2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

5 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I just can’t see Mayock taking a corner who won’t tackle...

Missed tackles have huge consequences in the NFL. 

I think the same. I don't think Henderson's tackling deficiency is as bad as Conley's, but it is noticeably an issue. And you're right, a corner missing a tackle usually means a big play for the offense.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I think the same. I don't think Henderson's tackling deficiency is as bad as Conley's, but it is noticeably an issue. And you're right, a corner missing a tackle usually means a big play for the offense.

Daniel Jeremiah knows Mayock and thought the same. Gave us my guy Terrell at 19.

58 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I just can’t see Mayock taking a corner who won’t tackle...

Missed tackles have huge consequences in the NFL. 

FWIW missed tackles in 2019

Okudah - 8

Henderson - 9 

Terrell - 10

Johnson - 2 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

FWIW missed tackles in 2019

Okudah - 8

Henderson - 9 

Terrell - 10

Johnson - 2 

With Henderson, it's more the lack of willingness to engage in tackling. He acts like he doesn't want a part of it in the run game. Gets stuck on blocks from WRs. Just doesn't play physical outside. 

I have no issue with mis-tackles if the player at least shows a willingness to stick his nose in there and make a play. Terrell/Okudah/Johnson play this way. Henderson, you just don't see it. Even worse is how often the announcers will call him out for it lol.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Dane Brugler from the Athletic mock draft

12. CeeDee Lamb - WR

19. AJ Terell -CB

80. Jalen Hurts -QB

81. John Simpson -OG

91. Terrell Burgess -S? CB? 

121. Leki Fotu -DT

159. Tanner Muse -LB

I like it. Burgess is a low key draft pick who could take Joyner's role in 2021 as a nickel corner/safety. 

• Like 2

This is what Brugler said about the Burgess pick

"I haven't talked to Mike Mayock specifically about Burgess, but I would bet good money he has a high grade on Burgess. A former defensive back himself, Mayock has an understandable affinity for smart, tough safeties who can cover - this would be a great fit for both sides".

8 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Dane Brugler from the Athletic mock draft

12. CeeDee Lamb - WR

19. AJ Terell -CB

80. Jalen Hurts -QB

81. John Simpson -OG

91. Terrell Burgess -S? CB? 

121. Leki Fotu -DT

159. Tanner Muse -LB

That's a decent haul. Love the first round but not a huge fan of investing a third round pick in the interior OL. We should be set there with Jackson and Incognito starting plus guys like Good, Devey, James, and Kush all battling it out behind them. I like Hurts as a developmental QB prospect but again I don't think it's a necessary with Carr/Mariota already in the room, wouldn't hate it though. 

Burgess is a guy that I love and think he'd be an excellent backup DB before taking over for Randall in 2021. Fotu would be a nice pick too as a backup and eventual replacement for Hankins as a NT that can free up space for the rest of our DL. 

Tanner Muse as a developmental linebacker would be a nice value that late. He played safety at Clemson and ran a 4.41 at the combine at 6'1" 227. Could be a similar player to Kwit. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

With Henderson, it's more the lack of willingness to engage in tackling. He acts like he doesn't want a part of it in the run game. Gets stuck on blocks from WRs. Just doesn't play physical outside. 

I have no issue with mis-tackles if the player at least shows a willingness to stick his nose in there and make a play. Terrell/Okudah/Johnson play this way. Henderson, you just don't see it. Even worse is how often the announcers will call him out for it lol.

Interesting to see that according to one GM, 40% of teams in the league have Henderson as CB1 over Okudah. If he can clean the tackling up with his frame, athleticism, and coverage ability he can certainly be a CB1. I haven't seen enough tape to comment on him but read that he was a better tackler/more competitive on his 2018 tape. 

I think Jalen Hurts makes sense as Mariota or Carr being gone for cap space in 2021, that would give Hurts a year to develop into either a backup on the cheap or potential starter if it panned out and it's not the investment 12 or 19 would take.

I know a lot of you don't like him (mostly BayRaider I think) but if for some freak reason Justin Herbert is there at 19 I'd take him (Tua @12, Herbert @19, or Hurts in the third are the QBs I'm down with... obviously Burrow as well but that's impossible). Hurts in the third is the only reasonable fall I think.

Edited by Trojan

5 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I think Jalen Hurts makes sense as Mariota or Carr being gone for cap space in 2021, that would give Hurts a year to develop into either a backup on the cheap or potential starter if it panned out and it's not the investment 12 or 19 would take.

I know a lot of you don't like him (mostly BayRaider I think) but if for some freak reason Justin Herbert is there at 19 I'd take him (Tua @12, Herbert @19, or Hurts in the third are the QBs I'm down with... obviously Burrow as well but that's impossible). Hurts in the third is the only reasonable fall I think.

Hurt wouldn't be a terrible pick and I could understand why they'd take him. But I just think with as many holes as we have on defense we should attack that side aggressively in the draft again this year. One thing that I think is interesting is that if Mariota is the starter and Hurts is the backup you can run the same scheme as both guys are dynamic enough to use their legs.

• Like 1

ESPN did an article discussing potential trades for every first round pick. 

For the 12th pick they suggested trading it to Green Bay for #30 and a 2021 1st round pick. In this scenario the Packers would be jumping up to grab the top WR on the board to give Rodgers the legit weapon needed to make one last run. I'd actually like this deal because having another 1st in 2021 would give us the draft capital to move up for Fields/Lawerence if we wanted to go that direction. 

For the 19th pick they suggested trading it to Indianapolis for #34 and #44.