2019 Week 1 Packers @ Bears Game Week discussion

boratt

3 hours ago, Cheech said:

I hate Thursday night games.  

Winner lose, waiting another 10 days for the next game sucks.  

I'll gladly savor the 10 days off if it follows a huge win over the Bears on the road. Now if we lose, then I agree, I'd rather play again as soon as possible. 

Aaron Nagler:

Mike Pettine is going to be the somewhat unsung hero of this team, if only because the narrative from the national media will follow the ebbs and flows of LaFleur, Rodgers and the offense. But make no mistake, Pettine will be the backbone of this team. 

In 2018, the Packers defensive coordinator was fighting with one hand tied behind his back, talent-wise. And that was before injuries struck. By November, Brian Gutekunst was pulling guys off waivers on Tuesday and they were suiting up and playing significant minutes on Sunday. No wonder things fell apart on that side of the ball down the stretch. 

This year, one of the finest defensive minds in the game has been given the reinforcements he desperately needed at outside linebacker and safety. Throw in a young stud like Kenny Clark and a tackling machine in Blake Martinez to go along with a young, athletic, sticky secondary and Pettine is finally cooking with gas in Green Bay. 

This team may be hard to watch early on. No matter. Expect LaFleur and Pettine to have them on the right track heading into the second half of the season and making a run to the post season.

4 hours ago, Leader said:

Aaron Nagler:

Mike Pettine is going to be the somewhat unsung hero of this team, if only because the narrative from the national media will follow the ebbs and flows of LaFleur, Rodgers and the offense. But make no mistake, Pettine will be the backbone of this team. 

In 2018, the Packers defensive coordinator was fighting with one hand tied behind his back, talent-wise. And that was before injuries struck. By November, Brian Gutekunst was pulling guys off waivers on Tuesday and they were suiting up and playing significant minutes on Sunday. No wonder things fell apart on that side of the ball down the stretch. 

This year, one of the finest defensive minds in the game has been given the reinforcements he desperately needed at outside linebacker and safety. Throw in a young stud like Kenny Clark and a tackling machine in Blake Martinez to go along with a young, athletic, sticky secondary and Pettine is finally cooking with gas in Green Bay. 

This team may be hard to watch early on. No matter. Expect LaFleur and Pettine to have them on the right track heading into the second half of the season and making a run to the post season.

I guess we will see but I just don't buy this take on the start of our season. 

1 minute ago, Pool said:

So who do you guys like in this one?

It's hard to tell. Chicago vs. SF and LA last year was dominant. But if you remove Fangio can Pagano replicate that? Pettine did pretty well in the first game vs. Nagy last season, but Trubisky's options have only gotten better. I think for Chicago the big question is w/ the DC and w/ Trubisky. For GB it'll be the passing game and the new edge defenders. Chicago's going to stress GB horizontally and GB just invested A LOT in their edge. 

Hard to say. I'll go for GB in a close one.