Who are the worthwhile recent cuts?

RaidersAreOne

From the Eagles:

Don Cherry-Limited upside but solid depth LB and special teams guy

Alex McCallister-Really long, lanky DE. I thought he was really improving, not getting pushed around so much. He's a developmental guy I think worth stashing.

Billy Brown-undrafted WR who turned into a tight end for us. He was quick in his routes and caught the ball well, and he was a willing blocker but admittedly that still needs lots of work technique-wise. 

Dillon Gordon-Struggles in preseason led to his cut, but he's always been a project. 2nd year, plays OT, OG, FB, and TE. None particularly great but he's worthy of a roster spot imo.

Bryce Treggs-Should have made it over Shelton Gibson. Speedy outside WR

Justin Hamilton-Solid pass rushing DT

Taylor Hart-Switched from DT to OT and actually did ok. If you have a real weak oline, he isn't the worst choice for a backup OT who can play 3 or 5 tech in a pinch

For the Falcons Chris Odom is a really good player and a cut we made that will help some team for sure imo.  I thought he outplayed the majority of the people on our team in the preseason when he was on the field.  I would have rather kept him over  a few of our CB's and maybe even Hill our RB.   i personally don't think we needed 4 RB's on the team and would have prefered a extra D-lineman.  

A surprise cut that i would love the Falcons to look into is Dorian Johnson OG from the Cardinals.  He was very high on my board for OG's this offseason and in a few of my drafts for us and the Falcons showed quite a bit of interest in him before the mock.

18 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

TJ Ward, Tyler Orlosky, and Brad Kaaya are the "WTF" cuts for me. I haven't seen them play in the preseason, but still kind of shocked based on college tape and TJ Ward's past play.

I assume kaaya was cut to be put on practice squad, would love to poach him for miami's practice squad.

50 minutes ago, Iced_Earth said:

I assume kaaya was cut to be put on practice squad, would love to poach him for miami's practice squad.

You can't poach a practice squad player to put them on your practice squad. They must go on your 53 man roster.

Just now, RedRider said:

You can't poach a practice squad player to put them on your practice squad. They must go on your 53 man roster.

ah, thanks I wasn't sure how that exactly works. For a player to go to practice squad is there a certain label that protects them?  if not wouldn't them being cut allow another team to pick them up and put them on the practice squad?   

5 minutes ago, Iced_Earth said:

ah, thanks I wasn't sure how that exactly works. For a player to go to practice squad is there a certain label that protects them?  if not wouldn't them being cut allow another team to pick them up and put them on the practice squad?   

They are free to sign anywhere they want once cut. They can then be added to the PS. He is right about them once they are on the PS but until then they are available. When they clear waivers then the team that cut them can PS them. I think.

2 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Yeah. Saw that. We opted for a different RB.

Honestly, think that was best for all involved. Given how it appears Koetter felt about him, I don't think that was ever going to work out. We are light on running backs, and I really liked McNichols as a fit for this offensive scheme with Shanny. He was one of the late round running backs I liked the most for us (was actually surprised when we opted for Williams instead). One of the reasons I took such an active interest in him during this process. Was hopeful we would nab him. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Honestly, think that was best for all involved. Given how it appears Koetter felt about him, I don't think that was ever going to work out. We are light on running backs, and I really liked McNichols as a fit for this offensive scheme with Shanny. He was one of the late round running backs I liked the most for us (was actually surprised when we opted for Williams instead). One of the reasons I took such an active interest in him during this process. Was hopeful we would nab him. 

Yeah. Koetter didn't seem very high on him once camp started. His reps seemed to lessen and lessen. And Koetter was vocally upset at his inability to learn the playbook and his struggles in pass pro. 

Hope he can figure it out with the 9ers.

Archived