2020 Draft Thread

Forge

3 hours ago, Forge said:

I will not let u guys sucker me into thinking Lamb will be one side with Deebo on the other...with Kittle up the seam. Nope won't do it. Made it this far not having any draft day dreams. They can't get crushed if u don't have them...lol

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sherm said:

I will not let u guys sucker me into thinking Lamb will be one side with Deebo on the other...with Kittle up the seam. Nope won't do it. Made it this far not having any draft day dreams. They can't get crushed if u don't have them...lol

Oh, I hear you! Lamb has been my draft crush from the beginning, but I "knew" we had no chance @ 31. And then the Buckner trade happened...and my hopes began to surface. Still can't quite squash them! They just keep growing. Sigh. I am trying to stifle this so I am not disappointed on Draft Day. :$

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

What are your guys IDL plans if a WR is selected at 13 and IOL or CB at 31? DL ia the identity of your team. 

Rolling with what we have. Lots of mixing and matching inside and out, lots of Solomon Thomas.

Actually feel like that may be the most likely outcome

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Rolling with what we have. Lots of mixing and matching inside and out, lots of Solomon Thomas. 

Actually feel like that is the most likely outcome

I love Ross Blacklock for you guys. Not gonna be there at 31 though, and 13 would be a reach. I don’t like Kinlaw as a fit and he’s raw. Blacklock is a pure 3T and fits right in imo. 

If you guys can trade down 13 to like 21 (Eagles might want Lamb badly) and get a 3rd this year and 3rd next year you’d be golden. 

21. Ross Blacklock

31. Denzel Mims or Brandon Aiyuk. Personally I feel Aiyuk is a better fit for you guys. 

3rd: Guard

Edited by BayRaider

5 hours ago, Forge said:

Actually feel like that may be the most likely outcome

I hope not. That would be a major set back. 

7 hours ago, BayRaider said:

What are your guys IDL plans if a WR is selected at 13 and IOL or CB at 31? DL ia the identity of your team. 

The DL is still very deep without Buckner. Can play Blair more at end and move Armstead inside in base sets. Can use Thomas some at DE while moving Armstead inside. And then on nickel downs have Armstead/Thomas rushing from the inside with Bosa/Ford as the DEs. There are always surprises within the roster that make big leaps and I wouldn't be surprised if Givens ends up being a big contributor. 

If we can get someone like Elliot in the 2nd round or any good IDL in the middle rounds, that would be fine. But IDL is definitely not a big need for me. This DL is super deep and what kind of hurt the team late in the season was all the depth that was lost with the injuries. Played a large part of the 2nd half of the season without Ford, Blair, Taylor and Jones. So if there is better health luck, the DL should still be very dominant. 

5 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I love Ross Blacklock for you guys. Not gonna be there at 31 though, and 13 would be a reach. I don’t like Kinlaw as a fit and he’s raw. Blacklock is a pure 3T and fits right in imo. 

If you guys can trade down 13 to like 21 (Eagles might want Lamb badly) and get a 3rd this year and 3rd next year you’d be golden. 

21. Ross Blacklock

31. Denzel Mims or Brandon Aiyuk. Personally I feel Aiyuk is a better fit for you guys. 

3rd: Guard

Alot of people on this board want Lamb badly as well. I think the fact that we didn’t really make a push to bring back Sanders is telling towards what we may be planning on doing during the draft. If Lamb is there and we trade out I will be a little disheartened. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forge said:

The offense will need to be better (which sounds absolutely crazy given it's successful efficiency last year) 

I think if the DL stay relatively healthy, ESPECIALLY the ends, there shouldn't be much of a drop off. Buckner is the better player, but I'd argue Ford makes a bigger impact. We had Bosa/Armstead/Buckner, and the pass rush was nowhere the same without Ford. Buckner brings the play to play consistency that will be missed, but if Blair/Ford/Bosa stay healthy, then the pass rush isn't going to have much, if any of a drop off. The scary part is though, Bosa WAS healthy all last season. If he misses some time then the defense takes a huge step back and with his history, that is certainly possible. Our interior rush on nickel downs with a combination of Armstead/Thomas/Jones should still get the job done. The health of the safeties will also be crucial. Those two just aren't out of position often and are very disciplined. I know a bunch of teams don't value safety play all that much, but in this scheme? You are utterly screwed without having good and disciplined play in the back end. 

It was always going to be hard to duplicate the defensive performance last season even with Buckner returning, but I'm still expecting a top 5 unit. The offense was around top 5 after the addition of Sanders, and it has to stay around that mark for this team to once again be a top SB candidate. 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think if the DL stay relatively healthy, ESPECIALLY the ends, there shouldn't be much of a drop off. Buckner is the better player, but I'd argue Ford makes a bigger impact. We had Bosa/Armstead/Buckner, and the pass rush was nowhere the same without Ford. Buckner brings the play to play consistency that will be missed, but if Blair/Ford/Bosa stay healthy, then the pass rush isn't going to have much, if any of a drop off. The scary part is though, Bosa WAS healthy all last season. If he misses some time then the defense takes a huge step back and with his history, that is certainly possible. Our interior rush on nickel downs with a combination of Armstead/Thomas/Jones should still get the job done. The health of the safeties will also be crucial. Those two just aren't out of position often and are very disciplined. I know a bunch of teams don't value safety play all that much, but in this scheme? You are utterly screwed without having good and disciplined play in the back end. 

It was always going to be hard to duplicate the defensive performance last season even with Buckner returning, but I'm still expecting a top 5 unit. The offense was around top 5 after the addition of Sanders, and it has to stay around that mark for this team to once again be a top SB candidate. 

There's going to be some drop off from last year, defensively. Even if DeFo was still here, I was expecting some regression. I think we'll still be a Top 10 unit, which is still very good. What I care about more, statistically speaking is being one of the best on 3rd downs, creating turnovers, and in the redzone. Dont care too much about what any of our defensive  numbers look like elsewhere. If we excel in those three areas, we'll he poised for another deep playoff run.

2 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Day 3 for a WR would be very disappointing and can't see that happening.

Maiocco mentioned taking one of the top tackles of Henderson at #13? Definitely can see that happening.

Trading one or multiple veterans for draft picks? Yes, that seems logical.

Ending the draft with less than seven players drafted? Like it, now that is bold. And something I've been harping on that the team doesn't need to just trade down without waiting to see how the board falls. Limited roster spots as this is a stacked team. So if you can get day one contributors? That would be awesome. Of course, have to look ahead for needs after next season and I believe the FO will do just that.