Browns Cut Greg Robinson

goldfishwars

20 minutes ago, Here'sJim said:

So apprently, there was a point where the Browns were at 54 players on the roster and there was a discussion about what to do with Drew Forbes. 

If they were to place him on it before the cut down to the 53, they would lose him for the season. Rather than do that, the Browns instead released Greg Robinson (which meant Drew Forbes was on the 53), placed Drew Forbes on it, and now they can get him back during the season.

The reason why they used Greg Robinson is probably:

1. He's played enough years to not go through the waiver system.

2. He's on a one year deal with a minimum amount of guaranteed money.

3. He would want to come back (considering that he is the starter and was likely offered some incentives). 

Any other player either would have gone through the waiver system, would have cost the organization alot of dead money, or would have been high risk to leave. 

Yeah it sounds like a clever move that allows some flexibility with Forbes.

They must REALLY trust Greg Robinson though.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Hence my Carlos Boozer reference on the previous page.  

We've been going along pretty well here in NE Ohio, in preparation for the upcoming season (and beyond).

We've not had much lulz (unless you count the continued injury bug hitting the Indians).

Image result for lulz

I hope I am wrong, but until he has his named signed on a new contract, we're in danger of falling back into our lull of lulz.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

LOL. Not really. I assume he's re-signed now, then? I'll look that up--hope he got a nice raise. Actually, once @buno67 and @Here'sJim explained what the Browns were up to...well, you got to admit it was a pretty clever move. Kudos to them. 

You’re right... they did come in and reiterate what I said at the top of page 4. 

I take PayPal, Venmo 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah, the trust is the biggest thing. Teams do this more than some probably realize, but it is all dependent on trusting that player will come back and not sign elsewhere. Sometimes teams even throw a little extra at the player for their loyalty to the organization. 

1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

Yeah, the trust is the biggest thing. Teams do this more than some probably realize, but it is all dependent on trusting that player will come back and not sign elsewhere. Sometimes teams even throw a little extra at the player for their loyalty to the organization. 

Yeah I’d imagine they’re so something to sweeten things up for him.

Add a year perhaps?  Idk..

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah I’d imagine they’re so something to sweeten things up for him.

Add a year perhaps?  Idk..

From past incidents like this, at least what I can remember, it is normally a little extra in the signing bonus, so guaranteed money. We will see though. 

5 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

From past incidents like this, at least what I can remember, it is normally a little extra in the signing bonus, so guaranteed money. We will see though. 

He was on a one year with little bonus (500k iirc), but it’s fairly irrelevant as he’s been penned in as the starting LT all offseason. 

Im guessing either a slightly larger version of the same deal?

Who knows, maybe he’s a good sport and just did his part to help the team?

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He was on a one year with little bonus (500k iirc), but it’s fairly irrelevant as he’s been penned in as the starting LT all offseason. 

Im guessing either a slightly larger version of the same deal?

Who knows, maybe he’s a good sport and just did his part to help the team?

Blasphemous to say this on Labor Day. 

• Like 1