Around the league discussion

candyman93

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Whelp.

We won’t have to worry about Josh Gordon when we face New England. Holy crap that hurt just watching. After the Seattle game, Freddie and Steve need to watch what the Giants are doing in this game.

What happened to Gordon?

I believe that if Baker takes a leap regarding his offseason work on his understanding, mechanics, and chemistry with playmakers he's going to be a good one.

But man oh man while it makes sense why we passed on Wentz and Goff to get the draft capital money ball going that second year trading the 12th pick (DeShaun Watson) for the 25th pick (Jabrill Peppers) and a future first (Denzel Ward) was one trade too many.

I remember our debates that year. It was Trubisky for most at the top with some in the Kizer camp and most believing Mahomes could be the best but it was too risky. But what of DeShaun? I had him has the #1 QB for a West-Coast pick and stick offense. I was wrong. He's not system bound. He had inaccuracies and bad picks but the intangibles and ability to raise his play when everything is on the line was the gem we should've never overlooked.

Ultimately, Darnold's ability to elevate his play when the chips were down and in big game moments spoke of a magical career trajectory to me but what Watson did in college was overlooked and attributed to his playmakers and the program/system.

Separating player from scheme and player from surrounding talent is one of the hardest lessons I've had to learn when scouting players. 

Certain things travel. Big game/moment poise travels no matter what system. Relentless work habits and an obsession to outwork one's peers and ones best version of their self travels and is an enduring trait. Pin-point accuracy late in games; elevating one's play in high leverage moments despite playing poorly earlier in the game is an enduring trait. Mental toughness; playing through a torn acl and waiting to have surgery until after the following game is an enduring and predictive trait of future outcomes.

Now, when you mix those enduring successful person traits with Athleticism and Magnetic Leadership and High Character you have a special leader-person-athlete. 

Who knows what Mahomes, Watson, Baker, and Wentz have in store for the rest of their careers.

But man oh man... Elite Intangibles + Athleticism + Good to Great Throwing Ability when it Matters most == Something you can Never Ever Pass On or Bet Against.

Valuing the potential of Kizer and over-valuing the surrounding talent and lack of "Big time throw ability for our style of offense" of DeShaun Watson was an absolutely terrible evaluation.

DeShaun Watson was the perfect QB for all systems and it's one thing to have missed on Mahomes b/c the KC traded up for him, but literally trading the pick that became DeShaun was a terrible miss.

Myles Garrett and DeShaun Watson would've been nice (although the talent surrounding Watson year 1 would've been tragic).

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

We need an a+ qb coach, to jeep bakers fundamentals in check. Brady is obsessed with the basics, baker can be golden if he plays qb well from his feet up, not from swagger down.

I just don't understand how nobody is ever open on offense. Is it because they try to run timing routes? I'm watching this MNF game and the Lions have Golladay + Random Bum running free and open behind the secondary. How can OBJ or Landry not get that type of separation

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

I just don't understand how nobody is ever open on offense. Is it because they try to run timing routes? I'm watching this MNF game and the Lions have Golladay + Random Bum running free and open behind the secondary. How can OBJ or Landry not get that type of separation

One analyst pointed our jarvis and obj do the most at the top of the route to get open, i wonder if the extra step or two messes up the rhythm of the offense? Bakrr has thrown a number of balls esrly to obj. 

Also the monken offense is about spacing not clusters of routes that spring people free.

Arod tlhad that probelm ladt year, all the routes were man beaters, not getting people open. 

I prefer cheap smart innovative  offenses like the pats, or phili, to the offenses that rely on high end skill players. 

• Like 1