CAR QB Cam Newton leaves week 3 preseason game with foot injury

Broncofan

9 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

I cannot believe some people are still on this.  It's time to get over it.

In CAR’s case it’s apt though.   Their O is built around Cam’s mobility and perceived threat as a runner.   A drop back passer doesn’t give D’s the same wrinkles.  

Any team using QB mobility as a staple feature with the read option should be considering backups who offer some of those skills.   As much as RG3 doesn’t have much left in the tank BAL has him to be Lamar's Plan B. It fits well with the scheme.   For CAR Kyle Allen isn’t that guy and neither other option looks even close to ready.  I don’t have a problem if the CAR FO thought the young guys would be their long term backup plan but now they can’t wait on them. 

I’ll stop by saying I get why a lot of teams aren’t going there for fit reasons in their scheme    It’s why I don’t agree that every team should have considered CK.   But in CAR’s case if Cam is out that’s a huge fit.  And I’ll leave it at that.  

Edited by Broncofan

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Any team using QB mobility as a staple feature with the read option should be considering backups who offer some of those skills.   As much as RG3 doesn’t have much left in the tank BAL has him to be Lamar's Plan B. It fits well with the scheme.   For CAR Kyle Allen isn’t that guy and neither other option looks even close to ready.  I don’t have a problem if the CAR FO thought the young guys would be their long term backup plan but now they can’t wait on them. 

Eh, Panthers don't really run the read-option that much anymore.  Not with Turner anyway.  I mean of course you call it when you have a guy like Newton, but last year Cam had his 2nd lowest attempts per game and usually only ran out of necessity.  So that is why we have guys like Grier and Allen, pocket passers although they can get mobile.  

Granted they aren't good so there's that.  But I don't really care.  It's why the Grier pick was... meh.  I wasn't against it but at the end of the day, if Newton gets hurt, we are screwed no matter what.

On 8/22/2019 at 11:12 PM, Broncofan said:

And if he’s out a while, Cam isn’t getting replaced by anyone on the roster.  Taylor Heinecke is JAG and Will Grier is sushi raw.  

If only there was a backup QB type that was mobile and could run a read option O available.   -_-

RG3 is currently signed to the Baltimore Ravens.

• Like 1