Packers Training Camp 2019

packfanfb

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Strangely enough, I seem to remember losing a starting caliber safety for the privilege of watching Kizer suck. 

Not in Green Bay did you lose your starting caliber Safety. Better keep looking.

DR was never drafted to play Safety.
The position was blocked up with other contracts.
DR played himself off the team before this proposed shift became a thing to Packer fans and this didnt become a thing until CLE traded for him and it went public their intent to move him. 

Not once was it ever a matter of consideration or discussion amongst Packer beat reporters or fans to move DR to Safety. Never. 
Keep looking for that starting caliber Safety we lost. He didnt exist until after he was traded.

3 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

not sure why it's sailed.  I think it's incredibly obvious he's a better QB than those options, so why not consider it?

I don't think Kaepernick is an obvious upgrade to either Kizer or Boyle.  He was better in 2013 and 14.  But he is 3 years removed from football, 31 years old, and never was a great passer.  Is he even in shape? 

I don't think Kizer is good either.  I am very skeptical of Colin Kaepernick being roster worthy at this juncture.   

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

Not in Green Bay did you lose your starting caliber Safety. Better keep looking.

DR played himself off the team before this proposed shift became a thing to Packer fans and this didnt become a thing until CLE traded for him and it went public their intent to move him. 

Not once was it ever a matter of consideration or discussion amongst Packer beat reporters or fans to move DR to Safety. Never. 
Keep looking for that starting caliber Safety we lost. He didnt exist until after he was traded.

I don't know about that.  There were plenty of people speculating that his better position was safety.  At the time were they saying he was better than either Burnett or HaHa? I don't believe so.  When Randall was drafted he was announced as a safety. Ted or MM or the secondary coach (brainfart, the guy played for Pittsburgh) said he would play CB for us.  

I do wish we got something else, not Kizer, in return.  I still think Hundley is better.  

11 minutes ago, Leader said:

This is 100% false. Maybe prior to when you joined. But this was a discussion that began from the moment he was drafted. Most knew he would be better suited at safety... where he played his college ball.

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

You're really going to argue the bold considering the amount of personnel staff currently in Cleveland that was in Green Bay during Randall's tenure? You're going to argue that considering Randall isn't even the first CB we've seen turn into a starting caliber Safety after leaving this defense?

Randall didn't play Safety here because we needed CBs, because ours kept dying. Of course he was going to get tried at CB first, that's what happens when guys show any amount of CB ability. He played Safety/Nickel in college. It was a pretty common point of discussion on this board moving him to Safety. We just never had the guys at CB to do it. 

2 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

in his last extended look at qb, he was an average NFL starter. Starter!  In any event, when you sign Kap, you just copy the Baltimore offense with Lamar Jackson this year.  You don't try to make him be a passing first QB like the inept coaches in SF.  He's one of the best running QBs we've ever seen in the NFL, and he's a much better passer than Kizer as well.

The kizer experiment is over.  He so clearly doesn't get the position.

In his last 21 games (including 19 of them as the starting QB for the 49ers), he had a 59.1% completion percentage and an ANY/A of 5.5.  That would rank 31st in completion percentage ahead of Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, and Josh Allen.  3 rookie QBs.  His ANY/A would rank 28th ahead of Case Keenum, Blake Bortles, Ryan Tannehill, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, and Josh Allen.  Of the 3 non-rookie QBs, NONE are on the same roster that they finished their 2018 season on.  Let that sink in.  The notion that Kaepernick was any good his last two seasons with San Francisco is a farce.  He was awful.  The only reason the 49ers kept him so long was because he was able to not turn over the ball and his offense was moving the ball with his leg.  And that's making a MAJOR assumption that Kap even wants to come here AND assuming that he's willing to sign for a reasonable deal.  But there's absolutely ZERO indication that Kap would come to Green Bay to backup Aaron Rodgers where he's not getting any PT barring injury to Aaron Rodgers.  And there's the whole financial component as well.  Since 2013, the most the Packers have spent on a backup QB was $1.2M for Scott Tolzien since Aaron Rodgers was extended.  The Packers don't pay big money to backup QBs.  So how much does Kap need to sign?  $1M?  $5M?  $10M?  He's had an opportunity to play in the NFL before, but he wants it at his price tag.

Just now, skibrett15 said:

is there even any proof of this?  Or just a talking point that people want to be true

Pretty sure it got leaked that the Broncos tried to trade for him, but they wanted him to take a paycut from his $12M to $7M and Kap refused.  There was an unconfirmed rumor that he wanted $20M to play for the AAF.

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

And I thought the Hundley haters we're annoying, my goodness.

He's a backup freaking QB, and a totally serviceable one at that.

You want a Fitzpatrick or a Bridgewater in camp? That's fine, but then you don't have one of Turner or Amos and either Josh Jones or Lucas Patrick are getting starter reps in camp. You OK with that?

You've got an insanely low bar for what a serviceable back up QB is if you consider Kizer that.  He's lost every game he's ever taken a snap in but 1.  In that one game he had 2 turnovers on 2 drives in what might have been the worst QBed game in the NFL last year.  As shown throughout his career, Kizer is a game destroyer.  

Bridgewater and Fitzmagic aren't paid like serviceable back ups.  Fitz was signed this offseason to compete for a starting spot.  I think Bridgewater is paid so well because he's their heir-apparent to Brees.   RG3, Josh McCown, Ryan Tannihill, Blake Bortles, Trevor Siemian, Mike Glennon, Blain Gabbert, Joe Webb...... Those are all "Serviceable" back ups and they are all making between 1 and 2 million dollars a year (Kizer makes 1.2 million).

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't know about that.  There were plenty of people speculating that his better position was safety.  At the time were they saying he was better than either Burnett or HaHa? I don't believe so.  When Randall was drafted he was announced as a safety. Ted or MM or the secondary coach (brainfart, the guy played for Pittsburgh) said he would play CB for us.  I do wish we got something else, not Kizer, in return.  I still think Hundley is better.  

He wasnt drafted to play Safety for us. He never took snaps at Saftey for us. He was considered by most to be our #1 CB.
Be it drafting error by TT. Coaching error by MM - or the position of the sun, stars and the moon - the above comments are correct.

Regardless - the entire "wash, rinse and repeat" DR cycle is the inevitable left hand to the right hand/left hand combo that is ANY Kizer discussion. It just is - cause it "extends" the irrelevant factors which makes it irresistible banter on social media.

They're entirely separate matters in my view.

I considered DR as what he was at Green Bay - a CB - and I personally found him wanting. I was never as "wowed" by his coverage skills as others and his softness was offputting to me - but it was his demeanor, attitude and on the field antics that got him removed from the team. Not as a chip to get Kizer who I'm considering and evaluating completely separate from the DR history. 

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

yes, because he's a better player than Kizer.

Brett Hundley in his 2ND year with Mike McCarthy in the league had a 0.02 higher ANY/A than DeShone Kizer did in a rookie year with Hue Jackson.  Get out of here.

Archived