2019 Week 1 Packers @ Bears Game Week discussion

boratt

22 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Because it's not just Rodgers. The offense is a collaboration not a single entity

What do you think changes between practice and a preseason game (more practice) other than being tackled to the ground? Timing can be had against air or 7v7. Game speed/talent will be different in a preseason game vs a regular season game as starters are held out for a mild cough. You're talking about popping a hammy, like any of the starters would play long enough to "condition" their muscles. It's not like Thursday will be the first time theyve taken a snap together just because you didnt see it in a stadium. I dont think preseason snaps are pointless, I do think they're 100% overrated though. I'd always let the entrenched guys sit them out if theyd like. The young guys need the extended action more than Rodgers, Bakh, Linsley, Bulaga, Adam's and Jones need 1 drive.

Why cant they collab in practice where we can give the offense real game looks?  How much gelling goes on in 1 drive?

32 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

This is the most interesting and relevant article I’ve read all offseason! Wow!

1 minute ago, HighCalebR said:

What do you think changes between practice and a preseason game (more practice) other than being tackled to the ground? Timing can be had against air or 7v7. Game speed/talent will be different in a preseason game vs a regular season game as starters are held out for a mild cough. You're talking about popping a hammy, like any of the starters would play long enough to "condition" their muscles. It's not like Thursday will be the first time theyve taken a snap together just because you didnt see it in a stadium. I dont think preseason snaps are pointless, I do think they're 100% overrated though. I'd always let the entrenched guys sit them out if theyd like. The young guys need the extended action more than Rodgers, Bakh, Linsley, Bulaga, Adam's and Jones need 1 drive.

Why cant they collab in practice where we can give the offense real game looks?  How much gelling goes on in 1 drive?

I have no problem disagreeing on the main premise. It's largely opinion. But why throw in the bonus statement that you know is bogus. Of course 1 drive isn't enough. Again, how many times have we heard that you can't simulate game conditions ? Rodgers and MLF know that too. Each of them will say it at least 10 times this year. So any talk of practice being good enough is simply wishful thinking.  I don't know how many snaps I would have given the first team offense. I would have certainly given more than zero. Going against the same defense against the same 2 or 3 guys day in and day out - there is certainly a point of diminishing returns. Again, blocking, ball security, tackling, timing and a myriad of others things I mentioned previously will be brand new on Thursday. Because you can't simulate game day. Oh, and a brand new system too.

20 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Too much green and gold Kool Aide

Of course he likes practice reps. Of course he says they are valuable. You also take it one game at a time. And don't count your chickens before they're hatched. Go ugly early. You've missed the entire point

Drinking the Kool Aid because I don’t see the relevance of pre-season 🤣. 

I get get back in your day football was a REAL MAN’S SPORT unlike today,  where players played through injuries not like these guys and their concussions and other injuries! They wear too many pads too!

The game has changed and is continuing to change. Many teams don’t value pre-season for their starters at all 🤷🏻‍♂️. Way the league is changing. Making it safer for the players.

Tom Silverstein: Packers injury report is out. Only additions are CB Tramon Williams (knee), who was limited, and T Alex Light (wrist), who was a full participant. TE Jimmy Graham (finger) was upgraded to full participant as was T Bryan Bulaga, who was rested yesterday.

6 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I have no problem disagreeing on the main premise. It's largely opinion. But why throw in the bonus statement that you know is bogus. Of course 1 drive isn't enough. Again, how many times have we heard that you can't simulate game conditions ? Rodgers and MLF know that too. Each of them will say it at least 10 times this year. So any talk of practice being good enough is simply wishful thinking.  I don't know how many snaps I would have given the first team offense. I would have certainly given more than zero. Going against the same defense against the same 2 or 3 guys day in and day out - there is certainly a point of diminishing returns. Again, blocking, ball security, tackling, timing and a myriad of others things I mentioned previously will be brand new on Thursday. Because you can't simulate game day. Oh, and a brand new system too.

While I agree with your comments on the surface. In my opinion, the gains you might get from playing your guys in the preseason doesn't outweigh the risk of losing one of your top guys to injury. McVey didn't play his starters at all in the preseason last year and that worked out pretty well for them.

We have a tough, important start to the season with Chicago and Minnesota to start out. They may have played their starters a little, but not a lot, so I'm not sure it's a big difference. Also, Preseason practices are a little more spirited than regular season because guys are playing to keep getting a paycheck. 

Edited by Golfman

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Tom Silverstein: Packers injury report is out. Only additions are CB Tramon Williams (knee), who was limited, and T Alex Light (wrist), who was a full participant. TE Jimmy Graham (finger) was upgraded to full participant as was T Bryan Bulaga, who was rested yesterday.

Assume he'll play, but it wouldn't exactly break my heart if we had to see what Alexander, King, Jackson and Brown brought to the table at CB. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

You guys are over thinking this audible stuff. Give an NFL QB time and he will slice and dice any defense. This game will be won or lost in the trenches, like a Packer-Bear game should be.

I think the fact that we are strong on both the Dline and Oline should help lead us to the playoffs.  Add in #12 and a hopefully much improved overall defense and we should be tough for anyone to handle.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Golfman said:

While I agree with your comments on the surface. In my opinion, the gains you might get from playing your guys in the preseason doesn't outweigh the risk of losing one of your top guys to injury. McVey didn't play his starters at all in the preseason last year and that worked out pretty well for them.

We have a tough, important start to the season with Chicago and Minnesota to start out. They may have played their starters a little, but not a lot, so I'm not sure it's a big difference. Also, Preseason practices are a little more spirited than regular season because guys are playing to keep a paycheck. 

On the surface opinion is all this is about. If someone wants to put all their eggs in the injury basket - fine with me, but to say preseason snaps are useless is where my main contention lies. And tongue in cheek I'll say if the competitive sessions in practice are so grueling and battle testing, couldn't you get injured then too ?

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

I think the fact that we are strong on both the Dline and Oline should help lead us to the playoffs.  Add in #12 and a hopefully much improved overall defense and we should be tough for anyone to handle.

Both lines will get a good test on Thursday. One thing people seem to be forgetting is Rodgers had a crappy year last year for whatever reason. If he returns to form, look out. One concern is how the D-line performs without Daniels. If they can get at least a draw with the Bears O-line and our O-line can get a draw with Chicago's D-line, then the QBs will determine the outcome. I like our QB better. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Or because Rodgers admitted afterward that it was a personal opinion for himself and acknowledged how valuable those snaps were for the team

We’re not talking about the rest of the team. We’re talking about Aaron Rodgers. 

And let me clarify, I do believe pre season is relevant for younger players, rookies, fringe roster guys. Not 2 time MVP award winners.

Just now, Rainmaker90 said:

We’re not talking about the rest of the team. We’re talking about Aaron Rodgers. 

And let me clarify, I do believe pre season is relevant for younger players, rookies, fringe roster guys. Not 2 time MVP award winners.

You may be talking just about Rodgers. I made it clear it was Rodgers and the entire offense. Another great example is the offensive line. Even veterans have said that each year there is a gelling period.