Random Game Talk (are you really a gamer if you aren't playing BG3?)

skywindO2

On 4/29/2020 at 8:35 AM, JTagg7754 said:

People don't like some topics when playing games. This isn't me voicing any opinion at all or taking any sides. I'm just saying some people don't mind it, some don't like it. Moving on......

Here's a list of games on the cheap right now if anyone isn't in the middle of anything:

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020/04/28/save-big-with-games-under-20-at-playstation-store/

I've been thinking about Far Cry for a long time. That's an excellent price! Heard those games are a lot of fun

I mean, it goes beyond video games too.  Entertainment as a whole is beginning to do this.  The fear over "losing customers" is gone, especially in the faux-outrage social media world.  Everyone has a platform for their opinion, but how many people are really going to give up on it?  

This is very similar to how Star Wars is using some of their older, beloved characters to "get over" new ones, from what I am understanding based off the leaks.  It also paints fan-favorite characters in a different light.  I think that's a big problem, as the universe needs to stand with popular characters and not turn them into something they aren't.

As for the love interest side of things........let's just say studios should go the Mass Effect route and play it safe and leave things open-ended for the player.  Put a couple LI's in each game, and have the player decide how the character is going to do things.  The same has worked for The Old Republic MMO, AC Odyssey and countless other games.  For an open world game with dozens of hours of playtime, it seems they could have gone this route as well.  

Finally, I think that entertainment as a whole is definitely pushing an agenda now.  The more blatant it is, the more pushback there is going to be (see these leaks, see the current things going on in the Star Wars universe with a group of fans vs Kathleen Kennedy.)  Give it to me in small doses.  Let me make the choice on who my character is going to have as my love interest.  If you want to put in a scene like the women in Avengers: Endgame having their spot, cool.  But it doesn't have to be the entire movie and have that be the focus.  Tell a great story.  

• Like 1

Lmao at thinking giant products funded by a ****load of people haven't literally always been "pushing an agenda". Cultural Hegemony has been a thing long before any of you were alive and it'll be a thing long after we're dead. 

You just chose to ignore them or treat them as something else, it's dumb, quit being a giant baby because a video game has a plot you don't like.

Edited by Thelonebillsfan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I mean, it goes beyond video games too.  Entertainment as a whole is beginning to do this.  The fear over "losing customers" is gone, especially in the faux-outrage social media world.  Everyone has a platform for their opinion, but how many people are really going to give up on it?  

This is very similar to how Star Wars is using some of their older, beloved characters to "get over" new ones, from what I am understanding based off the leaks.  It also paints fan-favorite characters in a different light.  I think that's a big problem, as the universe needs to stand with popular characters and not turn them into something they aren't.

As for the love interest side of things........let's just say studios should go the Mass Effect route and play it safe and leave things open-ended for the player.  Put a couple LI's in each game, and have the player decide how the character is going to do things.  The same has worked for The Old Republic MMO, AC Odyssey and countless other games.  For an open world game with dozens of hours of playtime, it seems they could have gone this route as well.  

Finally, I think that entertainment as a whole is definitely pushing an agenda now.  The more blatant it is, the more pushback there is going to be (see these leaks, see the current things going on in the Star Wars universe with a group of fans vs Kathleen Kennedy.)  Give it to me in small doses.  Let me make the choice on who my character is going to have as my love interest.  If you want to put in a scene like the women in Avengers: Endgame having their spot, cool.  But it doesn't have to be the entire movie and have that be the focus.  Tell a great story.  

That's stupid, either creators are allowed to tell a story or they aren't, you can't be mad about both things, you can't demand agency and then get mad at something for being "foisted on you" or whatever. Not everything is an open world game that says nothing, does nothing, and means nothing. This is a linear game that has a set story that has a lesbian as the protagonist, this is clearly y'all being uncomfortable with that. And it would be better and more honest if you would spare the hemming  and hawing so as to avoid being labeled and instead just say it makes you uncomfortable to have a video game where you play as a lesbian.

It's an entertainment product, there's thousands of other ones out there, nobody is making you play the game with the lesbian.

Edited by Thelonebillsfan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Lmao at thinking giant products funded by a ****load of people haven't literally always been "pushing an agenda". Cultural Hegemony has been a thing long before any of you were alive and it'll be a thing long after we're dead. 

You just chose to ignore them or treat them as something else, it's dumb, quit being a giant baby because a video game has a plot you don't like.

Weren't you the guy losing his sh** over a tattoo some kid got in high-school? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

That's stupid, either creators are allowed to tell a story or they aren't, you can't be mad about both things, you can't demand agency and then get mad at something for being "foisted on you" or whatever. Not everything is an open world game that says nothing, does nothing, and means nothing. This is a linear game that has a set story that has a lesbian as the protagonist, this is clearly y'all being uncomfortable with that. And it would be better and more honest if you would spare the hemming  and hawing so as to avoid being labeled and instead just say it makes you uncomfortable to have a video game where you play as a lesbian.

It's an entertainment product, there's thousands of other ones out there, nobody is making you play the game with the lesbian.

I haven't played the first game, so I don't plan on playing the second.  I looked up a few different sites on the leaks and went from there.  

Obviously, there is going to be some portion of the audience who doesn't want to play as a lesbian.  There are also going to be some who care for the lore of the universe being created.  There might be other reasons out there.  

Naughty Dog absolutely took a huge leap here in a variety of ways.  It's fair of them to receive criticism for it. 

8 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Seems to shove storytellers into boxes. Why neutered handcrafted storytelling in attempt to assuage uncomfortable feelings among people? Why shouldn't the writers create the characters they want, or why shouldn't the plot follow the points they want?

Also your idea falls flat since gamers hate choice. Choices for THY not for THEE. Do you remember the collective "REEEEEEEIIINNNNGGGG" when Mordhau and Battlefield V added female avatars? Or the tantrum thrown by chuds when Cyberpunk 2077 built gender fluidity into the character creation. Cant imagine the purity chuds would like having the option even existing to make DoomGuy into DoomLady  and be able to romance a CyberDemon. 

Oh boy that nebulas word. Something that is such an issue, nobody will identify it directly. Agendas are apparently only a problem when you are uncomfortable with it. Look, I'm going to speculate here on what you mean by AGENDA. Going out on a limb here, and say its Representation. Regardless of how you feel personally, it is important for a lot of people, and has a positive impact in their lives. And as history shows us, a positive impact on society as a whole. 

6 minutes ago, DawgX said:

That was funny.

Well I'm just saying. He telling us stop getting pissy when others are preaching at you about things you don't care to hear. Yet he flips out about such a small statement that according to the guy he didn't even know the real meaning behind the tattoo at the time but pretends that kicker is preaching hate.

10 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Well I'm just saying. He telling us stop getting pissy when others are preaching at you about things you don't care to hear. Yet he flips out about such a small statement that according to the guy he didn't even know the real meaning behind the tattoo at the time but pretends that kicker is preaching hate.

Oh, trust me, I'm in total agreement with you. His meltdown amused me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheChad said:

You bring up a good point though. I always forget about Steam's 2 hour refund rule. Worth a shot for sure then, given the high praise I've seen it get.

Probably too late but the two hours may not be enough to make any decisions with Monster Hunter. The intro takes forever. I loved the game and put about 130 hours into it when I first got it but found it tough to go back to. 

Edited by skywindO2
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Saints Row 3 Remastered coming out next week! Woo!

Anyway. Need something to play. Looking at whats been released recently. Hows the new Doom? And is the Yakuza Remastered Collection in English?

All these remasters coming out. Why hasnt Rockstar done any of their PS3 games? Id buy RDR1 and GTA4 opening day.

Edited by PARROTHEAD
  • Like 1