College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

On 12/8/2019 at 6:59 AM, candyman93 said:

Austin Jackson of USC is another kid worth keeping an eye on. Not sure how he will do at the combine, but I bet he’s the most athletic of the OT’s. Maybe behind Andrew Thomas.

We lucked out this year. There’s a lot of quality OT’s.

On 12/8/2019 at 8:08 AM, brooks1957 said:

Spot on - this really is a tackle rich draft. Senior Bowl should be must see TV

@Mind Character, have you come around in the tackles yet or are these hopeful Browns fans (in their natural habitat of mock draft fapping) just revving their mopeds? 🤔

On 12/7/2019 at 9:55 AM, candyman93 said:

Brycen Hopkins of Purdue is a stud at tight end. He run blocks well too.

He just can't catch. His hands are often as much a liability as Njoku's.

On 12/8/2019 at 9:59 AM, candyman93 said:

We lucked out this year. There’s a lot of quality OT’s.

Not at all.

After Thomas, Willis and Wirfs it's really sketchy.

On 12/14/2019 at 10:54 AM, NudeTayne said:

@Mind Character, have you come around in the tackles yet or are these hopeful Browns fans (in their natural habitat of mock draft fapping) just revving their mopeds? 🤔

A lot of my perceptions and evaluations have changed throughout the process, but at this point a lot is still clear: This is not the Superior, GreatTackle/OLine draft that many still claim it is. It's a solid one though.

With no QBs to watch and no desire to really watch prospects from any other positional groups outside of the Offensive Line, I've spent all the time I'd mostly spend on getting understanding on the draft talent pool overall instead completely on Offensive Lineman. I've watched so many Guards and Tackles at this point over the last 2 months it's pure madness.

I've never gone so deep on a position group before in all my years. With us having arguably 3 OLine needs, it made sense. As a preview summary, after watching about 78 Tackle Prospects and 55 Guard Prospects, I have grown fond of the work of many players and believe there are multiple paths to solve our OLine problems. However, in all scenarios in order to do so we must trade up into the top 8 of the 2nd round at least and likely will have to trade up to the top 14 in the 1st round.

By doing so, there are many permutations of selections that will make our OLine whole with quality starters. The exciting thing is there are also other scenarios that would give us multiple All-Pros imo.At some point during the holidays, I plan to connect with the fam to see where there are disagreements or agreements on the prospects and then make public my working write-up on the prospects. 

Although I like a ton of other players a lot (i.e, Alex Leatherwood, LT Alabama, Yasir Durant, LT/OC Missouri, Nathan Gilliam, OG Wake Forest, Zach Johnson, OG North Dakota State, and on and on...), my focus is on figuring out a way to get 3 of the following 8 OLineman who's varying degrees future impact I think I've been able to quantify and project out:

The Dream that Could Never Be -- Tier Impossible to Acquire: 1.) Andrew Thomas, LT Georgia

The Ready Made All-Pros -- Tier 1: 1.) Jedrick Wills Jr., OT Alabama, 2.) Tristan Wirfs, OG-Phenom/OT, Iowa, 3.) Netane Muti, OG/OT-Swing Fresno State

The Eventual Pro-Bowler with Some Serious Deficiencies -- Tier 2: 1.) Isaiah Wilson, RT Georgia; 1.) Austin Jackson, LT USC,

The Developmental Pro-Bowler with More Serious Deficiencies  -- Tier 3: 1.) Prince Tega Wanogho, LT Auburn;  2.) Shane Lemieux, OG Oregon

The Steady Quality Starter with Serious Deficiencies -- Tier 4: 1.) Josh Jones, RT Houston, 2.) Terrance Steele, RT Texas Tech

My favorite scenario's thus far are the following : Jedrick Wills, OT Alabama --OR-- Tristan Wirfs, OG Iowa via 1st round Trade-up. Netane Muti, OG/OT Fresno State --OR-- Prince Tega Wanogho, LT Auburn via 2nd round Trade-up. Terrance Steele, RT Texas Tech in the 3rd round or via trade-up to early 3rd/late-2nd.

Litmus Test OLineman to see if people are actually watching many multiple games of prospects. Alaric Jackson, OT Iowa and Sam Cosmi, OT Texas. Those that have Alaric Jackson as a 1st or 2nd round prospect or a top 15 positional rank Tackle have not watched enough games of Jackson OR just haven't seen enough of the rest of the tackle class to make a comparison of talents. I have Jackson as my 28th ranked Tackle and a mid-5th-7th round grade. Cosmi who I also used to think highly of imo has a 3rd round grade.

Now, time for the cant and screed that I'll be renewing throughout the draft season constantly while I watch people mercilessly keep referring to Tristan Wirfs as their favorite Tackle. Tristan Wirfs is a HOF/All-Pro Guard Not a Tackle Don't Waste His Skill Set at Tackle....Tristan Wirfs is a HOF/All-Pro Guard Not a Tackle Don't Waste His Skill Set at Tackle... Tristan Wirfs is a HOF/All-Pro Guard Not a Tackle Don't Waste His Skill Set at Tackle....

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Spend high picks on the offensive line. Make it literally impossible for Baker to get sacked.

He’s seeing ghosts.

It's not really the OL. It's the route concepts. Everything is quick reads. The problem is that teams are morphing coverages against us and taking away that pre-snap read that allows quick throws. It's ruined our RPO stuff. If Kitchens is insistent on throwing the freaking football all game long, just go empty and throw the football all over the yard with tempo.