Random Game Talk (are you really a gamer if you aren't playing BG3?)

skywindO2

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

Bethesda lost all of there good will after 76. If they screw up Starfield with the same mistakes they are going to be right there with Ubisoft in loss of trust. Ubisoft IMO have actually been pretty solid. AC games are great, Siege & The Division 2 were pretty decent, and they have done some great niche stuff like Anno and For Honor. I hope they give Farcry the AC treatment though and find a way to breathe new life into them they are just all the same for the last 10 years.... 

I can agree AC Unity sucked at launch and Syndicate wasn’t compelling enough so for a time Ubisoft wasn’t the greatest but everything they’ve done since has been excellent (that I’ve played)

2 hours ago, Tyty said:

I can agree AC Unity sucked at launch and Syndicate wasn’t compelling enough so for a time Ubisoft wasn’t the greatest but everything they’ve done since has been excellent (that I’ve played)

The AC series is fine if a but packed with repetitive content and needless special editions/master editions/champion editions/GODOFASSASSINS editions. 

2 hours ago, Tyty said:

The franchise needed a rework in the worst way.  And honestly, I feel that one game a year is too much for a franchise.  They wore out all of their fans, myself included.  

10 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The franchise needed a rework in the worst way.  And honestly, I feel that one game a year is too much for a franchise.  They wore out all of their fans, myself included.  

No series should have a game out every year, sports games included. 

3 hours ago, Tyty said:

No series should have a game out every year, sports games included. 

I agree, there should be a format where a game studio makes one football game ( A GREAT GAME!) and then releases updated versions for it every year for 3 to 4 years until they come up with another amazing football game 5 years down the road with reworked mechanics and everything. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I agree, there should be a format where a game studio makes one football game ( A GREAT GAME!) and then releases updated versions for it every year for 3 to 4 years until they come up with another amazing football game 5 years down the road with reworked mechanics and everything. 

Question being, what would the price point of the game be, and do you charge for updates or the ability to play it every "new" football season?  Because you now have to pay for a much more dedicated team to make updates in this scenario, as well as another team that is always working on the new game.  

I've advocated that approach for a long time for sports video games, but that is going to be the sticking point with developers.  Personally, I will always pay more for something like this, just like I would pay more money for a game to be focused solely on a single player mode and get a better story from it.  

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Question being, what would the price point of the game be, and do you charge for updates or the ability to play it every "new" football season?  Because you now have to pay for a much more dedicated team to make updates in this scenario, as well as another team that is always working on the new game.  

I've advocated that approach for a long time for sports video games, but that is going to be the sticking point with developers.  Personally, I will always pay more for something like this, just like I would pay more money for a game to be focused solely on a single player mode and get a better story from it.  

I would by this game for 60 dollars and then pay 15 or 20 dollars a year for tweaks and roster/draft updates and then rinse/repeat the process 5 years from now. Studios have plenty of ways to market small things to kids for them to buy 5 or 10 dollars of that keeps them in business. I would personally much prefer a game like this. 

Just now, Calvert28 said:

I would by this game for 60 dollars and then pay 15 or 20 dollars a year for tweaks and roster/draft updates and then rinse/repeat the process 5 years from now. Studios have plenty of ways to market small things to kids for them to buy 5 or 10 dollars of that keeps them in business. I would personally much prefer a game like this. 

I agree with that.  But as we know, disrupting what everyone is comfortable with is unlikely to happen.  

Under this kind of scenario, I might actually be inclined to participate in Ultimate Team/Diamond Dynasty because I could be more invested over the lifetime of the game.  

8 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Bethesda lost all of there good will after 76. If they screw up Starfield with the same mistakes they are going to be right there with Ubisoft in loss of trust. Ubisoft IMO have actually been pretty solid. AC games are great, Siege & The Division 2 were pretty decent, and they have done some great niche stuff like Anno and For Honor. I hope they give Farcry the AC treatment though and find a way to breathe new life into them they are just all the same for the last 10 years.... 

Bethesda doesn't really make many games I am interested in.  Was Fallout 76 really that bad, or were things in general trending down and that was just the end of it?  

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Bethesda doesn't really make many games I am interested in.  Was Fallout 76 really that bad, or were things in general trending down and that was just the end of it?  

I got chewed out for saying they shouldn't be making 76 and focus on their single player games, said poster who chewed me out and supported 76 changed their stance completely after a year later. 

They excel at single player games, they should just stick with that. 

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Fallout 76 was god awful but there games have been declining for awhile. Morrowind had some of the best lore and storytelling in gaming that has slowly been eroded over the rest of the Bethesda titles culminating in Fallout 76. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Apparently the free update that came out recently fixed a lot of the problems it had, but it coming a year after launch probably means there are heaps of people who may have played it that def won't

• Like 1

Neighbor had the new Doom game. Said it blows and let me borrow it.

He was not wrong. Its one of the worst games Ive played. Instead of going through levels. Its like each section going through a map is an arena fight before moving to the next. On the first stage of the game and gone through 8 of these arena battles where baddies just materialize out of nowhere. Feels like playing a Gamecube fps with better graphics.

31 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Neighbor had the new Doom game. Said it blows and let me borrow it.

He was not wrong. Its one of the worst games Ive played. Instead of going through levels. Its like each section going through a map is an arena fight before moving to the next. On the first stage of the game and gone through 8 of these arena battles where baddies just materialize out of nowhere. Feels like playing a Gamecube fps with better graphics.

That is what makes it so good. Its an old school, fast paced, arena shooter. I can see why it wouldn't be for everybody though.