Packers Training Camp 2019

packfanfb

4 hours ago, SSG said:

I don't generally buy into the annual TC hype that suggests that damn near every single player rostered is a future all pro.  He's been a Khyri Thorton caliber of player thus far.  

LMAO!

That's awesome... The biggest Packer troll on the net just gave Adams the kiss of greatness! Just like she did to the other Adams ("huge bust") and Bakhtiari ("the worst OT in the NFL").

4 hours ago, SSG said:

I don't generally buy into the annual TC hype that suggests that damn near every single player rostered is a future all pro.  He's been a Khyri Thorton caliber of player thus far.  

Lol, we better fire Gute and/or Pettine on the spot then if we're penciling in a practice squad caliber player as our starting DE.

Realistically I could see Adams being anywhere from around 20-50 by the end of the year.

45 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I'm aware but Spriggs would not garner one of the top 50 or more contracts and thinking we'd get a comp pick for him is fools gold. 

Especially when you consider that getting a comp pick for Spriggs means that Gute does not sign a Spriggs level player in the FA market next season. 

6 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I thought I read on here that you don't cut highly drafted guys on rookie deals...and that Spriggs could start as a low end tackle.

Guess it boils down to performance with this coaching staff and front office, which is fine by me.

The only time I thought Spriggs looked good in a game was when he played guard as a rookie and had a week to prepare for it.  Every other time, be it guard or tackle, he was a liability out there.  Maybe the light turns on for him.  Obviously it won't be here.

Too bad, that's a waste of a nice pick.  Thinking Whitehair went right after him, if memory serves.

This isn't identical to an outright release...

4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Someone remind me, will we get the $1.1 million in cap relief by designating Spriggs as waived/injured?

Not if he isn't claimed, no. At least that's my understanding. He'll go to IR and it'll work from there with him staying and getting paid or a settlement.

3 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

That was a really helpful article. I know I’ve read the opinion on this board that Spriggs is good enough to start for other teams. I’d say this is a chance to prove that idea true or not but for the fact that we don’t know—and other teams may not know— the seriousness of Spriggs’ injury.

As with Daniels, this move probably says more about  how the team feels about some of the other linemen than it does about Spriggs.

7 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I thought I read on here that you don't cut highly drafted guys on rookie deals...and that Spriggs could start as a low end tackle.

I stand by that comment.  Are there multiple OL (aside from the starters) who are clearly better than Spriggs?  No.  Do we save a significant amount of money by releasing him?  No.  So what's the motivation to release him?

5 hours ago, Golfman said:

What? Comp pick? How much do you think a team is going to give him in free agency. Only 32 of those picks are given out and he's not going to get one of the top 32 free agent contracts. 

That's not how comp picks work.  You have to lose more FAs than you sign.

5 hours ago, Golfman said:

I'm aware but Spriggs would not garner one of the top 50 or more contracts and thinking we'd get a comp pick for him is fools gold. 

Ereck Flowers signed a 1 year, $3.25M deal.  Spriggs is better than Flowers.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I stand by that comment.  Are there multiple OL (aside from the starters) who are clearly better than Spriggs?  No.  Do we save a significant amount of money by releasing him?  No.  So what's the motivation to release him?

I think what we're seeing from Gute is the willingness to just cut bait on dead men walking. If you're on the last year of your deal, you better prove your worth or Gute is gonna try to trade you or move on entirely. I kinda like it.

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

I think what we're seeing from Gute is the willingness to just cut bait on dead men walking. If you're on the last year of your deal, you better prove your worth or Gute is gonna try to trade you or move on entirely. I kinda like it.

Unless you think Spriggs is completely useless this year (I don't) and that Alex Light is a better backup OT (I don't), Spriggs wasn't a dead man walking. Even if we weren't going to re-sign him for 2020 and beyond he was still useful this season.

1 hour ago, Packer_ESP said:

Unless you think Spriggs is completely useless this year (I don't) and that Alex Light is a better backup OT (I don't), Spriggs wasn't a dead man walking. Even if we weren't going to re-sign him for 2020 and beyond he was still useful this season.

Gute’s Kid: Daad?

Gute: What?

Gute’s Kid: Where’s the dog? I can’t find Duke.

Gute: I figured with three years left realistically on Duke’s longevity, and given the associated carrying costs, we should be able to maintain the positive benefits of pet ownership at a lower cap number going forward so we went in another direction. 

Gute’s Kid: Well that explains the hamster in my room. 

Archived