Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

18 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

At this point, tag him and let him do just that. Get 2 1st round picks to build up this team into a contender.

Do we really trust this team when it comes to finding a QB? They lucked into Romo and Dak. They wanted Paxton Lynch. 

1 hour ago, D82 said:

Do we really trust this team when it comes to finding a QB? They lucked into Romo and Dak. They wanted Paxton Lynch. 

And, had the likes of Brissett, Cook, and Driskel rated higher as well.

They're playing with fire. Plain and simple. 

5 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

On the exclusive tag, you could still shop him for 2 1st rounders to any team that might sign him, right? Not sure it makes sense to give Dak control of where he’s going and the compensation. I’d rather take bidders.

Think it through... teams only leverage is using the franchise tag.  Who would trade for a player who has already been tagged twice?  The Team would have no leverage as the third year tag is astronomical.  No player has ever been tagged 3 years in a row.  Who’s going to trade for a player with no deal in place and no ability to keep the player who will just hit FA at the end of the year and can sign with any team?  And, one more thing... to keep from being traded, Dak can wait as long as he wants to sign the tag.  Teams can’t trade an unsigned player.  

The difference with the non exclusive tag is Daks get to pick a team and gets to negotiate his compensation with that team.  The team acquiring Dak doesn’t have to worry Dak will sign with them long term... Dak already makes the commitment.  No guesswork.  Dak gets his pick of team and his compensation; Dallas gets 2 first round picks or can match the compensation.  it’s the only way for us to get guaranteed good compensation.

7 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

Think it through... teams only leverage is using the franchise tag.  Who would trade for a player who has already been tagged twice?  The Team would have no leverage as the third year tag is astronomical.  No player has ever been tagged 3 years in a row.  Who’s going to trade for a player with no deal in place and no ability to keep the player who will just hit FA at the end of the year and can sign with any team?  And, one more thing... to keep from being traded, Dak can wait as long as he wants to sign the tag.  Teams can’t trade an unsigned player.  

The difference with the non exclusive tag is Daks get to pick a team and gets to negotiate his compensation with that team.  The team acquiring Dak doesn’t have to worry Dak will sign with them long term... Dak already makes the commitment.  No guesswork.  Dak gets his pick of team and his compensation; Dallas gets 2 first round picks or can match the compensation.  it’s the only way for us to get guaranteed good compensation.

The Cowboys can give permission for Dak to negotiate a contract before the trade goes through. And on the flip-side, a team might not be eager to negotiate a contract that Dallas just ends up matching. 

I know Dak can wait and not sign the tag, but so what? That doesn’t give him more power than the freedom to pick literally any team he wants. You just have to find a team he’d be agreeable to go to, and you can probably get more return.

Your goal doesn’t seem to be to maximize return. Your goal is to maximize the likelihood that he leaves. 

Either way this is a bloody mess. While I understand why Dak wasn't signed in 2019 and at the time agreed in principle with the reasoning, circumstances have made that a terrible decision, The other part of this is for Dallas to sign Dak to a deal there also needs to be some salary cap cut which is another major issue. 

I might actually strongly consider no longer being a fan/ supporting this franchise if they choose not to sign Dak. Also, the talk about potentially trying to get Watson or Wilson is profoundly stupid. 

I'm not even really some huge Dak fanboy. I just really feel that strongly about having him on the team. 

Edited by NoFlyZone

1 hour ago, NoFlyZone said:

I might actually strongly consider no longer being a fan/ supporting this franchise if they choose not to sign Dak. Also, the talk about potentially trying to get Watson or Wilson is profoundly stupid. 

I'm not even really some huge Dak fanboy. I just really feel that strongly about having him on the team. 

Actually, in this instance the organization is doing the RIGHT thing.  Overpaying for a QB can be devastating to a franchises success.  We are now seeing several teams trying to get out of bad QB deals.   Paying Dak the $40M that he wants would be a franchise killer.  Think of it this way... the team is already below average so what else are you willing to give up to keep Dak?  And how does giving up on those players help the team?  If you say you are willing to release Tank to keep Dak... Ok.  But how does that help a defense that was already the worst in franchise history?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

The Cowboys can give permission for Dak to negotiate a contract before the trade goes through. And on the flip-side, a team might not be eager to negotiate a contract that Dallas just ends up matching. 

I know Dak can wait and not sign the tag, but so what? That doesn’t give him more power than the freedom to pick literally any team he wants. You just have to find a team he’d be agreeable to go to, and you can probably get more return.

Your goal doesn’t seem to be to maximize return. Your goal is to maximize the likelihood that he leaves. 

Dawg, I know you are smarter than this.  So what that Dak can not sign the tag?  So, Dak can literally wait until the trade deadline passes, sign the tag, play the final 8 games, still get paid $19M, and be a FA at the end of the year with 100% autonomy to do whatever he wants next year.  Dak controls the cards right now because everyone knows he won’t be tagged again. So, give Dak the chance to negotiate now.  That’s what he wants.  But the team is still protected.  They can match if they want.  They can take 2 first round picks if they want.  It’s the only guaranteed leverage the team has.  

2 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

Dawg, I know you are smarter than this.  So what that Dak can not sign the tag?  So, Dak can literally wait until the trade deadline passes, sign the tag, play the final 8 games, still get paid $19M, and be a FA at the end of the year with 100% autonomy to do whatever he wants next year.  Dak controls the cards right now because everyone knows he won’t be tagged again. So, give Dak the chance to negotiate now.  That’s what he wants.  But the team is still protected.  They can match if they want.  They can take 2 first round picks if they want.  It’s the only guaranteed leverage the team has.  

If they really wanted to, they can literally give Dak and his agent all the same permissions to seek out a trade partner and negotiate terms of a long-term contract, with a clear understanding that 2 first round picks from a good team like the Saints is not going to be enough compensation, or that they won’t trade him to a division rival like WFT.

This would put Dak in basically the same position to seek out who he wants to play for, but would protect you. It would also open up the possibility of player-for-player trades (Deshaun Watson, Russell Wilson). Obviously, Dak would have to be open to those destinations, but clearly this gives you much more control over the type of return.

Your premise that the non-exclusive somehow gives you less leverage just doesn’t hold water, unless Dak’s biggest motivator is to screw over Dallas.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

15 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

If they really wanted to, they can literally give Dak and his agent all the same permissions to seek out a trade partner and negotiate terms of a long-term contract, with a clear understanding that 2 first round picks from a good team like the Saints is not going to be enough compensation, or that they won’t trade him to a division rival like WFT.

This would put Dak in basically the same position to seek out who he wants to play for, but would protect you. It would also open up the possibility of player-for-player trades (Deshaun Watson, Russell Wilson). Obviously, Dak would have to be open to those destinations, but clearly this gives you much more control over the type of return.

Your premise that the non-exclusive somehow gives you less leverage just doesn’t hold water, unless Dak’s biggest motivator is to screw over Dallas.

I mean at this point, would you blame him? 

1 hour ago, D82 said:

I mean at this point, would you blame him? 

Uh, yeah, I’d blame him for deliberately sabotaging a chance to land a long-term deal at a destination he’d want to play at out of spite.

The dude wants to play for Dallas, he loves his teammates, and he’s been a true leader through everything. If this thing ends without him getting a long-term deal, I expect he’ll handle it absolute class.

4 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Uh, yeah, I’d blame him for deliberately sabotaging a chance to land a long-term deal at a destination he’d want to play at out of spite.

The dude wants to play for Dallas, he loves his teammates, and he’s been a true leader through everything. If this thing ends without him getting a long-term deal, I expect he’ll handle it absolute class.

Oh, no doubt he'd handle it with class. But I also would expect there'd be some resentment there and he'd try and get back at the team...granted, I'd have no doubt it would be in a professional manner. 

49 minutes ago, D82 said:

Oh, no doubt he'd handle it with class. But I also would expect there'd be some resentment there and he'd try and get back at the team...granted, I'd have no doubt it would be in a professional manner. 

I didn’t say he’d have no ill feelings. But unless he’s going to turn down the opportunity to be traded to a team and sign a massive contract just to hold out on signing the tag and be forced to play 8 games in a toxic situation, it’s his main driver, and we shouldn’t expect him to act like it is.