Official 2020 WR Thread

CalhounLambeau

On 6/9/2019 at 4:54 AM, VanS said:

I'll never understand why people fall for WRs that lack freakish attributes that high in the draft.  Jerry Jeudy is very unremarkable physically.  He just has great collegiate production going for him and that rarely correlates to NFL success.  I wouldn't even rate him in my top 3 receivers for next year's draft.

Here are my top WRs in the 2020 NFL Draft:

1. Tee Higgins (Clemson) - NFL comp: AJ Green

2. Marquez Callaway (Tennessee) - NFL comp: DeAndre Hopkins

3. Bryan Edwards (South Carolina) - NFL comp: Allen Robinson

Bryan Edwards I like, love how physical and strong he is but no way is he top 3 in this class.  He is more of a taller but more poor mans Anquan Boldin type with his toughness and strength but lacking speed than a Allen Robinson type I feel.  Hopefully OrTre Smith comes back healthy and can perform, physically that kid is very impressive I feel and combine he, Edwards and Shi Smith they have a decent WR core.  

Callaway could have a breakout year, he has a lot of upside but again not top 3 in this class no way.  He also has some injury issues he has to get past as well.

It is Jeudy as the clear #1 then Lamb and Higgins and not too far behind that would be Ruggs III.  How would you call Jeudy not a impressive athlete physically?  Kid is quick as can be, can make cuts few receivers can make and has big time burner speed.  Can make contested catches as well and is easily the hardest WR to cover in the nation I feel, really broke out last season but could be even better this up coming year.  He was the key to that explosive Alabama offense and is just as good as Cooper, maybe not as strong or big but is just as big of a weapon and arguably better after the catch and has better foot quickness and speed overall.  

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Bryan Edwards I like, love how physical and strong he is but no way is he top 3 in this class.  He is more of a taller but more poor mans Anquan Boldin type with his toughness and strength but lacking speed than a Allen Robinson type I feel.  Hopefully OrTre Smith comes back healthy and can perform, physically that kid is very impressive I feel and combine he, Edwards and Shi Smith they have a decent WR core.  

Callaway could have a breakout year, he has a lot of upside but again not top 3 in this class no way.  He also has some injury issues he has to get past as well.

It is Jeudy as the clear #1 then Lamb and Higgins and not too far behind that would be Ruggs III.  How would you call Jeudy not a impressive athlete physically?  Kid is quick as can be, can make cuts few receivers can make and has big time burner speed.  Can make contested catches as well and is easily the hardest WR to cover in the nation I feel, really broke out last season but could be even better this up coming year.  He was the key to that explosive Alabama offense and is just as good as Cooper, maybe not as strong or big but is just as big of a weapon and arguably better after the catch and has better foot quickness and speed overall.  

He looks small and frail on the field.  I like my receivers to be 6'2" or taller.  Also I like my receivers to make contested catches.   Didn't see much of that with Jeudy.  

Given that you named Lamb and Ruggs as other receivers you liked, you must be more of a stats guy than an eye test guy.  I personally don't put one ounce of value on college production.  I only watch the games and look to see if players stands out.  

How a player stands out to me is by making plays that are not routine.  Guys who make big time plays that showcase elite skill and athleticism.  I haven't watched Bryan Edwards much but I have seen him enough to where he jumped off the screen to me when I saw him play.  Same with Marquez Callaway.   And obviously Tee Higgins.  They just jump off the screen.  I can't say that about the guys you named.  They look to me like stat compilers rather than elite players.  

Edited by VanS

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

VanS is a bit of a Tennessee homer remember that. Kamara he was right about but Dobbs...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VanS said:

He looks small and frail on the field.  I like my receivers to be 6'2" or taller.  Also I like my receivers to make contested catches.   Didn't see much of that with Jeudy.  

Given that you named Lamb and Ruggs as other receivers you liked, you must be more of a stats guy than an eye test guy.  I personally don't put one ounce of value on college production.  I only watch the games and look to see if players stands out.  

How a player stands out to me is by making plays that are not routine.  Guys who make big time plays that showcase elite skill and athleticism.  I haven't watched Bryan Edwards much but I have seen him enough to where he jumped off the screen to me when I saw him play.  Same with Marquez Callaway.   And obviously Tee Higgins.  They just jump off the screen.  I can't say that about the guys you named.  They look to me like stat compilers rather than elite players.  

TepidImpossibleLamprey-max-1mb.gif

HatefulAltruisticArmyant-size_restricted

FlawlessUnitedChick-max-1mb.gif

jerry-jeudy-alabama.gif

If you think Jeudy is not physically elite as a player I have no clue what you are watching.  And the days of only big WRs being successful in the NFL are over, smaller guys have shown to be quite successful especially in slot WR positions.  And with the rule changes being fast and quick with your feet at WR is more important than being this tank out there but lacking in mobility.  Jeudy is super quick off the line and could play in the slot or could stretch a defense as well on the sideline.  And what about Lamb makes him a stats guy?  He is better than Higgins, better as a route runner and has arguably better hands as well.  And you have only watched Edwards a little bit yet rank him 3rd overall at WR?  That just seems odd to me, you should have been watching him or watched him a little since he was a FR in college since he is a SR now and he has played every year he has been at South Carolina.

9 hours ago, Counselor said:

VanS is a bit of a Tennessee homer remember that. Kamara he was right about but Dobbs...

Yeah I know that, and he also thought Warrior and Bituli are elite level defenders as well on Tennessee when to me both still have a lot to prove.  Will be interesting how Taylor does on the edge as more of a 3/4 OLB he might do very well this up coming season.  

• Like 4

Apparently because he’s not 6’2.

Like Odell Beckham, Antonio Brown, DeAndre Hopkins, Amari Cooper, Stefon Diggs, Steve Smith, TY Hilton, Julian Edelman, DeSean Jackson, Greg Jennings, Torry Holt, Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Steve Largent, Wes Welker, Isaac Bruce, Tyreek Hill... yeah I could do this forever.

• Like 3

On 6/11/2019 at 5:59 PM, Ozzy said:

and has big time burner speed

I don't agree with this. Jeudy is definitely the WR #1 in this class and in most others, but I wouldn't say he has "big time burner speed." He's definitely not even close to slow, but he doesn't just torch coverages on 9 routes. He's just an elite route runner with awesome quickness and open field vision. Catches everything, plays big....does everything great, but he isn't running a 4.3 or even low 4.4.   It doesn't mean he won't be a superstar in the NFL, but I can't see him gliding past CB's on straight vertical routes. He's not that kind of athlete.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don't agree with this. Jeudy is definitely the WR #1 in this class and in most others, but I wouldn't say he has "big time burner speed." He's definitely not even close to slow, but he doesn't just torch coverages on 9 routes. He's just an elite route runner with awesome quickness and open field vision. Catches everything, plays big....does everything great, but he isn't running a 4.3 or even low 4.4.   It doesn't mean he won't be a superstar in the NFL, but I can't see him gliding past CB's on straight vertical routes. He's not that kind of athlete.

Really?  I would be surprised if he did not run a 4.4 40 or better.  The kid has jets, sure helps he can stop on a dime but if he gets a free release he is gone.  I see him as having big time speed and game breaking speed.  And yes he does torch coverages on 9 routes at times.  Anyone that can take a short pass and house it from 50 yards out, yeah you have some speed to your game.  

alabama-jerry-jeudy-nfl-draft.gif

QuickWickedBighornsheep-max-1mb.gif

ClumsyWaryAmericanlobster-max-1mb.gif

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Apparently because he’s not 6’2.

Like Odell Beckham, Antonio Brown, DeAndre Hopkins, Amari Cooper, Stefon Diggs, Steve Smith, TY Hilton, Julian Edelman, DeSean Jackson, Greg Jennings, Torry Holt, Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Steve Largent, Wes Welker, Isaac Bruce, Tyreek Hill... yeah I could do this forever.

I'm pretty sure some those WRs you listed are legit 6'2 which is the standard for WR height. 

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

He ran a 4.55

I do not follow Junior Pro Day numbers that closely but this says he ran a 4.4 and his teammate Ruggs ran a 4.25.  And on the field Jeudy looks faster than Ruggs does in my book, or is at least similar in terms of speed.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/alabama-wr-reportedly-runs-blazing-40-time-at-junior-pro-day/

So to call Jeudy a 4.55 guy, no.  

• Like 1

Just now, Ozzy said:

I do not follow Junior Pro Day numbers that closely but this says he ran a 4.4 and his teammate Ruggs ran a 4.25.  And on the field Jeudy looks faster than Ruggs does in my book, or is at least similar in terms of speed.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/alabama-wr-reportedly-runs-blazing-40-time-at-junior-pro-day/

Man Ruggs is wayyy faster than Jeudy!

Good catch. I know for a fact I read somewhere he ran a 4.55. 

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Jeudy is a playmaker not a track star. Mid 4.4 seems realistic.