Raiders @ Green Bay "Tighten Things Up Bowl"

Leader

My summary:

QB: Boyle started for a change and played the whole first half. He looked awful for the first two or three drives, but then he got hot and looked really good. Kizer played the whole second half and barely got a chance to do anything because the protection was so bad. I think Boyle may have moved ahead of him, though. 

RB: Dexter Williams made a nice play on a screen pass (yes, he actually caught it) and had a few nice runs. He still looks like the clear choice for #3 RB. I don't know what they see in Tra Carson. They sure play him a lot. He looked a little better in this game, but not much. If they keep four RBs, he could make the team. Darrin Hall and Keith Ford barely saw the field. 

WR: Trevor Davis had already made the team before this game, but he has now moved into the #4 or #5 WR spot. Kumerow caught another TD pass. St. Brown could not get open as usual but made a gutsy catch on a slant and got lit up by a defender. He did not appear to suffer a head or neck injury, but he did suffer a significant leg injury and may be out for awhile. When they helped him off the field, he did not put any weight on his left leg, and later he rode the cart into the locker room. Darrius Sheppard made a couple more great catches. For a guy with a slow 40 time, he looks pretty fast out there, and for a short guy, he is very good at leaping up to catch high passes. Allen Lazard made a couple of catches and almost made a great catch on a long throw down the middle. J'Mon Moore was targeted once, late in the game, and caught the ball for a very short gain. Sheppard could sneak onto the roster, especially if St. Brown misses time with his injury, but I think Lazard is still a long shot. 

TE: Robert Tonyan played a lot in the first half and looked good catching the ball again. I wouldn't be surprised to see him surpass Jimmy Graham for playing time by midseason. 

OL: The #2 unit that played in the first half looked pretty good. The #3 unit that played in the second half looked awful. I think Cole Madison and Anthony Coyle had a couple of holding penalties apiece, and the pass blocking was atrocious. I wish I could name more names. I have a hard time keeping track of offensive linemen in preseason games. 

DL: Montravius Adams was the only starter who played on the DL, and he got in on the action a couple times as usual. Kingsley Keke made at least one good play that I noticed. 

ILB: Curtis Bolton got injured early and was later on the sideline in crutches. He was supposed to replace Oren Burks, so now they need to figure something else out. Ty Summers was very active again, and he tackled well in this game. I think the coaches see him as Martinez's backup though, along with James Crawford. Brady Sheldon made a couple of good plays, so maybe they will consider him for the roster if Bolton can't play, but he is probably too raw. 

OLB: Rashan Gary was more active in this game but got injured twice. The first time a WR bumped into him in the open field and he crumpled to the ground, but he walked off the field and came back later. The second time his neck snapped back when he helped out on a tackle. It didn't look real bad, but you always hate to see a neck injury.

CB: Josh Jackson finally played and made a couple of nice plays defending passes. He is likely to be the #5 CB now that Tony Brown has emerged as the #4. Chandon Sullivan got thrown at a lot. He got beaten a couple of times but also made some good plays. He could make the roster. Ka'Dar Hollman did not play due to an injury. I'm thinking it's Hollman vs. Sullivan for the #6 CB spot. 

S: Will Redmond played a lot. It was a mixed bag as usual from him, but I think he is the #4 safety. 

Special teams: J.K. Scott was awesome. This is the player they were hoping for when they drafted him. He had good distance and hang time on all of his punts, I think, and punted one out of bounds around the one-yard-line. The kickers didn't have a chance to do much because there were no kickoffs (due to the ridiculous 80-yard field configuration) or field goal attempts--just three extra points. I don't know who kicked them, but they were all good. There is a chance of the Packers keeping two kickers for at least the first week of the season, though, because the Bears are desperately in need of a kicker, and whoever the Packers cut may end up playing against them in week one. 

28 minutes ago, Greg C. said:

Dexter Williams made a nice play on a screen pass (yes, he actually caught it) and had a few nice runs. He still looks like the clear choice for #3 RB.

he's really made some huge errors w/ security/drops/protection. i think he's a practice squad guy right now personally, he just can't be relied upon. think darrin hall and keith ford are the 3rd and 4th best running backs on this roster. but yeah like you were saying i have no idea why tra carson continues getting carries either. 

33 minutes ago, Greg C. said:

I'm thinking it's Hollman vs. Sullivan for the #6 CB spot.

man you gotta think hollman is a lock right now imo. it'd be pretty shocking to see him not on the 53. he's been one of the main talking points throughout camp and was playing damn good ball until the injury. but chandon's definitely always around the ball lol. whether it be good or bad. definitely a mixed bag. bag had more goodies tonight.

36 minutes ago, Greg C. said:

S: Will Redmond played a lot. It was a mixed bag as usual from him, but I think he is the #4 safety. 

i feel pretty good about our S situation w/ greene and campbell back there now. were they trying redmond at safety tonight? i saw someone on twitter mention redmond being a safety and thought he was just confused

8 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

i feel pretty good about our S situation w/ greene and campbell back there now. were they trying redmond at safety tonight? i saw someone on twitter mention redmond being a safety and thought he was just confused

Redmond is listed as a safety on the roster, and I believe he has been playing safety throughout the preseason. I was confused after the first preseason game because I thought he was a CB. Maybe they switched him around that time, or maybe he had been listed incorrectly somewhere. Campbell is injured, and I have not heard when he is expected to return. They would not have signed him if he was expected to be out for a long time, though. 

Hollman is the natural fit for Pettine. His spot is locked down at LEAST to the 6, I'd venture that hes over Jackson at this point. I'd really hope Jackson starts seeing the nickle/safety reps. His injury really chucked him down the DC. Chandon is pretty comfortably in the 1st DB PS spot I'd think.

Redmond is probably FS 2 unless if injury strikes they just move tramon back. But I'd still have Redmond on the roster. Campbell and Jones are flying purgatory right now. The ILB situation probably helps them a bit. I think Raven has a firm grasp behind Amos.

Edited by HighCalebR

Saw the play that took Gary off the field and my initial impression was it looked a lot like the tackle that took Shazier out of the NFL. Same kind of low, moving forward dive tackle. Gary's looked a bit more violent in fact. Could be Gary and the GBPs dodged a bullet here.

3 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

it's been kind of annoying how carson continues getting snaps over darrin hall. i can't understand that. the battle for #3 should definitely be ford and hall. 

Truth. Though Ford did blow a blitz pick up. Hall has got like zero play and this has upset me.

I hate watching exhibition / preseason games what with all the player changes and lack of announcers keeping track. You've got to constantly be scanning the huddles to see who's on the field - or on defense - recognize some guy you've never seen before - or do a quick read of his name (if you get to see it....) when they make a play or get in the proximity of the ball. More a pain in the proverbial than anything else.

16 minutes ago, Leader said:

I hate watching exhibition / preseason games what with all the player changes and lack of announcers keeping track. You've got to constantly be scanning the huddles to see who's on the field - or on defense - recognize some guy you've never seen before - or do a quick read of his name (if you get to see it....) when they make a play or get in the proximity of the ball. More a pain in the proverbial than anything else.

The worst part IMO is the sideline interviews that just skips over plays. Maybe it shoots back in time to show the tackle pile. It's all garbage and I dont know why they dont put out the all 22 for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Saw the play that took Gary off the field and my initial impression was it looked a lot like the tackle that took Shazier out of the NFL. Same kind of low, moving forward dive tackle. Gary's looked a bit more violent in fact. Could be Gary and the GBPs dodged a bullet here.

This was one you could see coming when he dived so low to make that tackle attempt.  It made me cringe a little because you could see his upper body get bent back a little more than it should go.