Texans @ Green Bay "Dont Get Hurt Bowl"

Leader

1 hour ago, deathstar said:

Yeah, not sure why Houston put Webb in the position of having to play all four quarters. Say what you will about GB’s power structure, at least we’re not them.

McCarron has a thumb injury on his throwing hand. 

Webb played some WR for Carolina and was used as a gadget player. If he had any sort of decent OL or receivers at the time in Minny, he may still be their QB. He put up huge numbers at UAB FWIW and the fact that he's able to extend plays, as you saw last night, has kept him in the league for the mostpart.

I"m not seeing how Moore makes this roster.

He's fighting himself on every play, you can almost see him thinking too much.

Even on the sideline he appears very hard on himself.  Like he isn't enjoying it and that it is very frustrating to him.

Kumerow is just simply a much, much better player right now.  Doesn't have the athletic upside, but he's clearly multiple tiers better as a WR than Moore is right now.

Moore has got to get his head out of the way of his ability.

11 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Moore looks like Jeff janis to me.  Plus physical traits, but questionable hands/ poor technique catching the ball.

Oh no... Janis is faster and could catch... Moore is a much looser athlete and has a knack for getting separation.

Very different skill sets.

Edited by Donzo
error
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Joe said:

McCarron has a thumb injury on his throwing hand. 

Webb played some WR for Carolina and was used as a gadget player. If he had any sort of decent OL or receivers at the time in Minny, he may still be their QB. He put up huge numbers at UAB FWIW and the fact that he's able to extend plays, as you saw last night, has kept him in the league for the mostpart.

Webb’s solid, perfect for getting you out of a game. But if Kizer went down we’d still split up the game because we’ve planned ahead.

10 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I"m not seeing how Moore makes this roster.

He's fighting himself on every play, you can almost see him thinking too much.

On the first sentence. It's not an apt evaluation.. He's having a good camp, he's much improved... If you're really bent about the drops from the young WR, then you must have had a lot issues with Jordy & James; especially in the Super Bowl... Don't even want to mention Adams' 2nd season. You must have wanted to ban him from the NFL.

For the second sentence... Well, no, no he's not.

Edited by Donzo
error

Again , don’t know what a lot of you were watching.

If Gary is getting doubled this year ( he was last night ) than WOW are we gonna be dangerous .

and then you see the athleticism and gets right by his guy but the QB throws it instantly where nobody could get to them. Still a good rep by him . 

Really guys, watch the game. Not every good rep is going to lead to a sack.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I caught a couple plays of the first half and most of the second half.

Thought I saw a wide run where Gary disengaged and made a great form tackle, head across the body, while in space.  Stopped the guy dead in his tracks.  Looked effortless from him, too.  It was very noticeable to me because it's the type of play where usually the head doesn't get around to the ball and the ball carrier struggles, then breaks the tackle for an extra 3 yards to the outside.  Thought I saw #52 as the tackler.

Saw him rush a couple of times from the stand up position.  Wouldn't say he was overly quick off the snap, but he was fine there.  I thought he showed power and speed during the rush.  No real hands win and not counter.  Just a push and move, but I did think he got some decent leverage under the pads.

Overall, I was happy with what I saw from him.

The most interesting thing to me, though, was his body.  He looked visibly leaner than his college tape.  More defined, too.  Dude looks legit on the edge.  Almost scary.

I would agree with most of this. When Gary and Fack were in early the ball was out fast or Webb was on the run Gary was able to push the pocket and was also doing real well in contain on his side. He didn't seem to be rushing the QB with reckeless abandon and was likely thinking through his roles and responsibilities also. My only gripe with him and any of our other top rooks was their playing time. I would have liked to have seen him get more reps along with Savage also.

29 minutes ago, Donzo said:

On the first sentence. It's not an apt evaluation.. He's having a good camp, he's much improved... If you're really bent about the drops from the young WR, then you must have had a lot issues with Jordy & James; especially in the Super Bowl... Don't even want to mention Adams' 2nd season. You must have wanted to ban him from the NFL.

For the second sentence... Well, no, no he's not.

Jesus, relax.  Moore your cousin?

We saw different games last night.  And I'm talking about the game last night, not practices.  And I"m not talking about drops.  Never mentioned that, but you went there very quickly.

I don't see a player having fun and playing free, loose and with confidence.  I see a player who is playing tight.  Everything about him looks strained and not effortless.

I mean last night, I think that Shepard and Lazard looked better than Moore.  

I once thought that Moore would make it over Kumerow.  I"m not sure that is true now.  It Moore makes it over him, it will be based on potential, not current level of play.

And...I'll take your internet wager or signature bet that Moore becomes a 1200 yard receiver by his fourth year in the NFL.  Because, he's Adams and Nelson.  In fact, Adams had a sub 900 yard season in year #4.  I"ll move the wager to that.  Moore in year 4 at 900 yards.  Forget Nelson you were just talking silly.  Forget 4'th round pick versus second round picks.  Let's do this.  I'm pumped!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

I don't see a player having fun and playing free, loose and with confidence.  I see a player who is playing tight.  Everything about him looks strained and not effortless.

I mean look at this "celebration". Most frustrated spike I've ever seen.

• Like 2

Was that play, or one before when he went to the sidelines, others around were laughing and celebrating and he kept his helmet on and looked to be talking to himself...and not in a good way.

It was just an odd look.

Especially for a kid who just rocked out a sick out move and was open more than any receiver should on a play like that.  I thought he, and the QB, showed a lot in that they ran that out with some comback in it.  Great route, great throw.

I"m thinking that Donzo needs to take him out on the town, get him all licquored up so he can be loose for a couple of days!

He had a drop on that same drive. The guy is just frustrated as I'm sure he expects better of himself. He knows his job is on the line. 

I don't mind that swag at all in the preseason. Securing your job > being a good teammate 

Hope he can shake out the drops because the dude gets open, thats for sure

4 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Well my goal was to watch Gary and I watched Gary.... I have to say if he ever gets a chance to come off the line free they will have to peel that QB off the ground. His speed is for real but he is too easily engaged with the tackles. There was no violence to his game yesterday nor did I see a single move to get free. He needs to use his hands and his strength more effectively. Its only the first preseason game of his first year so I expect him to get better but I wasn't encouraged by his first snaps. 

I'm confident we'll see a lot more effectiveness from Gary in the first year or so when he's paired with other solid players on the field (i.e. the Smiths). Make Gary the No. 2-3 option, not the No. 1. 

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I'm confident we'll see a lot more effectiveness from Gary in the first year or so when he's paired with other solid players on the field (i.e. the Smiths). Make Gary the No. 2-3 option, not the No. 1. 

I hope so and don't take my post for doom and gloom. I was hoping for more but its the first preseason game there is a lot of growth that could happen.