The Iron Chef!!

Illadelegend215

24 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Cook would be extremely foolish to do anything that would "toll" his contract. 

Agreed. He could opt out and get credit for an accrued season if he can get himself into the increased risk category. I am not sure how easy that would be to do but getting credit for an accrued season would be a very good thing for him even if he has a year left on his contract afterwards.

• 3 weeks later...

Cook: "I just want to say the Vikings and my agent are working extremely hard and that side's going to take care of whatever they've got to take care of. I'm just continuing to work my tail off and lead a young, hungry group that's ready to go work and get this thing done for Minnesota.

"I love being in Minnesota since I got here.That side's going to take care of that side, and I'm going to take care of my side. I walk in this building with a smile because I love being in Minnesota."

https://www.vikings.com/news/kirk-cousins-training-camp-padded-practices-red-zone-ability?fbclid=IwAR0DfwP2IwSEQ7ahvc9Azb6Yf7mtn2gimYlLARMOLqwLXxJnUl0d1JHrCzA

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I recall there was a lot of posters predicting that Cook was going to hold-out, or otherwise display bad behavior until he got what he wants.  This post from Pelissero is showing me that Dalvin is a professional football player...emphasis, in this case, on the word professional.

29 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I recall there was a lot of posters predicting that Cook was going to hold-out, or otherwise display bad behavior until he got what he wants.  This post from Pelissero is showing me that Dalvin is a professional football player...emphasis, in this case, on the word professional.

He didn't really have much leverage to hold out if he wanted to gain an accrued season. With that being said Dalvin has maintained a professional attitude throughout.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

For me trying to put myself in Dalvin's shoes, I thought as long as he felt respected by the team he'd be there giving 100%. My argument that he'd give anything less (bad behavior) would only stem from belief that they would not extend him. Anyone who has confirmation that they are expendable in a sports organization will give less if they believe it could lead to injury and/or jeopardizing their career. Besides, why would you want to give high effort to someone who wouldn't believe in you. The idea that you would be kicked out on your butt after they groom your replacement shows no loyalty.

According to Courtney Cronin, it was the Vikings that shelved the talks for now...which isn't all that surprising.  Rick doesn't generally like to discuss contracts in-season (although it certainly has happened and still could). Someone may believe differently, but my guess is that the impasse isn't over the money, it's likely the protection that the Vikings would need in case of another significant injury. 

I think that the Vikings made the right move. I wouldn't have met Dalvin's rumored expectation either. I wouldn't have been willing o come close to that right now. For Cook's sake, I hope he has a great year. He may be able to get that $15M, or something close to it, if he has a better year this year than Derrick Henry had for the Titans last year. The odds of that are vanishingly slim, but I hope he does it.

Sadly for Cook, there is a lot better chance that he'll regret not signing for whatever the Vikings were willing to give him right now. I can't say that I know what it is, but if it was anything over a total of $26M for the next three seasons it would have been foolish of the Vikings to make the offer so I assume they were offering less than that. My guess has always been that they would offer him $24M practically guaranteed for him to sign something that puts him under their control for the next three seasons. Of course the team would have had some option years after that but they are very unlikely to be a major sticking point.

We'll probably never know what the Vikings were offering, but I wish Cook the best of luck. I wouldn't have the guts to push my luck for another year hoping for more if I was him. It is fun to see someone go for it. Cook is one of those contestants that would go on Deal or No Deal and never accepting the banker's offer no matter what instead choosing to go all the way to the end hoping the case he selected was the million dollar case even if the one cent case was the other possibility. I just couldn't do it. I would take the $500k home rather than risking it just for the chance at the million.

• Like 1

Dalvin's asking price is likely at or above what he'd earn on the Franchise Tag next season. The Vikings have no incentive to sign him now. He can't hold out. If he performs like a guy who deserves 12 million, they can franchise him. If not, he can take less or move on. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The last report of a Vikings offer, from June I believe, had the team offering Cook around $8M per year with Cook seeking around $13M per year. 

If Corry’s tweet is accurate, the Vikings are absolutely handling this the right way. 

Agreed.  I probably would still give him around $10-$11M because of the Derrick Henry deal, but if the tag is only going to be around $8M, there really was no choice for them to make in this situation if he's not going to accept it. And if he's still insisting on $13M, I think he should probably find a new agent, because that guy's doing a crappy job, especially on top of the agent probably being the one leaking the "holdout" thing.  He's doing Dalvin wrong in all sorts of situations.

Edited by swede700