2019 Week 1 Packers @ Bears Game Week discussion

boratt

18 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I have no problem disagreeing on the main premise. It's largely opinion. But why throw in the bonus statement that you know is bogus. Of course 1 drive isn't enough. Again, how many times have we heard that you can't simulate game conditions ? Rodgers and MLF know that too. Each of them will say it at least 10 times this year. So any talk of practice being good enough is simply wishful thinking.  I don't know how many snaps I would have given the first team offense. I would have certainly given more than zero. Going against the same defense against the same 2 or 3 guys day in and day out - there is certainly a point of diminishing returns. Again, blocking, ball security, tackling, timing and a myriad of others things I mentioned previously will be brand new on Thursday. Because you can't simulate game day. Oh, and a brand new system too.

I guess we disagree on what preseason "games" are. Theyre literally attempting to simulate a game, which weve agreed upon cannot be done. No game plan, vanilla everything, it's just practice on a fancier field with a higher proclivity for injury.. Its not like we were going to see Chris Jones, JJ Watt or Jimmy Smith. 

My 1 drive statement isnt any less true than your "brand new" statement. Everything that will be brand new will be unscouted anyways. Why cant you practice ball security and timing in PRACTICE, where our best players play, unlike the majority of the other teams in PS. Tackling is tackling. It's never going to be perfect, especially early, under the current rules. It's not new to these guys, especially the ones who get to sit.

But like you say, it's an opinion; maybe it's a different eras thing.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Both lines will get a good test on Thursday. One thing people seem to be forgetting is Rodgers had a crappy year last year for whatever reason. If he returns to form, look out. One concern is how the D-line performs without Daniels. If they can get at least a draw with the Bears O-line and our O-line can get a draw with Chicago's D-line, then the QBs will determine the outcome. I like our QB better. 

I think this is the biggest thing this year.......AR. He had a crappy year for lots of reasons. Missed open guys, would not throw to open guys and generally played poorly. Whether it was his engagement level, injury level or issues with his old boss it was an issue. If one looks back over his career he made any throw early in his career did not worry about throwing over the middle, also threw to everyone lots of great games with 5-7 different players catching he ball. We won those games and won allot. Heck give him a better defense over the years maybe we have another SB. Regardless him the D are the key to this thing this year. If AR plays well and puts his ego aside and goes back to making any throw to get first downs and keep the ball this team offense can be good. If the D plays better than last year...............winner winner.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Assume he'll play, but it wouldn't exactly break my heart if we had to see what Alexander, King, Jackson and Brown brought to the table at CB. 

He'll play (IMO) but we've reached all hands on deck time.

Things matter now.

49 minutes ago, cannondale said:

On the surface opinion is all this is about. If someone wants to put all their eggs in the injury basket - fine with me, but to say preseason snaps are useless is where my main contention lies. And tongue in cheek I'll say if the competitive sessions in practice are so grueling and battle testing, couldn't you get injured then too ?

They can.  Excluding the franchise quarterback.  Which is the most important piece to the team.

Pre-season games are useful for getting young players up to speed.

They are pretty useless for veterans.  Tale of two different kinds of players.

45 minutes ago, Leader said:

It'll be nice to finally watch a game in real time.

Did you end up watching all the other ones on re airs? I didn't bother with week 4. I saw a little then watched SDSU and Minnesota and second half of cowboys kind of at the same time. 

On 9/2/2019 at 5:03 AM, Rainmaker90 said:

What position group do you think holds us back ?

I really don’t think talent is going to be an issue. If your biggest weakness is ILB 2 than I think you’re doing pretty well.

New first year HC, sure. I can see some problems . 

My concerns are that I have never seen a lot o the starters actually play well for us... yet. 

And my other worry is the lack of depth at some key spots.

6 minutes ago, Norm said:

Did you end up watching all the other ones on re airs? I didn't bother with week 4. I saw a little then watched SDSU and Minnesota and second half of cowboys kind of at the same time. 

All of them except the last one.

Ben Fennell: Matt Nagy and the Bears are an excellent screen team (like most Andy Reid coaches) We know about Tarik Cohen but there’s some new toys in the backfield - rookies David Montgomery and Kerrith Whyte The Packers MUST tackle well in the open field on Thursday night.

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

On the surface opinion is all this is about. If someone wants to put all their eggs in the injury basket - fine with me, but to say preseason snaps are useless is where my main contention lies. And tongue in cheek I'll say if the competitive sessions in practice are so grueling and battle testing, couldn't you get injured then too ?

Yes and people do all the time. There are limits on tackling of course but it's a violent game. I guess the more times you put yourself in the position of getting hit, hard by very large, strong people, the higher the chances of getting hurt. 

I find preseason games useless for front line guys personally. I get where others want to see guys compete. I think if rumors are true, we'll see fewer preaseason games next year.