2020/2021 - The 55: Roster Talk & Team-Building Analysis

Mind Character

We all suffered through John Dorsey's biggest swing and a miss in 2019. He failed to adequately address the tackle position after the retirement of Joe Thomas.

So, I'm having a bit of a think here......

Does anyone have any thoughts on OT Hal....... Vatai of the Eagles. Our new GM got to see him up close and personal all year last year. That can be a good and a bad thing. He knows intimately your talent level and work ethic; or lack thereof.

I am wondering if he may be part of the solution at the left tackle spot. Jack Conklin in definitely in the conversation for the RT spot.

I really really hope we sign him - cant wait to hear how bad Dieken would butcher his name............

(He always called Christian by the last name of Kirs - key, not Kirk - sey.)

Edited by brooks1957
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

We all suffered through John Dorsey's biggest swing and a miss in 2019. He failed to adequately address the tackle position after the retirement of Joe Thomas.

So, I'm having a bit of a think here......

Does anyone have any thoughts on OT Hal....... Vatai of the Eagles. Our new GM got to see him up close and personal all year last year. That can be a good and a bad thing. He knows intimately your talent level and work ethic; or lack thereof.

I am wondering if he may be part of the solution at the left tackle spot. Jack Conklin in definitely in the conversation for the RT spot.

I really really hope we sign him - cant wait to hear how bad Dieken would butcher his name............

(He always called Christian by the last name of Kirs - key, not Kirk - sey.)

We tried this strategy before. It’s how we got Chris Hubbard. I want a guy who’s started a lot or a rookie with high upside.

Edited by candyman93

22 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

I see your point Candy - but I feel, in regards to Hubbard, the process wasn't flawed - the product was. I don't want to close the door on that process yet.

The process is kinda flawed.

Anyone you’re signing in UFA you’re literally paying top dollar for. 

Maybe you get lucky, but teams aren’t often letting quality tackles walk.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The process is kinda flawed.

Anyone you’re signing in UFA you’re literally paying top dollar for. 

Maybe you get lucky, but teams aren’t often letting quality tackles walk.

Yeah I struggle to believe there is a diamond there when he started 16 games his first 2 years and only 4 his last two years. Looks like a very Hubbard situation where you are mostly hoping it works out. We NEED decent tackles to be successful, we honestly don't have an average one on the roster even though Robinson is okay some days that really is what you want from a LT and Hubbard being bad most of the time isn't what you want from your RT, especially in a pass first offense like we brought out last year.

Give me a rookie who is cheap financially or close to a sure thing if we go free agency.

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

Both Robinson and Hubbard struggled in 2019. The former was responsible for 11 penalties and four sacks, according to Pro Football Focus, while the latter committed eight penalties and allowed six sacks. 

Fun times.

Yeah technically I think most of our sacks weren't attributed to any lineman which is crazy. We didn't really have coverage sacks against us because we knew we couldn't hold on to the ball long enough to risk it, at least after the first few games.

2 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah I struggle to believe there is a diamond there when he started 16 games his first 2 years and only 4 his last two years. Looks like a very Hubbard situation where you are mostly hoping it works out. We NEED decent tackles to be successful, we honestly don't have an average one on the roster even though Robinson is okay some days that really is what you want from a LT and Hubbard being bad most of the time isn't what you want from your RT, especially in a pass first offense like we brought out last year.

Give me a rookie who is cheap financially or close to a sure thing if we go free agency.

With as good as this tackle class is looking, I wouldn’t be mad if they brought in 2 rookies and spent a little money on a RG.

• Like 1

Why is Baker doing this? Seriously, all Spears and Rex have done is crap on him. They’re about as bad as Cowherd (Spears might be worse, he’s just not on air as much), they just don’t host shows.

#Browns QB Baker Mayfield is slated to appear on ESPN’s Get Up at 9:30 am ET on Friday. Scheduled to be on with Mike Greenberg, Marcus Spears and… Rex Ryan. Get your popcorn ready.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jake_Trotter/status/1222955679599800320

Edited by candyman93

4 hours ago, CBrownsman said:

Here's the other thing...

That 15 million dollars is going partially to Myles Garrett...

We can't just spend it on a bunch of years for another guys.  We need to be smart with our money now....

The most prudent thing to do is replace Vernon in the draft, but have him play for us this year and help our team win games.  Then hopefully we have someone to take over for him after he leaves either through the draft this year or next year...

So I realize this, but I'm not afraid of paying guys on short term deals. This is the time. Baker and Myles are going to get MEGA deals. I want us to be aggressive in adding talent to the team in the short term. Paying a guy like JPP on a 2yr deal is exactly what I mean. I'm not trying to add any FAs to 5yr mega deals, but I do want to add a couple vets to shore up some positions of weakness.

2 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Vaitai is sinilair to robinson, okay, struggles against elite players. 

The eagles played peters, 36 yo tackle over him, doesnt say too much about him.

Vaitai isn’t anything like Robinson 

first, Vaitai isn’t a massive bust. Vaitai can play left or right tackle, where Robinson is only a LT. Vaitai has a PFF grade of 72. Pretty sure Robinson has never been graded 67 or  better 

why does the peters age matter? If the dude can play, you play him. PFF graded Peters out at 81

50 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Why is Baker doing this? Seriously, all Spears and Rex have done is crap on him. They’re about as bad as Cowherd (Spears might be worse, he’s just not on air as much), they just don’t host shows.

Why?

1.) Because the great leader of men within commands that he lead on twitter and tv shows as well.

2.) Because he has it all figured out.

3.) Because the utility bill and upkeep costs of his stadium house in the progressive commercials is astronomical and he and his wife need the money just to make ends meet and prevent dipping into their savings.

4.) Because Hulu Live Sports added a zero to the large number on the check.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Why?

1.) Because the great leader of men within commands that he lead on twitter and tv shows as well.

2.) Because he has it all figured out.

3.) Because the utility bill and upkeep costs of his stadium house in the progressive commercials is astronomical and he and his wife need the money just to make ends meet and prevent dipping into their savings.

4.) Because Hulu Live Sports added a zero to the large number on the check.

Nothing good will come out of it. I honestly don’t think Rex will be that hard on him. Rex will kinda poke fun at you, but stop.

Marcus Spears is just another Stephen A. Over emotional clown who will just try to cut you off. He’s talked more trash about Baker than Cowherd. At least Colin talks positive about Bakers accuracy. Marcus just talks ****.

Edited by candyman93