2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

15 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Mayock said the same thing. With 5 top 100 picks that should be 5 future starters. Super excited to see what he does in year two. All of our rookies from last years group looked like they'll be starters or rotational pieces here other than Abram and Johnson who we didn't see much of due to injury. That's how you build a good team that can remain competitive and was Reggie's biggest downfall, IMO. With Mayock he's hitting on guys like Crosby, Renfrow, Moreau, etc. in the middle rounds so you're getting starting caliber players for 4-5 seasons playing for peanuts. That allows you to give your star talent big extensions because you have good young players across the roster on cheap deals. 

Hitting on late picks is tough but even looking at rounds 2-4, Reggie regularly missed the mark. 

2012: Tony Bergstrom (3rd), Miles Burris (4th)

2013: Menelik Watson (2nd), Sio Moore (3rd), Tyler Wilson (4th)

2014: Derek Carr (2nd), Gabe Jackson (3rd), Justin Ellis (4th), Keith McGill (4th)

2015: Mario Edwards (2nd), Clive Walford (3rd), Jon Feliciano (4th)

2016: Jihad Ward (2nd), Shilique Calhoun (3rd), Connor Cook (4th)

2017: Obi Melifonwu (2nd), Eddie Vanderdoes (3rd), David Sharpe (4th)

2018: PJ Hall (2nd), Brandon Parker (3rd), Arden Key (3rd), Nick Nelson (4th)

The only legit starters he found were Carr, Jackson, and Ellis. Parker, Sharpe, Key, and Hall all look like solid backups but the jury is still out.

Those drafts were rough.  Who, what, and why echoed through my house a lot.  The only picks I liked were 2014 and Obi.  I believe Parker could have been better if we did not try to move him to the right side.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I like Simmons but certainly wouldn't give up two first round picks to go get him. He's going to be very good but at the same time we already have two 3-down LB's in Kwit and Littleton plus two safety/LB hybrid types in Abram and Heath that you can play in the box a ton. 

I said 2020 pick OR 2021 pick... not both.

And SImmons is the type of player that it doesn't matter who you have at what position. You put him on the field, he doesn't come off and he makes your unit better. Who cares if we have two 3 down linebackers or box safeties if he can play in space as good or better than most those players at those positions in the NFL PLUS he can play edge, blitz, cover the slot, flat, middle of the field and blanket TE's all while running faster than most WRs. I don't wanna hear that position nonsense when it comes to him. He is a DC wet dream.

56 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

There really isn't any player worth giving up two first round picks for IMO. Simmons is a great talent and will be the ultimate chest piece to move around the field. But a high end #1 CB is more valuable than a hybrid LB/S. 

your wrong.

4 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

This is what I'd do. I'm sure most of y'all will hate it lol.

12. CJ Henderson, CB Flordia

19. Laviska Shenault JR, WR Colorado

80. Jalen Hurts, QB Oklahoma

81. Terrell Burgess, S Utah

91. Eno Benjamin, RB Arizona ST

121. Kenny Willekes, EDGE Michigan ST

159. David Woodward, LB Utah ST

I'd be stoked with this. I'd probably prefer Cam Akers at #80 and another CB or LB at #91 but overall I'd be pretty thrilled with this.

Henderson has legit CB1 ability and should be a plug and play starter as a rookie. Shenault needs to improve his route running but he can line up at all 3 WR spots, has strong hands, and is a monster after the catch. If he can improve his route running and stay healthy he's going to be very good. I also like him here too because even if he's not a dominant #1 WR right away you can still use him in a variety of ways to make plays.

14 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

This is what I'd do. I'm sure most of y'all will hate it lol.

12. CJ Henderson, CB Flordia

19. Laviska Shenault JR, WR Colorado

80. Jalen Hurts, QB Oklahoma

81. Terrell Burgess, S Utah

91. Eno Benjamin, RB Arizona ST

121. Kenny Willekes, EDGE Michigan ST

159. David Woodward, LB Utah ST

Shenault is horrendous value at 19. I like him as a player, but no way he's a top 20 player in this class. 

Hurts is not an NFL qb rn. Henderson doesn't tackle anyone. 

Unfortunately you're right, I do hate it.

• Like 2

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

Shenault is horrendous value at 19. I like him as a player, but no way he's a top 20 player in this class. 

Shenault would shock me, because the Raiders need a target hog at WR, not a project with injury concerns and a limited route tree.

3 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Those drafts were rough.  Who, what, and why echoed through my house a lot.  The only picks I liked were 2014 and Obi.  I believe Parker could have been better if we did not try to move him to the right side.

His 1st round selection suck too , man I hated Reggie and I wanted him fired so bad.

From his pick of coaches to his draft picks to his FAs the man was horrible

Just now, massraider said:

Shenault would shock me, because the Raiders need a target hog at WR, not a project with injury concerns and a limited route tree.

Exactly. Mims and Reagor are much better prospects and easier projections than Shenault and both should be there at 19.

Shenault has fantastic upside, but no way I touch him until the 2nd. The bust potential is also big.

4 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

so glad Reggie is gone. Idk how he drafted Mack, and Carr with that track record. So glad Gruden took a back seat to Mayock because 2018 not looking that great, and we had some many assets. 

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I agree that Laviska could probably be gotten later in the rd but I don't think he'll be there in the 2nd like some do and I like him more than some riser like Mims, Raegor and Tee Higgins. Only WRs I have ranked above him are the big 3 and Jefferson with Pittman and Aiyuk right with him.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, massraider said:

I like Justin Blackmon as well later.

If a drafted S steps up, I don't think Heath, Harris, or Randall's spot is secure.

I liked the Randall signing, but he was sitting there in FA, not a priority for anyone.

I think Heath and Randall's spots are secured. Heath is going to be a hybrid LB/S for us and will see the field a ton. Randall will get the first go as the starting FS but even if a rookie beats him out I think he makes the team because we're going to play Heath/Abram in the box a ton and he can play some nickel as well. I could see Harris potentially being cut but at the same time he's solid depth with 2 years in Gunther's system, is a quality ST player, and is a FA after this year anyway. 

Plus if you cut one of those guys and roll with say Heath/Randall/Abram/Rookie, you're going into the season with 2 rookie safeties. I wish we'd just move Joyner back to FS but it's pretty evident that's not happening considering we rolled with Curtis Riley as a starter rather than moving him. Joyner played at a borderline elite level as a FS with the Rams but for whatever reason the staff is dead set on keeping him at the nickel spot. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

I think Heath and Randall's spots are secured. Heath is going to be a hybrid LB/S for us and will see the field a ton. Randall will get the first go as the starting FS but even if a rookie beats him out I think he makes the team because we're going to play Heath/Abram in the box a ton and he can play some nickel as well. I could see Harris potentially being cut but at the same time he's solid depth with 2 years in Gunther's system, is a quality ST player, and is a FA after this year anyway. 

Plus if you cut one of those guys and roll with say Heath/Randall/Abram/Rookie, you're going into the season with 2 rookie safeties. I wish we'd just move Joyner back to FS but it's pretty evident that's not happening considering we rolled with Curtis Riley as a starter rather than moving him. Joyner played at a borderline elite level as a FS with the Rams but for whatever reason the staff is dead set on keeping him at the nickel spot. 

Long term starters on defense

DE- Max/Nassib

DT- ? 

NT- Hankins - could draft cheap replacement

DE- Ferrell

WLB- Littleton

MLB- Koski

SLB- ?

CB- Mullen

CB- ?

FS- ?

SS- Abram

Collins/Randall are on make or break contracts. Could easily draft projects at those spots if there is can't miss talent. 

Just now, NightTrainLane said:

I agree that Laviska could probably be gotten later in the rd but I don't think he'll be there in the 2nd like some do and I like him more than some riser like Mims, Raegor and Tee Higgins. Only WRs I have ranked above him are the big 3 and Jefferson with Pittman and Aiyuk right with him.

After the top 3 WR's if I was ranking who I'd want here: 

1. Laviska Shenault Jr.

2. Denzel Mims 

3. Jalen Reagor 

4. Brandon Aiyuk 

5. Justin Jefferson 

• Like 1