• Joe Namath
    • John Elway
    • Dan Marino
    • Jim Kelly
    • Boomer Esiason
    • Brett Favre
    • Roger Staubach

40 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

This may surprise some but I put Troy Aikman up there, would he have been able to win 3 super bowls or be the same HOF'r he is on another team that wasn't as loaded? I personally don't think so

That's why I have him #2, and Bradshaw #1.  Bradshaw had more skill players (Swann, Stallworth, Harris, Bleier, Grossman, Cunningham) than Aikman (Irvin, Smith, Novacek, (Harper was OVERRATED)), but didn't have the same O-Line as him, but Aikman didn't have the Steel Curtain defense that Bradshaw had.  The only reason Bradshaw has 1 more ring than Aikman is because Jackie Smith forgot how to catch.

• Like 1

On 30/05/2019 at 5:01 AM, kingseanjohn said:

1a. Namath

1b. Elway

3. Aikman

** Wonders how anyone can put Elway in the same breath as Namath **
** Sees Pat Mahomes sig **
** No longer needs an explanation **

Absolutely laughable that anyone can call John Elway overrated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

** Wonders how anyone can put Elway in the same breath as Namath **
** Sees Pat Mahomes sig **
** No longer needs an explanation **

Absolutely laughable that anyone can call John Elway overrated.

How is he not?

16 game average: 502 attempts, 286 completions, 57% completion, 3,565 yards, 21 touchdowns, 16 interceptions, a 79.9 quarterback rating

Playoffs: 22 games, 651 attempts, 355 completions, 54.5% completion, 4,964 yards, 27 touchdowns, 21 interceptions, a 79.7 quarterback rating

Superbowls: 5 games, 152 attempts, 76 completions, 50% completion, 1,128 yards, three touchdowns, eight interceptions, a 59.3 quarterback rating

It took Terrell Davis and a pretty good supporting cast to carry Elway to those two Super Bowl wins.

• Like 4

Watching film of Elway he looked pretty amazing. 

But he certainly never was backed up by good stats. Easy to see why fans today call him overrated. He won 1987 MVP but did not win first team all-pro, that honor went to Joe Montana

• Like 1

John Elway finished top 10 in passer rating only 4 times out of his 16 career seasons.  '93, '94, '96, and '97. Not once in the first decade of his career. He's overrated when you consider that his name if often thrown up there with historical greats as if he's some top 10 sort of guy. I don't think I"d put him in the top 25 QBs all time.

Edited by Danger

35 minutes ago, Danger said:

John Elway finished top 10 in passer rating only 4 times out of his 16 career seasons.  '93, '94, '96, and '97. Not once in the first decade of his career. He's overrated when you consider that his name if often thrown up there with historical greats as if he's some top 10 sort of guy. I don't think I"d put him in the top 25 QBs all time.

Set yourself up with this one.  B|    Let's see this list.

1 minute ago, carrolljcmc said:

Set yourself up with this one.  B|    Let's see this list.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1983/passing.htm

You can search by year, then sort by rating.

83: 54.9 (27th)
84: 76.8 (17th)
85: 70.2 (17th)
86: 79.0 (11th)
87: 83.4 (11th)
88: 71.4 (18th)
89: 73.7 (17th)
90: 78.5 (14th)
91: 75.4 (19th)
92: 65.7 (20th)
93: 92.8 (3rd)
94: 85.7 (4th)
95: 86.4 (14th)
96: 89.2 (4th)
97: 87.5 (7th)
98: 93.0 (5th)*

I missed '98 admittedly. Thought he already retired. That said, doesn't change the fact that for the first 2/3 of his career, he was middling at best.

21 minutes ago, Danger said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1983/passing.htm

You can search by year, then sort by rating.

83: 54.9 (27th)
84: 76.8 (17th)
85: 70.2 (17th)
86: 79.0 (11th)
87: 83.4 (11th)
88: 71.4 (18th)
89: 73.7 (17th)
90: 78.5 (14th)
91: 75.4 (19th)
92: 65.7 (20th)
93: 92.8 (3rd)
94: 85.7 (4th)
95: 86.4 (14th)
96: 89.2 (4th)
97: 87.5 (7th)
98: 93.0 (5th)*

I missed '98 admittedly. Thought he already retired. That said, doesn't change the fact that for the first 2/3 of his career, he was middling at best.

That's not your top 25 QB's of all time..

Just now, carrolljcmc said:

That's not your top 25 QB's of all time..

Lets go down the list of those playing right now.

Tom Brady 
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Ben Roethlisberger
Russell Wilson
Matt Ryan
Andrew Luck
Philip Rivers

Amongst many others I expect to overtake Elway by the end of their respective careers. 

Just going to list some other off the top of my head.

Brett Favre
Peyton Manning
Kurt Warner
Steve Young
Joe Montana
Roger Staubach
Otto Graham
Johnny Unitas
Dan Marino
Dan Fouts
Bart Starr
Sonny Jurgensen 

Are all QBs I would absolutely say were better in their era than John Elway was in his.

There are quite a number more that have an argument such as:

YA Tittle
Warren Moon
Len Dawson
Randall Cunningham
Jim Kelly

Probably others as well. But looking at it I'll probably have him somewhere between 20-25.

I've seen lists with him in the top 5 all time, which is outright disgraceful.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Lets go down the list of those playing right now.

Tom Brady 
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Ben Roethlisberger
Russell Wilson
Matt Ryan
Andrew Luck
Philip Rivers

Amongst many others I expect to overtake Elway by the end of their respective careers. 

Just going to list some other off the top of my head.

Brett Favre
Peyton Manning
Kurt Warner
Steve Young
Joe Montana
Roger Staubach
Otto Graham
Johnny Unitas
Dan Marino
Dan Fouts
Bart Starr
Sonny Jurgensen 

Are all QBs I would absolutely say were better in their era than John Elway was in his.

There are quite a number more that have an argument such as:

YA Tittle
Warren Moon
Len Dawson
Randall Cunningham
Jim Kelly

Probably others as well. But looking at it I'll probably have him somewhere between 20-25.

I've seen lists with him in the top 5 all time, which is outright disgraceful.

I agree about the top 5 all time, definitely not top 5.  I will respectfully disagree about Matt Ryan, stats alone can't be the basis for ranking players/greats.  Jay Cutler had better stats than Aikman, and while I feel Aikman is overrated, I don't believe Cutler is better than Aikman by any stretch.

I won't/can't speak to Bart Starr, Otto Graham, Sonny Jurgensen, Johnny Unitas, YA Tittle, or Len Dawson as I've never personally seen them play, nor have I taken the time to see if there is film on them, all I have is stats, legend, and stories.

2 minutes ago, carrolljcmc said:

I agree about the top 5 all time, definitely not top 5.  I will respectfully disagree about Matt Ryan, stats alone can't be the basis for ranking players/greats.  Jay Cutler had better stats than Aikman, and while I feel Aikman is overrated, I don't believe Cutler is better than Aikman by any stretch.

I won't/can't speak to Bart Starr, Otto Graham, Sonny Jurgensen, Johnny Unitas, YA Tittle, or Len Dawson as I've never personally seen them play, nor have I taken the time to see if there is film on them, all I have is stats, legend, and stories.

It's basically impossible to do that. All in all the most straightforward metric to use is how does their statistics fair compared to their peers?

Elway really didn't play anywhere near HoF level until 93. Then he had a good 5-6 year run.

1) Elway. Often considered top 10 all-time (fringe top 5 by some) and I honestly don't understand why. I was never terribly impressed with him when I watched him. He could throw it really hard, but just wasn't that accurate.

2) Namath. All about what he said before SB3 than anything.

Aikman and Bradshaw I don't think are as overrated. They are properly rated in the top 20 vicinity. I don't think there are many that consider them to be near the top of the all-time greats.

• Like 1