Training Camp/Preseason 2019: 1-3: Time to get to 53

MikeT14

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

I certainly question Marshall over Perine (I question Marshall over anyone, actually) and I’m not sure I understand why they care at all about keeping a spot for Shaun Wilson so they can put him on IR. It’s RB, you can find decent young ones pretty much anywhere. They (inexplicably) guaranteed Peterson money next year, and Bryce Love will be back by then — where does Shaun Wilson ever fit in? Would have preferred to see Cam Sims or Josh Reaves or Ryan Bee stay on the roster instead of being risked on waivers. 

Reaves over Apke makes sense (because Apke pretty consistently looks terrible), but I understand why they don’t want to give up on Apke quite yet. They took him with the idea that it would be a long term project to turn him from a great athlete into a competent football player, so I guess it makes sense that they want to keep working with him. 

The rest pretty much makes sense to me. Will be interesting to see what they do with the two roster spots that will open up from Wilson and Brailford going on IR — whether it’ll be bringing back guys who were with the team already, bringing in veteran cuts, or rolling the dice on young players who showed a spark elsewhere. 

Agree.  Why do we care about Marshall if we keep S.Sims.  Can't S. Sims handle the return duties?

I would expect that if we are actually making a run, Bryce Love could be back this year.

59 minutes ago, Woz said:

That's risking a player that can help you in the now to near future time frame for a kick returner who isn't all that good and is injury prone.

How is either Cam Sims or Kidsy going to help us now? Steven Sims is basically Kidsy but he can return kicks. They picked Robert Davis over Cam Sims, I don’t have - problem with that. Davis outplayed Cam Sims.

3 hours ago, Woz said:

Makes more sense than keeping 5 RBs, especially when one of them is Marshall.

I mean, if they kept Perine as the 4th RB, it would at least make a bit of sense, but Marshall is the guy whose "pass blocking" snapped Alex Smith's leg like a twig. What does he offer the team? And I've already disposed of the special teams argument.

Another of Gruden's favorites........it's the only explanation that makes sense.  

Any released players you are interested in?  WR and OL seem like we would be desirable only bc of the promise of playing time...

Safety -

George Iloka

Shemarko Thomas

Su'a Cravens (kidding)

WR-

Demarius Thomas

LaQuon Treadwell

Jaron Brown

OL -

Josh Garnett - G

J'Marcus Webb - T

17 hours ago, lavar703 said:

And there goes Doctson. Our receiving corp is:

Richardson

McLaurin

Quinn

Davis 

Harmon

Sims Jr

This is pretty pathetic.

Wish they would get rid of Marshall maybe s nee young wr can step up. Quinn hasnt impressed me he wont be another great white slot wr. We should give his spot to cam sims.

After looking at the final roster and really seeing where we are as a team, this is 5-11 at best. The defense is filled with studs but Manusky negates a lot of that and really drags the team down. The running game should be stout but Trent being gone hurts that badly. Keenum looked bad in preseason in my opinion so I honestly think we’re going to start 0-5 and he’ll be benched. This team is really going to struggle. 

9 hours ago, daskins said:

Any released players you are interested in?  WR and OL seem like we would be desirable only bc of the promise of playing time...

Safety -

George Iloka

Shemarko Thomas

Su'a Cravens (kidding)

WR-

Demarius Thomas

LaQuon Treadwell

Jaron Brown

OL -

Josh Garnett - G

J'Marcus Webb - T

Maybe Garnett but I don’t think we’d sign him before week 1. 

57 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

After looking at the final roster and really seeing where we are as a team, this is 5-11 at best. The defense is filled with studs but Manusky negates a lot of that and really drags the team down. The running game should be stout but Trent being gone hurts that badly. Keenum looked bad in preseason in my opinion so I honestly think we’re going to start 0-5 and he’ll be benched. This team is really going to struggle. 

Jump on the bandwagon buddy! There’s plenty of room in the “Play like dooty for Jeudy” club! Or most likely a LT w/ our top 10 pick.

2 hours ago, Vladimir L said:

Wish they would get rid of Marshall maybe s nee young wr can step up. Quinn hasnt impressed me he wont be another great white slot wr. We should give his spot to cam sims.

Cam Sims & Quinn play different positions. They went with Steve Sims bc he can play slot and he’s a return man. 

We don’t see the practices, it’s obvious that Quinn has done enough to the coaches to make the team but it is frustrating that other than last years preseason and the Cowboys game - where he did play well - we haven’t seen enough of him.

Beyond that though, I still don’t understand the infatuation with Cam Sims. He hasn’t done anything either.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Good.  Much needed for any chance at long-term success with next year's strong draft class.

Still, I made a substantial bet with a 9er fan that we'll finish with a better record than them (b/c he was being obnoxious and thought I wouldn't take the bet), so I'll be happy with a large range of outcomes this season.

14 hours ago, Woz said:

I agree with all of this, except *whispers* it's Jeremy ... :D:D:D

Now I’m glad he got cut. How dare he make me look foolish like that 😂

14 hours ago, Woz said:

Simply because he was a draft pick and Reaves wasn't? He's not good. You have someone better. Why keep the draft pick simply because he's a draft pick?

Upside. We suspected he wouldn’t be a good NFL safety right out of the gate, and that proved immediately to be true. As I said, he was always a long-term project — not so different from the OT they drafted in the previous round, who also isn’t ready to play in the NFL it appears.

Unfortunately, he got hurt last year, which really limited their opportunity to develop him. But he’s still an overflowing toolbox of physical gifts, so he has upside that guys like Reaves will never approach. And he’s a core special teamer (22 snaps in 2 games last year), so he does contribute while you’re trying to develop him. 

I hope they find a way to bring Reaves back into the fold, as I’m certainly not overwhelmed with Deshazor Everett and Troy Apke as the backup safeties. But I can see why they’re not ready to give up on Apke — it’s the same (only?) reason they drafted him in the first place, sheer ridiculous athleticism. 

26 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Now I’m glad he got cut. How dare he make me look foolish like that 😂

Upside. We suspected he wouldn’t be a good NFL safety right out of the gate, and that proved immediately to be true. As I said, he was always a long-term project — not so different from the OT they drafted in the previous round, who also isn’t ready to play in the NFL it appears.

Unfortunately, he got hurt last year, which really limited their opportunity to develop him. But he’s still an overflowing toolbox of physical gifts, so he has upside that guys like Reaves will never approach. And he’s a core special teamer (22 snaps in 2 games last year), so he does contribute while you’re trying to develop him. 

I hope they find a way to bring Reaves back into the fold, as I’m certainly not overwhelmed with Deshazor Everett and Troy Apke as the backup safeties. But I can see why they’re not ready to give up on Apke — it’s the same (only?) reason they drafted him in the first place, sheer ridiculous athleticism. 

I wish they would try Apke at CB.  He seems lost in all the area he has to cover as a safety.  I think he’s be better if his assignment was to shadow a WR.

Archived