2019 WR Corps

incognito_man

If you had to pick one  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you pick?

35 minutes ago, Leader said:

Davis was far more productive than Janis ever was.

You are underselling Janis.  If anything, it's a wash.  Statistically Janis was the better kick returner.  He's got multiple returns that were almost twice as long as Trevor Davis' longest career kick return (34 yards).  Trevor Davis is obviously the better punt returner because Janis never returned a punt.  As a gunner, Jeff Janis was substantially more effective.  

Davis is a pretty good punt returner but he's pretty easily replaced in every other aspect of his game IMO.

47 minutes ago, SSG said:

You are underselling Janis.  If anything, it's a wash.  Statistically Janis was the better kick returner.  He's got multiple returns that were almost twice as long as Trevor Davis' longest career kick return (34 yards).  Trevor Davis is obviously the better punt returner because Janis never returned a punt.  As a gunner, Jeff Janis was substantially more effective.  

Davis is a pretty good punt returner but he's pretty easily replaced in every other aspect of his game IMO.

Okay. Fine. I've provided what I believe to be a fair assessment of Davis and have no interest or need for an extended diatribe. He's a talented guy who's on the bubble. Done.

17 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

I'm nearing retirement and am totally intrigued by the bolded.  Would really put an exclamation point to my career.

Well, here's your challenge: I work as a director/coordinator at a branch of a large company with 15 people directly below me. Each week, my ensemble performs a different task in which we need multiple staff meetings to coordinate and align properly. These tasks are usually on a grand rotation that occurs over the course of a year so when we switch from one task to another, we need a bit of a refresher just so we can be efficient. My predecessor was a massive Richard who didn't have things like "thank you" and "good job" and "I think we could do this a bit better, let's try this" or "that's a good start" in his vocabulary and then put on a bunch of chintzy restrictions and requirements that royally PO'ed everyone involved. Rumor has it the company promised him a bunch of things(in particular a newer piece of equipment we need) in which they never followed through on or at least followed through on this person's particular timeline, which was unrealistic to begin. So in his frustration, he gave up on the situation, got recruited to another location within the company by someone higher up the food chain, and then filed his 60 days with us but failed to find coverage until due time. He sabotaged the piece of equipment we need replaced and nearly destroyed the relationship we had with the maintenance team for it. So I had to come in on my white horse and clean up the mess. Problem is that the person who on-boarded me on just left and the interim at their level and I are now trying to put out the fires that person lit given that there's been bad blood between our branch and the regional offices for quite sometime and this person somehow made things worse. It's a Schidtshow right now. I'm thinking about finding a different location in the company in which to conduct my business.

13 hours ago, Golfman said:

So was Jeff Janis! Time to move on from Davis IMO. 

Hot take: Janis > Davis

Edited by Joe

My favorite things about these threads is that if all goes to plan none of these guys will see the field regularly anyway.  No one is taking snaps away from the Adams/Allison/MVS trio, so this is just endless fighting about who our reserves will be when someone needs a breather or gets injured.  Whether Kumerow, Davis, Janis, Antonio Freeman or the reincarnated corpse of Don Hutson, it's a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.

7 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

My favorite things about these threads is that if all goes to plan none of these guys will see the field regularly anyway.  No one is taking snaps away from the Adams/Allison/MVS trio, so this is just endless fighting about who our reserves will be when someone needs a breather or gets injured.  Whether Kumerow, Davis, Janis, Antonio Freeman or the reincarnated corpse of Don Hutson, it's a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.

The minutiae is why we're all here though.

3 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

The minutiae is why we're all here though.

Oh 100%.  I just love how serious it gets, like who our WR6 is will somehow make or break the season.  I mean I posted in this thread plenty, I'm here to be an infuriating internet pedant same as the rest.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 11:12 AM, CWood21 said:

As for Shephard, his way on the 53 man roster is via ST and I fear he's competing with Trevor Davis for the same roster spot.  The kicker might be the fact that Trevor Davis only has 1 more year of team control where as Shephard has 4 years.

I'd hate to replace Davis with yet another slow WR... I think that will be a factor with Gute and MLF.

On 8/20/2019 at 8:57 PM, Shanedorf said:

IF you keep Davis, you might consider the injury history a significant risk in terms of KR/PR duties.
So then maybe you hedge your bets and keep Shepard too as insurance, he can return kicks.
But if yer gonna do that, then is Davis worth a spot ? On the other hand, Shepard has never returned kicks in a real NFL game, that's a big bet to make.

I just posted about replacing Davis with a slow guy, so I wont get into that. But, I'm wondering,  when did Davis become Nick Perry?

He was available in 2016 and 2017. He had a season long hammy issue in 2018 and got a stinger in camp. Until a year ago, he was fine.

On 8/20/2019 at 9:33 PM, Greg C. said:

I think it's possible that J'Mon Moore is just very bad at catching footballs. It's not a matter of nerves, or concentration, or whatever. The guy just has bad hands, plain and simple.

Excellent question. I always think of Ted Ginn Jr. and the infamous Cory Rodgers when it comes to players that just can’t/couldn’t catch.

Ginn would have rewritten the record books if he could catch. Still having a nice career. Rodgers was a good prospect; he had a nice career at TCU as a WR/returner. I believe he was 4th rounder like Moore, and Rodgers never made out of camp because he just couldn’t catch the ball anymore; it was bizarre! I think he quickly exited the NFL and had a little career in the CFL.

Myself, unlike you, I wouldn't put Moore in the same category as Ginn and Rodgers with plain and simple bad hands. Those two do/did have bad hands and just can’t catch the football. Moore has soft hands, he just has technique issues.

I think another issue with Moore is this is his 3rd offense in three years. He started off at MU in 2017 with a simple, yet prolific spread passing attach at MU. Then he goes to Holmgren’s’ complicated WCO in 2018, then now to MLF’s vertical/play action offense this year.

So, in the last sixteen months he’s had to learn two complicated NFL offenses after running a basic HS level offense in college. We knew he’d have a learning curve, so I’m not going to hate on him for having issues. However, I think he needs to show improvement with catching the ball to assure himself a roster spot. We’ll see, it’s up to him.

High ankle sprain could be an IR injury, those can take awhile to get right and we don't NEED ESB today. If it's close, I suspect that's the move.

Keep: Adams, Allison, MVS, Davis, Kumerow, Shepherd

Then have ESB ready to take a spot midseason form the guy who has the least impact.

Edited by incognito_man

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

High ankle sprain could be an IR injury, those can take awhile to get right and we don't NEED ESB today. If it's close, I suspect that's the move.

Keep: Adams, Allison, MVS, Davis, Kumerow, Shepherd

Then have ESB ready to take a spot midseason form the guy who has the least impact.

Kinda bummer. I was hoping EQ was gonna make some plays for us this year.