Raiders officially release Antonio Brown; so do the Pats (LOL)

RaidersAreOne

30 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

True but would you want a rookie trying to implement Gruden's offense on the fly.  He would have to sit behind a vet for at least 2 years.  $16 million for a back up and $20-30 for a placeholder who would struggle at least the first year.  Unless we are looking at  Trevor Lawrence I say hold onto Carr and develop behind him.

I'd prefer to have an actual franchise QB that's capable of helping this team win games. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'd prefer to have an actual franchise QB that's capable of helping this team win games. 

I might have been the first person on here calling for Carr to be cut or traded so I understand.  I just think the way things have changed we are probably better off developing someone behind him because we would be very lucky to find someone to run Gruden's offense effectively the first couple of years.  Even Gannon was bad his first year in his system.  I he looks bad then of course it is time to go in another direction but if he shows improvement and command of the O then we should role with him thru his contract.  If we are effective throughout the games but losing close games it is still an improvement.  If we go the first half of the season without scoring a td in the 4th quarter then that is another story.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

How soon could we have traded him.  Send him the letter, he shows up, suspend him to get rid of the guarantees, put him on the block (BB was willing to give a first to Pitt), and bench him until someone wants to pay.  If nobody does let him sit until the trade deadline and he has to go on waivers when we let him go.  No way he makes it thru to the Patriots and hopefully a crappy team grabs him.  I am not 100% sure we are allowed to do all of it but he does not get what he wants if we can and it would be worth the money to see him cry about it.

It sounds workable, but it's not that simple. Leverage is severely lost after all of this debacle in Oakland. Pitt had leverage because of how quiet they kept most things, but even then all they got was a 3rd and a 5th. NE was willing to give up a 1st. Think about this for a moment. They were willing to pay far more than anyone else, why? Because it's abundantly clear he only wanted to play there. So while he's either sitting on our roster, suspended, or playing and eating our team alive from the inside, we're waiting on one team to take a trade. Without leverage. And essentially a team that already knows he will only play there, and a player who already knows he only wants to go there. This is what NE has mastered and the rest of the NFL lags on badly. Using leverage, managing the side deals and working the talent system. Our dummy team isn't going to outmaneuver them, NE has mastered outmaneuvering other teams. The only play we could have done was what I said, call his bluff and mothball the guy, risking him showing up. Or don't play the game at all and you don't get burned. 

Other better teams manage to hardball their players. We caved. We're lucky we even got what we got for Mack considering how stupid and naive our poorly organized front office is. 

46 minutes ago, holyghost said:

Mayock didn't screw this up in any way along the way, other than not playing brutal hardball with Brown. It's utterly clear Brown orchestrated all of this. Not one problem this offseason was any more than a figment of Brown's machination. Problems completely made up to work his way off this team. Anyone who believes otherwise is, sadly and undoubtedly, a sheeple. Don't be so naive to think that dirty lying cheating money games go on in the pros, just like they do throughout college and all other sports. It's so naive.

There's a risk in playing brutal hardball with the guy. If you send him the 5 day letter early, fine him the max, take away the guaranteed money, then if he doesnt show up you mothball his season - the risk is that he shows up. Plays, then tears the team up from the inside while on the roster. Raiders were put in a terrible position ultimately enabled by the fact that they are an idiot unstable disorganized and unprofessional organization in the first place. Oakland literally got burned once on a trade for the same position from the same team (WR Pitt). Fool me once... 

I beg to differ.  Either you treat him like every other player from day one or you give him the special treatment throughout. It can't be both, clearly.

So either Mayock changed his mind, listened to the outside noise, or got completely blindsided by who and what AB is. 

AB may have had all the weird issues, but Mayock gave him the fuel to burn his way out. If you let your kids run wild for months and then decide to discipline them, you're asking for trouble.  Parenting 101

8 minutes ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

Honest question: Without AB, is this team worse or better than last year's team?

We are better, no doubt about it. Tackle situation is better with T Brown and Kolton healthy, Joyner is a big get for the secondary, Burfict is the best MLB we've had in some time, Tyrell is better than any WR we had last season sans disappearing Cooper, our Punter should be better (hard not to be), Key looks to have improved his game, Jacobs is an upgrade over Lynch/Martin, etc.

We downgraded fore sure at TE though, but Waller has immense potential.

• Like 3

Wow I've got to stop taking holidays just before the season starts, last year got back to hear the news Mack was traded and now this :S. To be frank, I think it's a relief more than anything. Brown was clearly full of bull from the word go and the workout videos etc. were all a facade. From the team point of view, it must be a weight off the minds of players and coaches and at least we all know where we stand.

Of course, we have to scheme around the rest of the roster a little bit now and probably use the TEs more but it's good that Williams has been looking like a #1 WR by most accounts anyway. I would think we'd probably put more emphasis on running the ball now but against the Broncos it will be that much harder as we'll have to get the ball out quick and would have been relying on a guy like Brown to win matchups quickly. Running backs could get a lot of work both running the ball and as receiving targets.

Maybe Vontaze Burfict wasn't such a villain after all for taking brown out a few years ago....................;)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

We are better, no doubt about it. Tackle situation is better with T Brown and Kolton healthy, Joyner is a big get for the secondary, Burfict is the best MLB we've had in some time, Tyrell is better than any WR we had last season sans disappearing Cooper, our Punter should be better (hard not to be), Key looks to have improved his game, Jacobs is an upgrade over Lynch/Martin, etc.

We downgraded fore sure at TE though, but Waller has immense potential.

Every team got way better though. Every team gets way better every year. The only one worse is probably Miami (and way worse). Plus we have a way tougher schedule than last year. Wouldn’t be shocked at 4-12. 

19 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Hollywood was my favorite player in the draft this year, he's Hill 2.0. Unfortunately, he seems like he'll be AB 2.0 after he gets paid. 

this.... isn't he abs cousin....no thanks, its week 1 yall. you think he wont take a page right out of his cousins book, and hes higher touted coming out. lol! the only thing that sucks about this is ab got what he wanted,....all along, and so did the pats...they offered a first but pit wouldn't let him go there. wish proof of this being planned would surface and both parties are exposed.....but that will never happen, kraft involved in controversy?....nada. chung busted with cocaine? hardly a mention...lol. the league loves them some pats,...plain and simple. I smiled when I saw the other thread locked up.lol I hope the same for this one ….im into our future, don't wanna live in the past (unless its past the last 16 yrs.lol!!!)

Edited by Devilshark69

27 minutes ago, Devilshark69 said:

this.... isn't he abs cousin....no thanks, its week 1 yall. you think he wont take a page right out of his cousins book, and hes higher touted coming out. lol! 

There are videos of him in the OU locker room wearing a $100,000 fur acting like he's AB.