Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

Basically MY TAKE....  OTHER THEN RB...  if you have a talent that is then top 10 at his position YOU PAY HIM>>>> 

Dak  top ten easy, I say top 5 pay him...   ZEKE RB.. NO...   JONES...  NO.. paying him top 5 made no sense as he wasn't close to that good.    Jaylon...  on the edge.  was not top 10 but we did not pay him top money either he is around the 32nd highest in 2020 close to 26th in 2021 ..  over paid by a mile based on  2020 not based on 2018.    

Also.... IF YOU HAVE A TOP 10-15 QB then DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO TOO KEEP HIM>>>> 

IT just amazes me that so many people are complaining about NOT RESIGNING JONES.....    He was talented by NOT even close to demand the type of salary he got from MIAMI... he is a top 40 CB in football if that. Not pro-bowl level and  can be replaced easily in the draft or FA with out breaking bank.   this is the type of signing that makes no sense.  People say, look spending top 5-10 money on DAK is wrong because then we can't spend TOP 5 money on a average CB, say what...     

Edited by quiller

Ive said it before, I’ll say it again. We need to end this saga now. Put the Non Exclusive Franchise Tag on him and let him negotiate with any team. If he signs an offer sheet, match it or take the 2 first round picks! Plain and simple. 

Let Dak and his agent do the work. If he thinks his market is as high as he wants, let him find out. 

We can’t move forward without this situation resolved. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, textaz03 said:

Ive said it before, I’ll say it again. We need to end this saga now. Put the Non Exclusive Franchise Tag on him and let him negotiate with any team. If he signs an offer sheet, match it or take the 2 first round picks! Plain and simple. 

Let Dak and his agent do the work. If he thinks his market is as high as he wants, let him find out. 

I’ll say it again, you can give him the freedom to do all of those things on the exclusive tag, while retaining the right to veto certain destinations (WFT) and demanding more in a trade from teams with low 1st rounders (NO).

Non-exclusive tag does not make sense. 

9 hours ago, textaz03 said:

I’d do the same thing but with the exclusive tag for the sole purpose of being able to better control where he lands in the hope of getting better draft picks.

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Ding, ding, ding!

Whether you want to re-sign Dak or move on, the exclusive tag is the only way to go.

Wrong.  But limiting where he goes, you limit the market and negotiating power.  No team is going to give up quality picks for a one year rental.  By limiting access to Dak, you limit the market entirely.  By putting the non exclusive tag on him, we invite everyone.  Dak finds out what his market value is and whose willing to pay it.  It lets him decide what he really wants.  Does he really want to be a cowboy or does he really want the extra money.  Either way, Dallas is 100% protected.  We can match the offer or take the picks.  By using the exclusive tag we run a strong risk of losing Dak for a third round compensatory pick if Dak decides he really wants to maximize his value... something he will never know if Jerry gets to decide who he can and can’t negotiate with.

Has anyone done the math that shows just what the franchise has to do money wise to even afford the second tag under the cap.  Either way I think if the team wants Dak there needs to be 40 plus free, closer to 50 if we want to tag dak.  We have 23 M or so...  

draft king seems to say of we restructure DLaw we can gain around 12. Cut OT Smith and LB Smith to add about 25-30 M.  That gives us around 40 which we need if we do a deal back loaded correctly. Thus when the big money hits we no longer have the coop or Zeke's contracts. 

or we also can save around 15 M trading Cooper rather then cutting both Smiths... 

I don't know what we save cutting OT Collins rather OT Smith ...

Edited by quiller

4 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

Wrong.  But limiting where he goes, you limit the market and negotiating power.  No team is going to give up quality picks for a one year rental.  By limiting access to Dak, you limit the market entirely.  By putting the non exclusive tag on him, we invite everyone.  Dak finds out what his market value is and whose willing to pay it.  It lets him decide what he really wants.  Does he really want to be a cowboy or does he really want the extra money.  Either way, Dallas is 100% protected.  We can match the offer or take the picks.  By using the exclusive tag we run a strong risk of losing Dak for a third round compensatory pick if Dak decides he really wants to maximize his value... something he will never know if Jerry gets to decide who he can and can’t negotiate with.

I’m not sure why this is hard to understand, but you can quite  literally give him the freedom to go seek trades and negotiate agreements just as he could with the non-exclusive, while also opening up the market for teams who might not want to give up picks but have good players to trade (I.e. Deshaun Watson, Russel Wilson).

The clock is now ticking! As of 4pm Eastern the Franchise / Transition Tag window has officially opened. 

The Cowboys now have until 4pm March 9th to either work out a contract for Dak or give him the Tag (again). That’s 14 days to get this done. 

31 minutes ago, romo2bryant said:

4 options

Wilson for Dak

Watson for Dak

Dak to Miami for Tua + however many firsts

Sign Dak

any of these 4 would be fine by me, if we let him walk for nothing, MAN.

I highly doubt that we could trade for either Wilson or Watson straight up.