FA 2020

drfrey13

1 hour ago, G said:

Yeah Parker SUCKS so far. Never saw him as a RT only back up LT. Was happy he added weight last off season and hopefully he's maintained it and feels comfortable with it. I prefer 6'5 to 6'6 Tackles as the added length doesn't always translate. Brown is a FREAK as that size doesn't usually translate. LOL

Some OTs can move from left to right but not all of them.  It can take a lot of time and some might never be able to develop the coordination.  I would assume that size can slow that transition.  Parker played LT his entire college and maybe high school career.  So when we draft him as a small school prospect with a huge leap in competition we decide to switch him to the right.  He has sucked at RT but I also suck every time I decide to change from right to left.  Anyone that wants a quick lesson on the difficulty this young man has had to face just go brush your teeth with the wrong hand.  Then come back when it feels fluid and natural to let us know how long it took.  Parker needs to back up Miller on the left.  I have been saying it since they were drafted that Parker needed to be on the left side.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Some OTs can move from left to right but not all of them.  It can take a lot of time and some might never be able to develop the coordination.  I would assume that size can slow that transition.  Parker played LT his entire college and maybe high school career.  So when we draft him as a small school prospect with a huge leap in competition we decide to switch him to the right.  He has sucked at RT but I also suck every time I decide to change from right to left.  Anyone that wants a quick lesson on the difficulty this young man has had to face just go brush your teeth with the wrong hand.  Then come back when it feels fluid and natural to let us know how long it took.  Parker needs to back up Miller on the left.  I have been saying it since they were drafted that Parker needed to be on the left side.

I don’t think that’s a valid comparison. Once the ball is snapped, you still need to the same technique as you would on the other side.

2 hours ago, Justwinning said:

I don’t think that’s a valid comparison. Once the ball is snapped, you still need to the same technique as you would on the other side.

Kolton Miller said he had a hard time making the adjustment and that's one of the reasons we kept him at LT and Brown at RT. 

3 hours ago, Justwinning said:

When you brush your teeth you still have the same objectives no matter which hand you use.  All of your techniques are just reversed. Another example if you have 8 minutes to spare.

I think we should just leave Parker at LT.  I’m not going to comment on the “learning the left side vs the right side” debate because I have zero knowledge on the subject, but what I will say is Parker’s footwork and technique is so raw and in some aspects lacking that in my humble opinion he should just stick to gaining the experience and technique needed for one specific position.  While I think the “bike argument” (for a lack of a better term) is a bit different because the bike, a machine, is taking your bodies movements/forces (inputs) and producing the opposite reactions or outputs then we’re use to.... it’s not like when you move from LT to RT your right leg moves when your brain tells your left leg to move. Nonetheless, there are definitely different techniques and skills at LT vs RT from a technical standpoint, and this is where Parker is lacking.  We’re to the point in his career where he just needs to prove he’s capable of being a backup and stepping in and playing if needed.  Sharpe has RT locked down and we need Parker to prove he can keep the QB alive at LT if Miller gets dinged up.  

Edited by jimkelly02

23 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

the FO should have thought about that before using a 3rd round pick on somebody. that should be a starter. 

1 hour ago, Totty said:

Is Parker a better LT than Sharpe is a RT?

I went back and watched Every one of Sharpe’s ‘19 snaps at RT and while I always liked him I was impressed.  I think he’s a top 18-25 starting RT in the league.  I’d have zero worries with him starting 6 games.

Parker was a ****e show.  It was awkward and robotic and messy (at RT).  He hasn’t played much at LT.

edit/added:  Parker’s movements are RT we’re almost bizarre.  He rarely did the standard kickstep in pass protection, like Sharpe did.  He would almost run block at first, with a jab punches immediately and then when the DLmen got threw that he’d just try anything and everything to prevent him from getting around him.  It was odd.  I’m prolly not doing the best to describe it but you can use NFL’s free app to watch it on game pass.

parker’s snap totally are here:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/ParkBr01/gamelog/2019/

while his college tape is versus low level competition he seemed to have far more natural movements (kickstep mainly) in pass protection from the LT spot.  Maybe he’d be best served and possibly capable of becoming a solid backup LT if he’s only played at LT from now on?

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Turnobili said:

the FO should have thought about that before using a 3rd round pick on somebody. that should be a starter. 

I don’t think should have done that because almost all of the OTs in that range were RTs only: Lucas Niang, Matt Peart, Tyre Phillips (prolly moves to G).  Only LSU’s S.Charles And Charlie Heck (whose very unathletic for a LT) and Colton McKivitz (early 5th and prolly not a LT) went soon after that.  There simply was a ton of top talent and nearly zero mid round LT talent. There weren’t many solid LT UDFAs either.  
Hopefully some solid backup level LT veteran gets cut and we scoop him up, but given the lack of talent at the position around the league it’s not very likely.

Edited by jimkelly02

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

I don’t think should have done that because almost all of the OTs in that range were RTs only: Lucas Niang, Matt Peart, Tyre Phillips (prolly moves to G).  Only LSU’s S.Charles And Charlie Heck (whose very unathletic for a LT) and Colton McKivitz (early 5th and prolly not a LT) went soon after that.  There simply was a ton of top talent and nearly zero mid round LT talent. There weren’t many solid LT UDFAs either.  
Hopefully some solid backup level LT veteran gets cut and we scoop him up, but given the lack of talent at the position around the league it’s not very likely.

didnt say they specifically had to pick a right tackle. you have to balance BPA with need.

but if you want to look at RT candidates Orlando Brown was sitting right there, and has already made a pro bowl as a right tackle

• Like 1

Loved that video and it makes a lot of sense in my own life with my own psychology. That draft I liked Williams and Brown. One athletic and the other power. Didn't have Miller on my radar and Mike I wasn't high on. Mack was still on the team and I wanted an alpha on D with him and wanted James before trading down and really bad once trading down. Oh well...Miller has panned out well enough.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Turnobili said:

didnt say they specifically had to pick a right tackle. you have to balance BPA with need.

but if you want to look at RT candidates Orlando Brown was sitting right there, and has already made a pro bowl as a right tackle

Correct you did not say it had to be a RT.

were you referring to this year or ‘18 though?  I assumed you meant this year (‘20 draft).  With sharpe already a solid backup it doesn’t make any sense to draft another RT.  But if you meant ‘18 i get what your saying.

Orlando Brown or Chukwuma Okorafor were far better picks for filling the RT spot.  I think Parker was drafted to be the future RT with Miller at LT, but Parker just isn’t good enough.