2020/2021 - The 55: Roster Talk & Team-Building Analysis

Mind Character

As the season is not nigh and the draft season has ended, my final thought is that Andrew Berry and co. are going to make some move to boost the edge rushing room substantially between now and the start of the season.

With that, thine long awaited internet hibernation and slumber begins....

If the great amnesia-ing or pandemic begin to take thee, pray thee King Nacua grant thee sweet rest or come to thine aid... if thee be a charlatan, then there is no saving thee ... and eat thee a big bag ...

Until the season...

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 4

Assuming we don’t go all in on Jadeveon Clowney, I’d be cool with bringing Clay Matthews on a one or two year deal. I realize he is far from his prime. He would give them a little bit off the edge though, and more importantly fulfill his legacy…

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Assuming we don’t go all in on Jadeveon Clowney, I’d be cool with bringing Clay Matthews on a one or two year deal. I realize he is far from his prime. He would give them a little bit off the edge though, and more importantly fulfill his legacy…

He's exactly what we could use to round out our LB core.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

That and he would bring the most important ingredient which is his leadership/team captain ability on the Defense. 

• Like 1

Clowney and if we don't get him, that's a huge mistake. Then we have to take a look at someone like Emerson Griffin or a roster cutdown casualty.

If I'm the Browns, I'm paying very close attention to a true MLB come cuts. We need a strong veteran presence who at least has basic A/B gap ability on 1st and 2nd Down. I'm probably the biggest Wilson fan on this board long term (as a WLB, not a MLB), but we are going to put a 22 year old kid who is undersized at MIKE coming off of a "meh" rookie year. 

I'm also taking a peek at roster cuts at the OG and S spots for pure depth reasons and hoping to get some good financial 1 year value at those spots.

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Clowney and if we don't get him, that's a huge mistake. Then we have to take a look at someone like Emerson Griffin or a roster cutdown casualty.

yeah, let’s try to add a piece to this defense if we can. Quality over quantity imo.

If I'm the Browns, I'm paying very close attention to a true MLB come cuts. We need a strong veteran presence who at least has basic A/B gap ability on 1st and 2nd Down.

I think that’s supposed to be Goodson, but I know not much else about him.

I'm probably the biggest Wilson fan on this board long term (as a WLB, not a MLB), but we are going to put a 22 year old kid who is undersized at MIKE coming off of a "meh" rookie year. 

From a glass half full perspective, the scheme last year was awful and he played half the season with a DL composed of street free agents.  Hopefully between getting some talent back in front of him, a better scheme and a year under his belt we see a much improved version of Mack.

I'm also taking a peek at roster cuts at the OG and S spots for pure depth reasons and hoping to get some good financial 1 year value at those spots.

It seems like they like Teller and Forbers, with Hubbard as a possible option as well (or at least haven’t looked to upgrade the position).

Safety could be interesting, but they’re already added 3 guys this offseason.  

Personally I’m looking at a value RB, impact DL, and any linebacker with a pulse who’s proven he can play in the league.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

yeah, let’s try to add a piece to this defense if we can. Quality over quantity imo.

I honestly wouldn't be against a 1-2 year option on Dee Ford. You have to realize what you're getting there, which is a guy who is "meh" at best against the run and good for 3rd down rush, which I'm honestly great with. You have Myles and Ford at DE, slide Vernon inside, and keep Ogunjobi in.

I think that’s supposed to be Goodson, but I know not much else about him.

Yeah, I know that PFF has him and Schobert valued pretty close, so I think that they're banking on him more than we realize. 

From a glass half full perspective, the scheme last year was awful and he played half the season with a DL composed of street free agents.  Hopefully between getting some talent back in front of him, a better scheme and a year under his belt we see a much improved version of Mack.

I agree wholeheartedly on this from a pure WLB perspective. That said, what translates regardless of scheme is that Mack is still coming into his grown man's body, and last year, as well as at Bama, he struggled mightily at the point of attack, taking on blockers, and fitting ISO head on in the A/B gap(s). I like him a lot in the WLB spot as well as a Nickel LB, because his coverage skills and instincts are REALLY GOOD. He's solid sideline to sideline. I just fear that we aren't going to be setting him up for success at MLB/SLB.

It seems like they like Teller and Forbers, with Hubbard as a possible option as well (or at least haven’t looked to upgrade the position).

Teller and Forbes I'm good with, but I'd still like 1 more guy for depth. That's probably unrealistic.

Safety could be interesting, but they’re already added 3 guys this offseason.  

Between Joseph and Delpit, I'd assume that those are definitely the starters. Redwine I'd imagine is your rotational guy/3rd guy, and we will see after that. I'd actually prefer a slot CB and depth guy. Between Ward and Greedy, you have some medical issues and concerns.

Personally I’m looking at a value RB, impact DL, and any linebacker with a pulse who’s proven he can play in the league.

RB value would be intriguing.

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I honestly wouldn't be against a 1-2 year option on Dee Ford. You have to realize what you're getting there, which is a guy who is "meh" at best against the run and good for 3rd down rush, which I'm honestly great with. You have Myles and Ford at DE, slide Vernon inside, and keep Ogunjobi in.

there’s a name I hadn’t considered, good call.

Yeah, I know that PFF has him and Schobert valued pretty close, so I think that they're banking on him more than we realize. 

I’m guessing he’s the starter?  I have no clue what they’re doing there tbh.

I agree wholeheartedly on this from a pure WLB perspective. That said, what translates regardless of scheme is that Mack is still coming into his grown man's body, and last year, as well as at Bama, he struggled mightily at the point of attack, taking on blockers, and fitting ISO head on in the A/B gap(s). I like him a lot in the WLB spot as well as a Nickel LB, because his coverage skills and instincts are REALLY GOOD. He's solid sideline to sideline. I just fear that we aren't going to be setting him up for success at MLB/SLB.

agreed.  I’d like to see how much weight he’s put on, if any.