Browns Acquire WR Taywan Taylor (Titans) & G Justin McCray (Packers)

Mind Character

Perfect trade for Taywan Taylor.

I was literally writing a long-form post about how one of the biggest glaring holes/roles on this roster is the move-WR speed threat. Was going on about how worried I was... how without a slot speed threat (in the case where Jarvis is positioned on the boundary) or a boundary speed threat (in the case when Jarvis is in the slot) this offense will suffer as both the play design and rhythm of the offense requires spacing and not the cluttered field that comes from the defense sitting on routes close to the box.

On and on about how no matter how reliable Higgins is and/or how amazing Jarvis' combat catching is the Higgins/Landry pairing no matter who the next WR is (OBJ included) inherently has a limited ceiling on it when it comes to how effective it can be b/c of how the defense responds to the lack of speed threat. More than just verticals and deep threats, the key for a speed threat WR is to press and threaten zone defense responsibilities and strain man concepts quickly and urgently. In doing so, defenses either make mistakes or just simply don't have the athletes to keep up with the movement of the pass catchers into space. This takes decision-making pressure off of the QB allowing them to see open spaces and or open targets sooner.

Me typing literally a few minutes ago before the news: "I've made the point that Njoku seam running as one of the most critical factors for our offense this year to function at a high level, but now I'm starting to think that unless Callaway can come back on another level or we acquire another player and/or a Ratley or Montgomery type steps up this offense is really going to struggle some at times.

Me after John Dorsey does his thing while I'm mid-type

giphy.gif

Now... Dorsey makes the trade for Taylor.

Coming out of college, Taywan Taylor was one of the most fun players to scout.

Deep ball tracking, competitive fire, he fights for catches, vertical threat routes... in my scouting notes one of the biggest things I had was "EATS UP ZONES QUICKLY...STRESSES the DEFENSE in all aspects."

I have no clue as to why he has struggled thus far in the league as I haven't followed the Titans or his career, but in terms of raw ability. He is the TYPE of WR this offense desperately needs. Now, can he actually fulfill his promise or be that player... who knows.

What matters is that John Dorsey is in tune with the type of players this roster needs, and he won't sit idly by when the roster needs help. So, even if these players don't fill the role our FO understands the TYPES of players and skill sets we needs to maximize the player ability synergize on our team.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 3

Taylor is a frustrating player. He might make a catch in traffic but then drops wide open passes. 

We aren't a passing offense so his drops were multiplied by 100. He has legit speed. Can separate with quickness. 

BUT 

Is a body catcher and consistently drops passes. More consistent than anything else. 

He could be used for sweeps or bubble screens maybe. But if you count on him doing anything major you'd be disappointed. 

His best route is the go route with deep post coming in second. But again, game changing drops has been his calling card. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

taywan taylor sucks. he's got the speed to get open but has hands of stone and is awful at tracking deep balls. weird trade

26 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Taylor is a frustrating player. He might make a catch in traffic but then drops wide open passes. 

We aren't a passing offense so his drops were multiplied by 100. He has legit speed. Can separate with quickness. 

BUT 

Is a body catcher and consistently drops passes. More consistent than anything else. 

He could be used for sweeps or bubble screens maybe. But if you count on him doing anything major you'd be disappointed. 

His best route is the go route with deep post coming in second. But again, game changing drops has been his calling card. 

I hear you. Taywan had drop issues in college and it's helpful to know that those did not improve in the pros.

What we need in this offense he provides in spades. We don't need him to be a number 1. We don't need him to carry the offense. We don't need him to be a high target conversion possession receiver with sure hands consistently.

We need him to simply do a few things, and that is threaten the defense with speed via slot mis-match or boundary alignments, open up space for Jarvis to work underneath or Njoku to run seams in a non-cluttered field.

If he occasionally catches a go ball here or there and ends up with 600yards on the year but helps OBJ and Jarvis synergize than that is all we ever needed 

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I like him as our #5 WR.

He's the decoy and gravitational pull speed threat this offense needs. A few even missed or dropped go-balls even and the defense has to think twice about sitting on zones over top Jarvis or Higgins or Njoku... them playing with cushion gives us more space to work with and Baker clearer pass space to process through.

Low risk trade with high reward.

If it doesn't hit, no worries. If it does, we have offensive synergy.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Here'sJim said:

Nice, Taylor will also bring his knowledge of the Titans playbook to help us out for week 1.

Playbook will have limited value and they likely haven’t started installing the game plan yet.

Cant think they’d trade him to us if he was able to impact them negatively week 1.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Playbook will have limited value and they likely haven’t started installing the game plan yet.

Cant think they’d trade him to us if he was able to impact them negatively week 1.

or theyve accepted their fate

• Like 11