College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Right?

Maybe he plays a box nickel position or something at times, but he’s a LOS player, not a FS ffs.

I think I said this in my earlier post. People think he’s going to play safety and he’s not a safety. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Kinlaw is a top 15 pick. Change my mind. 

Don't necessarily disagree with you, but 3 QB's (still have a hard time seeing Herbert falling out of the top-15 despite the down year), Chase Young, Derrick Brown, Wirfs/Thomas/Wills, Jeudy/Lamb, Simmons, Okudah, and then there is another group where he could slip higher in. 

That group has Kinlaw, Epenesa/Gross-Mattos/Chaisson, Delpit, Ruggs, Bekton, Fulton and D'andre Swift. If three of the others, including a surprise fourth QB, goes before Kinlaw then that's how it happens. Some like Kenneth Murray or Biadasz up there, maybe even a surprise corner like Diggs/Bryce Hall, though that seems like more of a longshot. 

Edited by NudeTayne

8 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Agreed. And I think it's a totally unfair question. They don't even play the same position. Simmons is going to be a LB who covers TEs and rushes the passer, not a traditional SS.

can we transform Simmons into a Urlacher type LB? both were big versatile defenders that played all over the place but settle in at LB in the NFL.

If the top3 tackles are gone, I would be perfectly fine settling for a player like Simmons

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Not sure what to think of K’Lavon Chaison. Could be Mingo or Dee Ford.

Just from watching 3-4 LSU games this year I get that same vibe from him.  The ultimate boom/bust pass rusher of this draft.

Looks like he plays with a high motor bit for whatever reason when he's out on the field I feel like he has a slight frame that gives me Mingo flashbacks.

I would rather take Kinlaw or Simmons (pls Lord) if he is there at #10.

• Like 2

On 1/19/2020 at 3:12 PM, BleedTheClock said:

A superstar DE is not a luxury pick. You have to play 2 of them. We need another pass rusher. 

I really wonder if the Browns would dangle OBJ out there to move up to #2. Redskins need a #1 WR for Haskins.

Maybe OBJ + 3rd for #2 overall? Because I honestly would rather have Chase Young than OBJ even if it's straight up lol

9 hours ago, pnies20 said:

I think I said this in my earlier post. People think he’s going to play safety and he’s not a safety. 

Actually he is.

He played more CB than anything last year at Clemson. And he's not great vs the run. He's a cover and chase guy all day. Base SS and nickel LB.

On 1/19/2020 at 9:02 PM, NudeTayne said:

Which offensive linemen would be perfect for for our zone run?

Which highly-rated linemen should we street clear of due to fit?

@BleedTheClock @DaWg_LB. @Mind Character @Horseunit @big poppa pump @pnies20 @therealwiseman @DawgX @Bonanza23

The 1st Question is the question of all questions, and it really changes things tremendously when it comes to how the rankings of Tackles look in my mind.

It also changes what our draft strategy should be as certain top prospects won't make the next level impact given the zone-blocking requirements imo.

Stefanski being hired and the pending zone-blocking scheme has caused a ton of fun and heated arguments between family and friends specifically about things that relate to the zone scheme.

I spent a lot of time this past weekend talking over with friends and family about the desired zone-blocking play traits and blocking instincts that are desirable in college football prospect, as well as how to project those traits to the pros.

I couldn't answer a lot of questions regarding what zone-blocking requires in terms of play traits, how to best identify zone-blocking acumen, and evaluations especially when it came to scheme fits, and I got destroyed in a few debates. I also got destroyed when talking about Tristan Wirfs so glowingly and got called out for particular game evaluations causing me to go back and watch things with a different lens.

I've since set out to try to base my assessments on firmer ground and evidence. I feel like I'm close to that point now.

As a result, my thoughts have completely changed on a lot of prospects when it comes to scheme fit considerations. And scheme-fit considerations for OLineman matter tremendously and more so than at most other positions.

------------------------------

The following are my Zone-Blocking OT and OG rankings (..Different from my general OT and OG rankings):

***Zone-Blocking Play Traits and Ability Offensive Tackle Rankings***:

The Perfect Fit Targets:

1.) Jedrick Wills Jr., OT Alabama, 2.) Robert Hunt, RT Louisiana-Lafayette, 3.) Jack Driscoll, RT Auburn

The Overall Zone Blocking Tackle Rankings:

1.) Jedrick Wills Jr., OT Alabama

2.) Robert Hunt, RT Louisiana-Lafayette

3.) Jack Driscoll, RT Auburn

4.) Prince Tega-Wanogho, LT Auburn    

5.) Mekhi Becton, OT Louisville    

6.) Austin Jackson, LT USC 

7.) Terrance Steele, RT Texas Tech

8.) Andrew Thomas, LT Georgia

9.) Ezra Cleveland, OT Boise State

10.) Isaiah Wilson, RT Georgia

11.) Samuel Cosmi, OT/OG Texas

10.) Josh Jones, RT Houston

---------

***Zone-Blocking Play Traits and Ability Offensive Guard Rankings***::

The Perfect Fit Targets:

1.) Netane Muti, OG/OT/OC Fresno St., 2.) Solomon Kindley, OG Georgia, 3.) Shane Lemieux, OG Oregon, 4.) Tristan Wirfs, OG Iowa, 5.) Lloyd Cushenberry II, OG/OC LSU, 6.) Daishawn Dixon, OG San Diego State, 7.) John Simpson, OG Clemson

The Overall Zone Blocking Guard Rankings:

1.) Netane Muti, OG/OT/OC Fresno St.

2.) Solomon Kindley, OG Georgia

3.) Shane Lemieux, OG Oregon

4.) Tristan Wirfs, OG Iowa

5.) Lloyd Cushenberry III, OG/OC LSU

6.) Daishawn Dixon, OG San Diego State

7.) John Simpson, OG Clemson

8.) Damien Lewis, OG LSU

9.) Ben Bredeson, OG Michigan

10.) Gage Cervenka, RG Clemson

11.) Bryce Meeker, OG-Convert Iowa State

12.) Zack Johnson, OG North Dakota St.

-------------------------

What Our Draft Strategy Should Be Now:

1.) Consider trading up for Jedrick Wills depending on the cost.

2.) If Jedrick Wills, Andrew Thomas, or Jeffrey Okudah are there at 10, select them with a smile.

3.)Trade down multiple times (3 times even) to the 20 to 32 range, accrue multiple high draft pick assets present and future. Target Javon Kinlaw, DT South Carolina, Robert Hunt, RT Louisiana-Lafayette, Jack Driscoll, RT Auburn., Cole Kmet, TE Notre Dame, or one of the other Premier WRs. Only accept such trades if in totality they principally net additional 2nd round pick(s) in 2020 plus, other 2020 Draft Assets, a 1st round pick(s) in 2021, and a 2nd/3rd round pick(s) in 2021.

4.) If none are on the board, trade down 3 to 7 spots and see if Isaiah Simmons, Derrick Brown, or AJ Epenesa. Only make the trade if the such a trade includes present and future draft capital. If so, select one of them and accept the trade.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Horseunit said:

@Mind Character I know you are a big fan of Netane Muti, but what are your thoughts on Nick Harris Washington and Matt Hennessy Temple.  Both currently play center and are listed under 300 pounds.  do you think either would be good at guard? both seem to be pigeon holed strictly for zone blocking schemes.

I like Harris but he has a bum knee that forces him to limp through a lot of games.

I don't think Harris will succeed at any position other than Guard; however, I could see Hennessy having success as a zone guard albeit limited.

I think Hennessy has more staying power in the league but more so at Center than Guard. He can really flip his hips and has some quality reach skills.

On 1/17/2020 at 7:06 PM, Mind Character said:

With Stefanski hired, there is no better merger between team positional needs, prospect ability, and prospect familiarity of scheme than Tristan Wirfs.

Kirk Ferentz is one of the 3 main originators innovators of the zone run-pass scheme along with Alex Gibbs and then Mike Shanahan.

I've made the point ad nauseam that Wirfs is a Guard but that was simply because most schemes don't utilize their Tackles to his ability strengths. However, in the zone run-pass scheme and what it requires of it's Tackles Wirfs' abilities will shine bright if selected in that role.

You poor fool.

This is the Future speaking.

Your evaluation lacks depth and I predict that the weekend before MLK's Life Celebration you'll get embarrassingly destroyed in debates about Tristan Wirfs.

I'm here to tell you he's a very very good developing prospect, more of a projection, and not at all worth a top 10 pick. It will break your mind and heart, but he's not as amazing as you think he is. He's more so a top-20 pick guy, and by the time the draft roles around fans will be shocked when he falls below 12th, but that's how scouts in the league see him.

A sure-fire top 25 talent, but more so the "David Njoku" coming into the draft Guard Version college prospect (no hindsight bias).

I know you won't understand, but you have to trust me.... I don't have long... one last world altering thing to tell you before I go... IT IS

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

You poor fool.

This is the Future speaking.

You're evaluation lacks depth and I predict that the weekend before MLK's Life Celebration you'll get embarrassingly destroyed in debates about Tristan Wirfs.

I'm here to tell you he's a very good developing prospect, more of a projection, and not at all worth a top 10 pick. It will break your mind and heart, but he's not as amazing as you think he is. He's more so a top-20 pick guy, and by the time the draft roles around fans will be shocked when he falls below 12th, but that's how scouts in the league see him.

A sure-fire top 25 talent, but more so the "David Njoku" college prospect Guard Version (no hindsight bias).

I no you won't understand, but you have to trust me.... I don't have long... one last world altering thing to tell you before I go... IT IS

The others are gonna be so pi**ed when they read this.

• Like 2