FA 2020

drfrey13

On 5/7/2020 at 2:56 PM, Humble_Beast said:

Sign one vet from each group and we will be good to go for camp! Healthy competition 

9th DL: depth/competition 

ezekiel Ansah, Cameron wake, Vinnie Curry, Michael Bennett, Dion Jordan, Everson Griffin, Marcell Dareus, Mike Daniels, Snack Harrison, Margus Hunt, Adam Gotsis 

LB: competition/ depth 

Nigel Bradham, Alex Ogltree, Deone Bucannon, Mark Barron, Darron Lee, Will Compton, Vontaze, Stephone Anthony 

S: competition/depth 

Reshod Jones, Tavon Wilson, Monte Richardson, Eric Reid, Eric Berry, TJ McDonald, Curtis Riley, Tony Jefferson, Clayton Geathers, Antoine Bethea, Jaheel Assae, Morgan Burnett, Tedric Thompson

Here’s a good list... sign one vet for cheap in each group 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Here’s a good list... sign one vet for cheap in each group 

Some interesting names, Gotsis stands out to me but I guess he's looking fir a starting gig though he'd be arguably our best interior disruptor. Jordan has been mentioned a lot fir a good reason, Lee and Compton could compete at LB and McDonald may be a decent depth guy.

Maybe we're waiting for cuts as has been said.

40 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

No and may never be a good player but he's worth a spot on the team.

I'm not sure about that. Obviously we can't see him at practice and his mindset, his effort, but based on game tape he doesn't belong to an NFL team as an OT IMO and with his height it might be difficult to move inside...

The way his stance showed our pass/run games in his rookie year was alarming and he looked horrible last year when he get the chance. Sharpe easily beated him out and that guy is not more than a swing OT. 

We can say that Parker can be a solid depth guy, but that is only ok if he is on the bench. If he needs to step in and play, we will suffer...

15 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Some interesting names, Gotsis stands out to me but I guess he's looking fir a starting gig though he'd be arguably our best interior disruptor. Jordan has been mentioned a lot fir a good reason, Lee and Compton could compete at LB and McDonald may be a decent depth guy.

Maybe we're waiting for cuts as has been said.

Gotsis was a heathy inactive some weeks for Denver last season and is rehabbing from injury this offseason. There's no way he's holding out for a starting job. I don't see him beating any of our top 4 DTs. And he would not arguably be our best interior disruptor. Collins and Hurst have shown much more than him.

McDonald is probably done at this point as he spent the 2019 season trying out for teams, including the Raiders, and not getting signed by anyone.

Edited by oakdb36

2 hours ago, Rolni said:

I'm not sure about that. Obviously we can't see him at practice and his mindset, his effort, but based on game tape he doesn't belong to an NFL team as an OT IMO and with his height it might be difficult to move inside...

The way his stance showed our pass/run games in his rookie year was alarming and he looked horrible last year when he get the chance. Sharpe easily beated him out and that guy is not more than a swing OT. 

We can say that Parker can be a solid depth guy, but that is only ok if he is on the bench. If he needs to step in and play, we will suffer...

I'm going by the opinion of my nephew who was a D1 OT and also 6'7. It took time to grow to the body.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Gotsis was a heathy inactive some weeks for Denver last season and is rehabbing from injury this offseason. There's no way he's holding out for a starting job. I don't see him beating any of our top 4 DTs. And he would not arguably be our best interior disruptor. Collins and Hurst have shown much more than him.

McDonald is probably done at this point as he spent the 2019 season trying out for teams, including the Raiders, and not getting signed by anyone.

I guess you're not as high on Gotsis as I am then, he did have an injury shortened 2019 but I thought he was particularly strong in '17 and '18 and a 3T role could suit him really well. And the injury might make him much more affordable 😀.  I do remember us trying out McDonald now that you say it so no disagreement there! Good spot.

21 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Don’t forget we brought in Sam Young to push Parker. 

This isn’t directed at you..... because it’s been mentioned by everyone and not just you Young will compete with Parker.

but idk how Young will be “competing” with Parker when Young’s a RT more or less his whole career and is a stiff 32yo.  If anything I think he’s depth behind Sharpe and just a guy to hold the blocking bags and get smashed by the 1st team defense, until Brown or Sharpe get dinged up or need a day to rest.  Young is actually prolly less of a quality LT then Parker, and that’s saying a lot.  
We still need to bring in a LT to push Parker imo.

• Like 1

Parker's got 2 more years cheap to develop. Would only get 320K or so in cap if we cut him. I'm down with cutting him if we get a vet who use to be good but is old and or injured for cheap but With Miller being a 1st and Brown getting PAID it's not attracting someone who thinks they can start. We're also not seen as a SB team so no 'last chance for a ring' contract. Maybe a 'I want to retire where it's hot and no taxes contract' and if we make playoffs we will see more of those. :D

27 minutes ago, G said:

Parker's got 2 more years cheap to develop. Would only get 320K or so in cap if we cut him. I'm down with cutting him if we get a vet who use to be good but is old and or injured for cheap but With Miller being a 1st and Brown getting PAID it's not attracting someone who thinks they can start. We're also not seen as a SB team so no 'last chance for a ring' contract. Maybe a 'I want to retire where it's hot and no taxes contract' and if we make playoffs we will see more of those. :D

That’s a valid point for keeping Parker.  He is still developing and is he’s ever going to make a leap it’d likely be in his 3rd (this) year.

however, when I went back and watched every single one of his offensive snaps in ‘19 he looked sooo bad and that was at RT.  Like he didn’t belong out there.  I don’t think “we” want to replace him necessarily.  It’s about bringing in competition to push him.  Not to mention the fear of if Miller gets hurt and even misses a short period of time Parker could get The QB killed.  Combine That with the fact that Sharpe, who is a quality 3rd OT, is more of  RT and unproven since college at LT.  

I don’t think we need to sign Beachem, Peters, Penn, etc (the top FAs that are left are all very old veterans) but we should at least bring in someone of Young’s quality but whose a LT.

5 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

That’s a valid point for keeping Parker.  He is still developing and is he’s ever going to make a leap it’d likely be in his 3rd (this) year.

however, when I went back and watched every single one of his offensive snaps in ‘19 he looked sooo bad and that was at RT.  Like he didn’t belong out there.  I don’t think “we” want to replace him necessarily.  It’s about bringing in competition to push him.  Not to mention the fear of if Miller gets hurt and even misses a short period of time Parker could get The QB killed.  Combine That with the fact that Sharpe, who is a quality 3rd OT, is more of  RT and unproven since college at LT.  

I don’t think we need to sign Beachem, Peters, Penn, etc (the top FAs that are left are all very old veterans) but we should at least bring in someone of Young’s quality but whose a LT.

Yeah Parker SUCKS so far. Never saw him as a RT only back up LT. Was happy he added weight last off season and hopefully he's maintained it and feels comfortable with it. I prefer 6'5 to 6'6 Tackles as the added length doesn't always translate. Brown is a FREAK as that size doesn't usually translate. LOL