Bitcoin

BayRaider

1 minute ago, Mossburg said:

I didn't get into it for investing either (though I later bought some more in a more investment move), I just wanted to use it to pay for things online and not give out my info due to not trusting anyone with all these breaches. But it leads you down a rabbit hole and you learn a ton even if you weren't interested in those things before.

The info thing has me a little paranoid, actually. Like Coinbase wants the last 4 digits of my social, apparently all the exchanges use a verification system that requires your computer webcam to take a picture of your ID/passport? Eff that noise.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The info thing has me a little paranoid, actually. Like Coinbase wants the last 4 digits of my social, apparently all the exchanges use a verification system that requires your computer webcam to take a picture of your ID/passport? Eff that noise.

They're a heavily regulated because of money laundering potential and stuff. If you gave it to your bank or brokerage I don't see why you'd not give it to another financial institution.

2 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

They're a heavily regulated because of money laundering potential and stuff. If you gave it to your bank or brokerage I don't see why you'd not give it to another financial institution.

It bothers me when I have to give it to banks and investment accounts too. 

EDIT: And I absolutely get why they want it. I'm just whining.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

It bothers me when I have to give it to banks and investment accounts too. 

Well you got no choice there, unless you want to go and find people in your area who will sell to you in person. Places that want your info to sell and not verify your identity because of federal regulations, those are the ones you give nothing (and aren't legally obligated to).

Edited by Mossburg

Just now, Mossburg said:

Well you got no choice there. Places that want your info to sell and not verify your identity because of federal regulations, those are the ones you give nothing (and aren't legally obligated to).

See my edit. I'm just being a baby about it. If I wasn't doing a little churning as a hobby (and if this works, I'll probably churn a fair bit more), I'd probably just have my credit frozen unless I need to get a mortgage. The equifax breach still bothers the crap out of me.

See my edit. I'm just being a baby about it. If I wasn't doing a little churning as a hobby (and if this works, I'll probably churn a fair bit more), I'd probably just have my credit frozen unless I need to get a mortgage. The equifax breach still bothers the crap out of me.

Preaching to the choir. I basically don't give out my real info to anyone anymore, unless I have to legally for identity verification.

4 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

To anyone just throwing money at any small coin that you come across.. just be prepared to lose that money. Bitcoin and Ethereum are the two which seem like the safest of bets right now.. Remember that close to 99% of all cryptos fail

I think your wording should be 99% of cryptos are pointless. However, tons of these guys net a x10, x20, x100 profit quite often. 

2 hours ago, packerrfan74 said:

To anyone just throwing money at any small coin that you come across.. just be prepared to lose that money. Bitcoin and Ethereum are the two which seem like the safest of bets right now.. Remember that close to 99% of all cryptos fail

The only crypto I own is ETH which I started buying awhile back as well. I feel it has the most staying power and usefulness so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

about 6 weeks ago I bought $250 of bitcoin, and transferred ~$200 of that to ripple. Now the remaining ~$50 I had leftover in bitcoin is worth more than the ripple. xD

Yea, I bought $500 of BTC, and $300 of Ripple a couple months back, and was thinking about selling some of my BTC to buy more Ripple, but from what I've read on here and other places, Ripple doesn't really have the potential to explode like some other cryptos do, so now I'm thinking either ETH or Litecoin for my next purchase.

Edited by Pats#1