Raiders @ Green Bay "Tighten Things Up Bowl"

Leader

53 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

I think it has to do with the fact that less groundwork is needed in Canada. Around 20% of Canadians report being NFL Fans. 

Compared to 12% in the UK. Mexico is around 18% but with a population of almost 130 million - it seems like Mexico should be the NFL's focus. 

You need to multiply fan interest by disposable income.

And then factor in if any player is going to want to play there considering the significant security risks. 

30 minutes ago, Norm said:

I know I've seen a guy online from Germany just talk about his experience and how crazy it's gotten from NFLE to now, he swears up and down and it would be amazing if they brought it back there anyways. Like it was just kind of a novelty then, but many people there are just as obsessed as Americans now. 

That's why I don't like using NFLE against what is going on now. It's not representative anymore.

Edit, which isn't to say I went teams outside of the USA and stuff like that, but I'm not as against it as most, but there's some pretty obvious reasons why it would be an issue

Other than Canada, Germany is by far the easiest fit from a population interest perspective.  The issue is the language barrier still exists, albeit in a very limited form.

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Germany is by far the easiest fit from a population interest perspective. 

Do you know why this is? Why is it popular there? NFLE hooked some?

Edited by Norm

Just now, Norm said:

Do you know why this is? Why is it popular there? NFLE hooked some?

Look at the population. Taller, bigger, stronger than the rest of Europe. Players look more similar to them.

Traditionally enjoy more physical and even combat sports. They're wealthier so they can setup a field for activities other than soccer. They get more snow which tends to cancel soccer.

While Bundesliga is still huge, it's neither the Premiere League nor La Liga so the home soccer is second tier, with a good number of home grown players leaving to play elsewhere.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You need to multiply fan interest by disposable income.

And then factor in if any player is going to want to play there considering the significant security risks. 

Security concerns are valid for sure. And for disposable income, it would have to be a state by state thing obviously.

Average Mexico City disposable income is just short of Florida which supports 3 teams. Obviously a team couldn't be supported in a lot of Mexican states but there are certainly locations where it is feasible from a disposable income view. 

tweets

There's going to be smaller groups of players on the sidelines for the #Packers and #Raiders - not all 90 for either team have made the trip for various reasons. Once they all come out we'll have an idea of who actually will suit up of course.

Packers LB Blake Martinez won’t play tonight vs. the Raiders in Winnipeg. He did not make the trip, a source said, but I’m told it’s nothing serious. He will be available for the start of the regular season.

I can't imagine a team failing in Toronto, but it would have to be in a suburb or western Toronto (Etobicoke). I have a hard time seeing people being able to get to the games in the core. I guess they do it already for the Jays, that stadium has a capacity if $50k.

The CFL is way too big out west for them to even consider it, and the population isn't nearly big enough. Montreal wouldn't work, people in Quebec are too proud of their own ****. I don't know enough about Vancouver to say that would work, but they have a good population and high enough income. 

Just now, incognito_man said:

Is it just me or has the pre-season become even MORE watered down over the last several years?

Well it has especially for us because Rodgers just hasn't played. But yes as a whole there's just less interest in it