FA 2020

drfrey13

7 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

This right here is spot on. 

Mahomes is the only QB that is worth that much cap space. 

With Russell Wilson's extension he's accounting for like 16% of the Seahawks salary cap in 2020. 

Mahomes is going to make $24.8M in 2021 with the projected cap being $215M meaning he'll take up 11% of the Chiefs cap. Assuming similar 10-12% jumps in the cap over the following two seasons with the additional game being added:

2022 (Projected cap: 241M): Mahomes - $31.4M (12% of Chiefs cap space)

2023 (Projected cap: 270M): Mahomes - $42.4m (15% of Chiefs cap space) 

It's a lot of money but it's not cripple the franchise type of money. I mean look back to 2016 when we signed Derek Carr to a 5 yr/$125M deal and made him the highest paid player in the league. His deal took up roughly 15-16% of our cap space at the time of the deal and now his contract looks like a bargain. 

The NFL's TV deal is up in 2022 and they're projecting that their Sunday afternoon contracts will double from $1B annually to $2B annually while primetime contracts will increase from $2B annually to $3B annually. A jump from $3B annually to $5B+ annually in TV deals in addition to the extra game and extra playoff game is going to make the salary cap skyrocket. And Mahomes is only set to make $24M in 2021 and $31M in 2022 so when he starts making $40M+ in 2023 the cap should be a lot higher, lessening the impact of his contract. 

• Like 1

Been thinking about Clowney and if the Raiders can get him which is more likely for a one year deal. Would be a huge upgrade for the Raiders to have Clowney and Maxx as your DE's. Clowney never developed into the pass rusher most expected him to be, but still gets a lot of attention and plays such a physical brand of football and is elite against the run. You would have 4 guys(Maxx, Clowney, Nassib, and Ferrell) who can go in to keep everyone fresh. Plus it gives them so much more flexibility in passing situations where you can put 3 or even all 4 on the field at once.

When going up against Mahomes best thing you can do is throw fresh pass rushers at him all game. I can see why the Raiders would want a player like Clowney. 

Gruden usually gets what he wants. Let's see if this happens. 

Also if this happens it has nothing to do with Ferrell and what they think of him. I can already see fans going crazy about it if it happens. 

Edited by agarcia34
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Also if this happens it has nothing to do with Ferrell and what they think of him. I can already see fans going crazy about it if it happens. 

If the Giants during their Super Bowl years or the 49ers last year showed anything it's that you can't ever have too many pass rushers. There will be enough snaps to go around for everyone because you can realistically rotate Ferrell/Clowney/Nassib inside at times on passing downs and get creative with how you use the pass rush. Not to mention Nassib is probably only a 5-6 sack guy, Ferrell didn't show much as a pass rusher last season, and the jury is still out on if Maxx Crosby can replicate his production from last season. Plus having a strong pass rush would do wonders for our defense overall because it'd take a lot of pressure off of our young secondary which is likely going to have 2 rookies (Abram/Arnette) and 1 2nd year player (Mullen) starting at some point in the season with other young DB's like Robertson/Johnson seeing the field a ton too.

I also think it'd be interesting and realistic to expect that our "starting" defensive ends would be Nassib and Clowney with Ferrell/Crosby rotating in. 

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1

If he is healthy and the money is right, I'm all for it.  The Eagles are another team that always have depth in the trenches, and it has worked out well for them.  I know we won't be in base that often, but I wonder if we would put Clowney standing up in SAM/LEO. He could also be a stand-up rusher over the card in passing situations.

New stadium, offensive weapons, and some capable lbs? I really hope this season happens.

9 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

lol imagine thinking you rather have Carr than Mahomes. Homerism at its finest. I'll take Mahome at any price tag over Carr and that's no disrespect to Carr it's just that they're not at the same level and the gap between them is huge. 

That’s not what I said.... Not even close ... you, NYRaider, somewhat Dante sound like Don Lemon on CNN right now....

I absolutely did not say I’d rather have Carr over Mahomes.  Nice try at taking the first half of a sentence and absolutely ignoring the second half which had all of the nuance and substance.

What I said was when the news of his contract having 400+M “guaranteed” came out I’d be awfully fearful of the salary cap hell that would result from a longterm injury to Mahomes and releasing him.  Look at what happened with Alex Smith and times it by 10x. 

Before the actual breakdown of all that guarantees being in the form of yearly roster bonuses expect 10M was announced if this contract was structured relatively similar to Russell Wilson comparable top QB deals then KC would have something similar to 120-180M guaranteed initially which would decrease 30-35M per year.  Under a contract like this, If Mahomes got hurt in his 2nd year into deal KC would have been faced with around 90M in deap cap and have to carry his salary for 2-3 more years before they could release him.

I’d rather have Carr for 40% of Mahomes pay and have zero in guarantees versus the massive Guarantees that would normally come from a top QB contract let alone Mahomes’ deal which was substantially more than we’ve ever seen.

That isn’t a decision based upon talent it’s a decision based on risk management. 
I didn’t say I’d rather have Carr for 20M then Mahomes at 45M..... my entire comment stemmed around guarantees.

Obviously this is irrelevant now that the details of the deal came out.... and to go back and read by comment without any context is unfair and just an attempt at Carr haters to make a Carr supporter look stupid.  

KC structured the deal in a very advantageous way towards protecting them long term from a catastrophic injury or a drastic decline in play.

Now that the actual details are released id absolutely take Mahomes over Carr without any reservations.  

First, I doubt Clowney signs with us.  I’d put it at 10-20% chance.

I wouldn’t pay more than 12M’ish for Clowney, and not because he isn’t worth more but because I don’t think we’re a championship level team and I’d rather carry over the money to next year and spend it on a 2-4 year deal for a player who will be on the team during the peak years of our hopeful run.  

Not to mention the fact that next years cap might drop massively and carrying money over helps reduce the effects of the drop.  

I will say we are in a really good long term With our salary cap.

Had we not given Nassib that deal I’d be more willing to pay Clowney more. While I’d love to get Clowney I also don’t want to take reps from Crosby and Ferrell’s development for a player who will almost certainly leave next year for a bigger payday.

I always felt like we rushed into signing Nassib and Heath and there would certainly be Better deals for a DE and S.

With the talk of offering Clowney a deal... it’s possible we are not totally happy with the DL + are still looking at possible way to add talent to the roster.  Personally I’d at least consider adding talent to the team from signing players who get cut in or prior to TC instead of having to restructure a deal or two to fit Clowney because these players that get cut would be available for very cheap prices.

There’s reports that the NFL will mandate teams reduce training camp rosters down from 90 to 80/75.  This year more than ever, due to the uncertainty of next years salary cap (due to Covid reducing income) teams are likely to cut mid-level players if a cheaper option Player proves to be close in abilities.  That said are their any players out there that are rumored to be possible be cut that we might be interested?

btw, I don’t expect any real surprises from us.

We could still use additional talent at RB, LT, DE, DT, SAM OLB, MLB, and S.

So are their any players who may become available that you’d like us to go after?

The Jets are rumored to possibly cut MLB Avery Williamson, SD apparently might cut LB Denzel Perryman, Carolina might cut DT Kawann Short, Arizona might cut Hassan Reddick OLB, Indy might trade Marlon Mack RB, GB might cut/trade Jamaal Williams RB, NYG might cut Wayne Gallman RB, Seattle might cut Chris Carson RB, KC might cut Damien Wilson LB, Dallas might cut DL Tyrone Crawford, Denver might cut Royce Freeman RB, NYG could trade Dalvin Tomlinson DT.

19 hours ago, NYRaider said:

With Russell Wilson's extension he's accounting for like 16% of the Seahawks salary cap in 2020. 

Mahomes is going to make $24.8M in 2021 with the projected cap being $215M meaning he'll take up 11% of the Chiefs cap. Assuming similar 10-12% jumps in the cap over the following two seasons with the additional game being added:

2022 (Projected cap: 241M): Mahomes - $31.4M (12% of Chiefs cap space)

2023 (Projected cap: 270M): Mahomes - $42.4m (15% of Chiefs cap space) 

It's a lot of money but it's not cripple the franchise type of money. I mean look back to 2016 when we signed Derek Carr to a 5 yr/$125M deal and made him the highest paid player in the league. His deal took up roughly 15-16% of our cap space at the time of the deal and now his contract looks like a bargain. 

The NFL's TV deal is up in 2022 and they're projecting that their Sunday afternoon contracts will double from $1B annually to $2B annually while primetime contracts will increase from $2B annually to $3B annually. A jump from $3B annually to $5B+ annually in TV deals in addition to the extra game and extra playoff game is going to make the salary cap skyrocket. And Mahomes is only set to make $24M in 2021 and $31M in 2022 so when he starts making $40M+ in 2023 the cap should be a lot higher, lessening the impact of his contract. 

Who says that? 2 years ago the NFL was down 10+ %, this year they will be down 40-50% it might be higher depending how the virus and protest go. The NFL is asking players for 35% of there pay to be put in an escrow account to help pay the bills. So how do you think the cap is going to rise 100%? It Probably will raise a little bit most likely stay the same but it could actually even fall.

6 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

With the talk of offering Clowney a deal... it’s possible we are not totally happy with the DL + are still looking at possible way to add talent to the roster.  Personally I’d at least consider adding talent to the team from signing players who get cut in or prior to TC instead of having to restructure a deal or two to fit Clowney because these players that get cut would be available for very cheap prices.

There’s reports that the NFL will mandate teams reduce training camp rosters down from 90 to 80/75.  This year more than ever, due to the uncertainty of next years salary cap (due to Covid reducing income) teams are likely to cut mid-level players if a cheaper option Player proves to be close in abilities.  That said are their any players out there that are rumored to be possible be cut that we might be interested?

btw, I don’t expect any real surprises from us.

We could still use additional talent at RB, LT, DE, DT, SAM OLB, MLB, and S.

So are their any players who may become available that you’d like us to go after?

The Jets are rumored to possibly cut MLB Avery Williamson, SD apparently might cut LB Denzel Perryman, Carolina might cut DT Kawann Short, Arizona might cut Hassan Reddick OLB, Indy might trade Marlon Mack RB, GB might cut/trade Jamaal Williams RB, NYG might cut Wayne Gallman RB, Seattle might cut Chris Carson RB, KC might cut Damien Wilson LB, Dallas might cut DL Tyrone Crawford, Denver might cut Royce Freeman RB, NYG could trade Dalvin Tomlinson DT.

Where did you read this?  He is their projected starter this year. 

If what you're saying is true, although I find it hard to believe and you must have gotten him confused with another player, I would be all over signing him as I really love the way he runs.  He would be the prefect compliment to Jacobs as they would both be 1A and 1B and with Carson we could keep both fresh and really wear down D's late in games.  One can dream but I just don't believe the Hawks would cut a 24 year old 1200 yard rusher last year. 

6 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Who says that? 2 years ago the NFL was down 10+ %, this year they will be down 40-50% it might be higher depending how the virus and protest go. The NFL is asking players for 35% of there pay to be put in an escrow account to help pay the bills. So how do you think the cap is going to rise 100%? It Probably will raise a little bit most likely stay the same but it could actually even fall.

Their TV deal is going to double after 2022 there's going to be a huge rise in the salary cap. 

42 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Their TV deal is going to double after 2022 there's going to be a huge rise in the salary cap. 

Ever heard of get woke and go broke?  The deal ain’t going to double if the NFL loses a significant portion of its viewership by painting BLM at midfield instead of the Shield and running Crapernick ads 24/7.

11 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Ever heard of get woke and go broke?  The deal ain’t going to double if the NFL loses a significant portion of its viewership by painting BLM at midfield instead of the Shield and running Crapernick ads 24/7.

Lol But 70% of the nfl is...meh never mind lol