Dak Thread....still debating, beating a dead horse

WizardHawk

3 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

It’s actually kind of a creative idea. If we tagged Dak with a non-exclusive tag, and Miami felt confident they could sign Dak and Dallas wouldn’t match, there isn’t anything stopping them from trading down from from #3 to ~#30 for future picks, and then signing Dak.

There are a lot of moving parts that make it unlikely to happen. But they definitely could make a pre-draft trade and still try to sign Dak.

It would be highly unlikely; so much to the point where it’s not even worth focusing on. 

8 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

It would be highly unlikely; so much to the point where it’s not even worth focusing on. 

Let's say this thing gets really ugly with Dak, and everyone knew we weren't going to end up matching an offer.

The right strategic thing for any team trying to sign Dak would be to simultaneously start negotiating a trade-down, and pull the trigger on that, right before Dak signed his offer sheet. 

I agree, the odds of it happening are really small. But it's a really interesting idea nonetheless. And it's just another thing that exemplifies the lack of control you have with the non-exclusive tag.

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Let's say this thing gets really ugly with Dak, and everyone knew we weren't going to end up matching an offer.

The right strategic thing for any team trying to sign Dak would be to simultaneously start negotiating a trade-down, and pull the trigger on that, right before Dak signed his offer sheet. 

I agree, the odds of it happening are really small. But it's a really interesting idea nonetheless. And it's just another thing that exemplifies the lack of control you have with the non-exclusive tag.

If Miami had the #2 pick, then I’d give it more weight and consideration. But, at 3? I don’t see it. Most teams would be looking to trade up for a QB, but no team is going to know if “their guy” will be there at 3, unless they view Wilson, Fields, and Lance equally, which is unlikely. The amount of draft compensation that a team would have to cough up to move up would be far too great to do that blindly.

18 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

If Miami had the #2 pick, then I’d give it more weight and consideration. But, at 3? I don’t see it. Most teams would be looking to trade up for a QB, but no team is going to know if “their guy” will be there at 3, unless they view Wilson, Fields, and Lance equally, which is unlikely. The amount of draft compensation that a team would have to cough up to move up would be far too great to do that blindly.

But Miami should be willing to sell the pick for cheap in this scenario, right? Sell it for quarters on the dollar to a team that otherwise wouldn't have a chance at one of the top-3 QBs (like Denver, Chicago, NO).

Obviously we aren't going to end up in this scenario. But if they were confident that Dak would sign and Dallas would not match, what's stopping them from selling the pick to the highest bidder first and saddling Dallas with a low 1st rounder instead of #3?

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

17 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

But Miami should be willing to sell the pick for cheap in this scenario, right? Sell it for quarters on the dollar to a team that otherwise wouldn't have a chance at one of the top-3 QBs (like Denver, Chicago, NO).

Obviously we aren't going to end up in this scenario. But if they were confident that Dak would sign and Dallas would not match, what's stopping them from selling the pick to the highest bidder first and saddling Dallas with a low 1st rounder instead of #3?

I’m not sure they’d have any real reason to do that, though, because they’d also be hurting themselves in that scenario. Yes, the first round drops, but so will the additional compensation that they wouldn’t be trading away. I totally see your point here, but it just doesn’t seem like something that a team would do.

8 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

I’m not sure they’d have any real reason to do that, though, because they’d also be hurting themselves in that scenario. Yes, the first round drops, but so will the additional compensation that they wouldn’t be trading away. I totally see your point here, but it just doesn’t seem like something that a team would do.

I don't think I follow. If they signed Dak after we put a non-exclusive tag on him, they owe us 2 first round picks. It doesn't matter what number they are.

So let's say they have pick #3. They can give up pick #3 and a 2021 1st round pick to get Dak.

Or they could trade down. Let's say they even take a fleecing, and trade #3 for #30 and #60. Then, they give us #30 and 2021 1st round pick, and they've netted #60 as a freebie in the deal for their troubles. It's easy to imagine they could get quite a bit more than #60, too.

The thing that prevents them from doing this, is that the Cowboys might match the offer. But let's say the things got so ugly, and there was no way we would match? Having a fire sale on their first round pick is absolutely what the other team should do.

On 3/1/2021 at 11:38 AM, plan9misfit said:

If Miami signs him, it would happen before the draft, so they won’t have the opportunity to trade down.

Says who? Draft picks are dealt all the time pre-draft, but you are saying they can’t move down pre-draft? Is that a rule? I can’t recall an example one way or the other.

And if the trade down is allowed pre-draft or in that tender window, Miami should easily be able to pick up an additional 2nd if someone is moving up for a receiver or corner. OT probably a premium as well. Then we’d end up in no man’s land with three mid 1st round picks.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/dak-prescott-wants-cowboys-to-pay-him-right-behind-mahomes-and-pay-him-respect-report?fbclid=IwAR1YPCuGKNZ-IO2vsi5jz2wjdubdsJ5-vOdf60UuVfqGaXry_O4i7G_J8iI

I pretty much done with Dak at this point... y’all can keep defending him if you want.  But I care a lot more about the overall good of the team than whether he feels sufficiently respected after turning down huge contracts.

45 minutes ago, The_Slamman said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/dak-prescott-wants-cowboys-to-pay-him-right-behind-mahomes-and-pay-him-respect-report?fbclid=IwAR1YPCuGKNZ-IO2vsi5jz2wjdubdsJ5-vOdf60UuVfqGaXry_O4i7G_J8iI

I pretty much done with Dak at this point... y’all can keep defending him if you want.  But I care a lot more about the overall good of the team than whether he feels sufficiently respected after turning down huge contracts.

I saw this earlier today and if true, I feel the same way Slam. 

My only question is on Slater. Is she getting her info from the team or the player? Knowing the source of the information will give us a better view of the picture being painted. If the info truly came from Dak and his camp, then he can take his respect and single playoff win elsewhere.

If they don’t get something reasonable done in the next week, they need to give him the non exclusive tag. Let him see his true market value, if it’s in our ballpark we match. If not we take the picks and turn them into our next QB. Whether that’s a trade for a vet like Watson or Wilson, or a rookie like Wilson, Fields, Lance.

6 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

all I can say is tag his arse and deal him away for some quality picks!! No way is he worth 42-45 mil per season!!!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

27 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

6-11 in his last 17 starts, with most of those pass attempts and yards coming in garbage time when teams aren’t pressuring him.

Hey, it’s about respect.  So, we should probably just pay him $40M+ per year regardless of how much he loses.