Bitcoin

BayRaider

54 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

You can on coinbase, yes. No reason I can see it wouldn't count against min spending. The fee is not insignificant though and there may be a daily limit on how much you can buy with a card too.

There is a monthly limit on credit card transactions, and they won't let you increase the limit until you've made a certain $ amount total in purchases that is higher than the initial monthly limit. 

55 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

You can on coinbase, yes. No reason I can see it wouldn't count against min spending. The fee is not insignificant though and there may be a daily limit on how much you can buy with a card too.

How bad is the fee?

With some of those cards you could see $1k back on like $5-10k minimum spend over 3 months. If you buy Bitcoin on Day 80 of the 90 (just to be safe), even if the fees are brutal, bitcoin would have to really take a nosedive for you to come out behind.

12 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

which alts would you recommend? 

Ripple has a lot coins, but it also has a lot more practical applications. If the major banks get on board with it and start transferring large amounts of money, 100B is not a lot at all. 

Yes but what I am saying is people expecting a 100x run up from Ripple just because it's under a $1 don't get how marketcaps and crypto works. 100x would put Ripple at a 1T Marketcap. Just 10x needs a 100B Marketcap from Ripple. Possible but hard and will take time. Not sure if people understand Ripple can't be anywhere close to Bitcoin or Etherums Price. It's total max is probably $5-6 but I can't quite see it going that far.

Edited by BayRaider

51 minutes ago, scar988 said:

I wish I would have bought $100 worth of bitcoin back in 2011. I'd have millions right now and would just be sitting at home doing nothing every day.

Getting fat and and totally uninspired? Everyone needs goals, even if you're the richest man on the planet.

I'd do some crazy startups and also try to help the environment.

59 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

How bad is the fee?

With some of those cards you could see $1k back on like $5-10k minimum spend over 3 months. If you buy Bitcoin on Day 80 of the 90 (just to be safe), even if the fees are brutal, bitcoin would have to really take a nosedive for you to come out behind.

Off the top of my head I'd say 1.5-2.5% but it's been awhile since I bought anything on coinbase.

Why don't you just buy $5k worth of grocery store prepaid cards ;) or do they put a cabosh on that?

20 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Getting fat and and totally uninspired? Everyone needs goals, even if you're the richest man on the planet.

I'd do some crazy startups and also try to help the environment.

I'd probably end up running a dog rescue of some sort.

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Off the top of my head I'd say 1.5-2.5% but it's been awhile since I bought anything on coinbase.

Why don't you just buy $5k worth of grocery store prepaid cards ;) or do they put a cabosh on that?

They have started too. There are a double other ways you can do manufactured spending like that. The downside is that the fees for gift cards aren't a whole lot better if you use them to pay off a credit card or something like that, and if you get them for a grocery store you're shorting yourself $5k until you actually use them, plus you have the risk of having to move for work or something like that.

Being able to buy bitcoin and sell it back right away would be really clean and allow for basically unlimited manufactured spending. And you could either keep the cash by selling out completely or just get free bitcoin courtesy of your CC company.

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

They have started too. There are a double other ways you can do manufactured spending like that. The downside is that the fees for gift cards aren't a whole lot better if you use them to pay off a credit card or something like that, and if you get them for a grocery store you're shorting yourself $5k until you actually use them, plus you have the risk of having to move for work or something like that.

Being able to buy bitcoin and sell it back right away would be really clean and allow for basically unlimited manufactured spending. And you could either keep the cash by selling out completely or just get free bitcoin courtesy of your CC company.

And if you sell at a loss you can do some tax loss harvesting! ;)

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I like this idea though...any good card sign up offers out there right now?

The churning subreddit has a ton of resources out there. Here's a flowchart.

http://75.127.15.73/Card Recommendation Flowchart v6.html

And yeah I'm obviously skeptical of bitcoin and the technology but if I'm getting it for free, that's a different story.

Nicehash got breached, over 60 million dollars in bitcoins stolen apparently.  Kinda angry that my machine has been mining for no reason, I'm probably SOL on that, though I only mined about 20 bucks worth over the past week, so I'm not too mad about that, just wish I didn't put so much mileage on my GPU for nothing.

Edited by TankWilliams

3 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Nicehash got breached, over 60 million dollars in bitcoins stolen apparently.  Kinda angry that my machine has been mining for no reason, I'm probably SOL on that, though I only mined about 20 bucks worth over the past week, so I'm not too mad about that, just wish I didn't put so much mileage on my GPU for nothing.

Same. I had about $15. 

Definitely probably SOL

They conveniently get hacked around Tax season O.o:D 

33 minutes ago, Knowledge said:

Man its out of control. 14.3k. Doesnt make sense. At this rate it might hit 20k by end of the year

Any chance that some big dogs are driving up the price before the futures contracts so they can hedge against? 

We might get 15K by tonight...this insane.