Packers Training Camp 2019

packfanfb

14 minutes ago, 15412 said:

Pretty much agree with all of that post Chili.  Well done sir.  I don't think there ever was a question of Taylor making the 53 unless he was traded though.  The question is does he or Jenkins start.  I would place my money to start the season with Taylor.  Oh, and I hope we carry 2 QB's.  Especially since as it sits right now we only have one.

I didn't think we would but we may now carry 7 WR's on the 53 until we can place EQ on IR.  Even a high ankle sprain could dictate that move. 

I think we will just IR EQ right now and roll into the season with 7 WRs - Adams, MVS, Geronimo, Kumerow, Lazard, Davis and Shepherd. I don't think EQ is important enough to keep him on the 53 and use one of our two IR-Recall designation slots. What is he going to do that Geronimo, Kumerow and Lazard cannot do?

Those slots are reserved for important starters like Rodgers, Adams, Clark.  Its an absolute waste of a slot to use it on one who is essentially a backup.

You could be right, but EQ also is a very good ST player.  I think it comes down to the severity of the injury in this case.  I also do not think Moore is on this team at cut time.  But others will certainly argue that point.  I'm just not sure that Lazard or Shepherd make it to our PS without being claimed.  That will have a lot to do with the decision.  They may both make it, they may both not.  The team knows, I'm talking about me.  Interesting cuts coming indeed, and maybe a nice addition or two.

23 minutes ago, Chili said:

I think we will just IR EQ right now and roll into the season with 7 WRs - Adams, MVS, Geronimo, Kumerow, Lazard, Davis and Shepherd. I don't think EQ is important enough to keep him on the 53 and use one of our two IR-Recall designation slots. What is he going to do that Geronimo, Kumerow and Lazard cannot do?

Those slots are reserved for important starters like Rodgers, Adams, Clark.  Its an absolute waste of a slot to use it on one who is essentially a backup.

You don't have to declare anyone immediately, you can activate someone at any time. We activated Kumerow and the Run The Table year we activated freaking Makinton Dorleant or some guy with a similar name lol.

It's not some sacred thing you have to immediately declare when you IR a guy.

4 minutes ago, 15412 said:

You could be right, but EQ also is a very good ST player.  I think it comes down to the severity of the injury in this case.  I also do not think Moore is on this team at cut time.  But others will certainly argue that point.  I'm just not sure that Lazard or Shepherd make it to our PS without being claimed.  That will have a lot to do with the decision.  They may both make it, they may both not.  The team knows, I'm talking about me.  Interesting cuts coming indeed, and maybe a nice addition or two.

Literally every team has a Lazard/Shepherd. Oakland has Doss and Pierson El for example. If we want to move them to PS theres a high probability they make it.. if Lazard has any eligibility left. EQ probably isnt getting put on IR only expected 4-6 weeks and he sure as **** isn't getting cut.

1 hour ago, Chili said:

My observations:

• Interesting to see Tony Brown start and Tramon Williams rested. I would've thought he jumped ahead of him on the depth chart.
  • Marcedes Lewis has barely played any preseason snaps. Either he is a lock to make the final 53 or he's just a training camp body. He barely did anything last year so I would've thought the coaches would try to make him prove himself to show he still has what it takes. Unlike Rodgers he's not THAT important to our team to require being held out of preseason games.
  • By making Taylor inactive this all but confirmed that he is a lock to make the roster.
  • The only reason Carson is getting so many snaps is because he is assignment sure. I don't think he will make the roster but i do concede he could be the one surprise candidate that makes it.
  • Doesn't appear Malik Taylor got a single snap. Safe to say he isn't making the roster along with Bohanon, Redding and McKever. Sagapolu too.
  • Pankey's high snap count was due to his versatility. Started at tackle and I suspect when Nijman and de Beer entered the game he was rotated in at guard. He has shown he is the most versatile and that might secure him the 8th or 9th OL spot.
  • I think Gute should've attempted to fill the 90th roster spot earlier in the week, possibly a body at linebacker so that either Gary or Bolton wouldn't have had to play.
  • On defence the players who are likely to land on the final 53 were taken out hence the lower snap numbers namely Lancaster, Adams, Redmond, Greene, Brown, Jackson. It's interesting to see Sheldon have a low number of snaps....does that mean he is ahead of Summers? 77 snaps is a large amount and i'm surprised he wasn't rotated out more.
  • I was in the Kizer camp but now I have to concede that I think Boyle has secured the backup QB job. However I still think we will keep both.
  • Shepherd, Davis, Kumerow, Lazard, they all showed up. Moore is done. I don't think the final preseason game will save him now.

Tramon Williams rested because he's a veteran.  Those preseason snaps have less value to him than they do guys like Tony Brown or Chandon Sulivan.  He's making the 53 man roster.

Given that we don't currently have any in-line TEs aside from Marcedes Lewis on the roster, I think it's fairly safe he's making the 53 man roster.  They don't need to give him snaps.  They know what they have in him, so giving him snaps really isn't overly valuable.  It's more important to see if we're potentially carrying a 5th TE or a 6th WR.

Lane Taylor was more of a darkhorse cut candidate, but that's only if the guys behind him and Elgton Jenkins actually showed strong.  It's been a mixed bag, so the Packers probably aren't going to handcuff themselves.

As for Sheldon, no the lower snaps don't mean a damn thing.  They want an extended look at Ty Summers.  He's probably safely ahead of Sheldon on the pecking order.  That's potentially a PS candidate there.

Neither Kizer or Boyle have secured the backup QB gig.  Neither has been consistently good.

1 hour ago, Chili said:

Are we going to operate under the assumption that everyone is going to stay healthy?  Randall Cobb was limited to just 9 games last year and Geronimo Allison was limited to 5 games.  Imagine, if we had IRed MVS prior to the season?  In the last 3 seasons, the Packers have used the IR designation on Makinton Dorleant (2016), Jason Spriggs (2017), Trevor Davis (2018) and Jake Kumerow (2018).  None of those guys are even close the caliber of Aaron Rodgers, Davante Adams, Kenny Clark, etc.  In fact, they were probably closer to ESB than those 3.

14 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

That % or running plays wont be happening in the regular season. For one - we dont have the horses to carry that load. For two - ARs our QB. Thats nothing but preseason mumbo jumbo signifying nothing.

Edited by Leader

35 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

In case anybody else was unfamiliar with with terminology like I was: the first digit is the # of RBs, the second is TEs. Since you have 5 eligible receivers, the remainder are WRs. So in the 12 personnel, there's 1 RB (1st digit), 2 TE (2nd digit), and 2 WR (5-1-2). 

Source (interesting read about what teams run them too): https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/06/nfl-personnel-groupings-11-personnel-12-personnel-21-personnel

22 minutes ago, Leader said:

Rob Demovsky: The Packers released RB Darrin Hall, who had been claimed off waivers from the Bengals on July 27. GM Brian Gutekunst has been working the phones looking for another back in the trade market, according to league sources.

Heavy boo. Release Tra already 

36 minutes ago, Leader said:

Rob Demovsky: The Packers released RB Darrin Hall, who had been claimed off waivers from the Bengals on July 27. GM Brian Gutekunst has been working the phones looking for another back in the trade market, according to league sources.

Andy Herman:

Some names to watch:

TJ Yeldon
Rex Burkhead
Brandon Bolden
Bilal Powell
Trenton Cannon
Elijah McGuire
Gus Edwards
Kenneth Dixon
Corey Clement
Wendall Smallwood