about staying true to his board from last years draft.

• Like 1

If you told any GM draft two WRs in the 1st Round, they would laugh you out of the room. If you can’t see how mind boggling bad of an idea that is, not sure what to tell you. WR is one of the lowest 1st Round priority positions there is, and a team drafting two there in the same draft is asinine. 

They are more than welcome to have their opinion, though.  

thanks for coming off at me like the super genious again, never said I liked the idea (capology 101 says its a bad idea first off.lol). I know how low of a priority it is thanks, ive posted at least twice about how the position will get pushed down and devalued by gm`s across the board due to depth and overall positional value so you don't need to "tell" me a damn F*cking thing. all I was saying is that you talk about posters like theyre dullards (wont use the other word outta respect to SB) or 3rd graders in your world of PHD`s. (are you picking up on my sarcasm wiley cuz im laying it down DOUBLE thick.lmao!) H*ll , im not even the first to mention this, guess me and JK will have to be part of the Big Palooka Cult! you`re sh*tting on a new posters ideas and when you get called out for it by 2 different members you what? you flippin insult my intelligence with your comeback and fail miserably to even get the point....oh that's right, you kind of did by giving your permission for them to have their opinion....how magnanimous of you wiley! and now...back to our regularly scheduled program.lmfao!!

• Like 1