How are the refs so awful

Breesus mode

Just now, The LBC said:

If it's seen as cost-effective or they see the potential to substantially increase their grosses they will.  The public overrates the level of influence they have over things, at least relative to how much money can be made for the owners.

They do, but they still have some level of sway. If revenue drops the NFL is going to freak out.

• Like 1

I mean you do realize that you could have been given two TDs and still lost correct? I understand that it was a bad call. But isn't a moot point now? I mean you have much bigger issues at hand. Your team doesn't look that great, even if you do get Brees back.

Self reflection is key. You're an 8-8 team at best right now.

7 minutes ago, Riftty said:

I mean you do realize that you could have been given two TDs and still lost correct? I understand that it was a bad call. But isn't a moot point now? I mean you have much bigger issues at hand. Your team doesn't look that great, even if you do get Brees back.

Self reflection is key. You're an 8-8 team at best right now.

Well, we're not the Patriots.  The team was never going to be that great without Brees.  I don't think anyone expects to contend for a superbowl with Teddy and Taysom running the show.

But I don't care if we go 1-15, I don't like to see TDs taken from my team due to bad reffing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

But I don't care if we go 1-15, I don't like to see TDs taken from my team due to bad reffing.

Nobody does, but fumbles being blown dead happens all the time.

It sucks and IMO they need to instruct the refs to handle that better, but let’s not act like nobody else has had that happen to them

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Dome said:

Nobody does, but fumbles being blown dead happens all the time.

It sucks and IMO they need to instruct the refs to handle that better, but let’s not act like nobody else has had that happen to them

Yes, bad reffing happens to everyone.  That's why everyone should want better reffing.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LeotheLion said:

Rich to blame the refs. It was a bad call. Also debatable on the call prior that it was a penalty on the Woods TD. Nothing the Saints did today led anyone to believe they would have won with that TD. 

What was debatable about pushing a guy in his back and the refs calling a "Block in the back" penalty? He was literally facing completely away from the blocker.

1 hour ago, Breesus mode said:

It’s almost like losing a HOF QB is bad.

What does this have to do with anything?    No one is saying it doesnt hurt or that Brees wouldnt have made a huge difference.

The point is, your team got thoroughly outplayed, bad call or no.

And I rarely agree with AFlaccoSeagulls.

Yeah that call on didnt go the Saints way BUT I think the refs should be the least concern for the Saints/Rams game. All the holding the Saints oline was doing and the bad tackling that just on that Kupp catch and run alone was pathetic. If anything the biggest concern in the Saints game was Brees and not the refs. It just sucks now we have to hear about the refs again with the Rams/Saints game.

The bad call that took away the TD was a massive swing in momentum that the Rams never relinquished.  I'm not saying the Saints would've won had they not blown yet another call with the Saints, but you can't just magically add 7 points to the final product to say it didn't matter when in the flow of the game it 100% did.  I mean it doesn't stop our offense from being inept with Bridgewater behind center, but being up 13-6 with the defense playing great might've lead to a different result, probably still a loss but maybe something much closer.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Breesus mode said:

They do, but they still have some level of sway. If revenue drops the NFL is going to freak out.

This presumes that fans of the other 31 teams feel the same way. 

Some may when their team gets screwed. But they move on by the following morning. Saints fans are the only ones who have made getting "screwed by refs" a slogan and meme. It's quite enjoyable, really.

To the point of the post though...

No full time refs, replacements that get annihilated by fans, commentators, and talking heads.

Rules that are uniform and sensible (What is a catch? What constitutes a "football" move?). 

Fanbase expectations being unbelievably high in terms of expecting every little call to be made to perfection. 

The refs not being robots.

Fans also not wanting the game stopped for replay every 5 seconds. 

Having multiple refs on the field who will disagree and see things at different angles. 

Having a fan base, media base, and team who openly campaign under a "We get screwed by the Zebras" banmer certainly doesn't do a particular fanbase any favors.

The list can go on and on for days, but a lot of it comes down to having realistic expectations. It's real life, not Madden. You can't swivel a camera around to the unseen and zoom in. So expectations just need to be tempered. 

25 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

But they move on by the following morning. 

Yea, that's not true.  I still hear complaints from bad reffing from years ago that happened to other teams. 

Just last year Rams fans basically whined all season about bad reffing up to the PI no call. Then magically, the whining ceased.

Just now, Jlowe22 said:

Yea, that's not true.  I still hear complaints from bad reffing from years ago that happened to other teams. 

Just last year Rams fans basically whined all season about bad reffing up to the PI no call. Then magically, the whining ceased.

I literally never hear whining as bad as Saints fans. I never see Rams fans going all over social media with complaints about calls and the zebras. 

I'm a Raiders fan. Our franchise was on the receiving end of one of the worst calls in history and has yet to recover. Yet really the only time it's brought up is when discussing Brady's rise to superstardom. 

Is it literally the next day? Nah. But ffs, Saints fans never let it go. It's embarrassing. Bobby still crows on every opportunity about how the Saints got screwed by Bountygate. Y'all some of the biggest victims I've ever met, and I do criminal defense for a living 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I'm a Raiders fan. Our franchise was on the receiving end of one of the worst calls in history and has yet to recover. Yet really the only time it's brought up is when discussing Brady's rise to superstardom. 

Which is all the time.

5 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I never see Rams fans going all over social media with complaints about calls and the zebras. 

Rams fans started a petition to get Vinovich removed from the NFCCG.

Vikings fans will not stop bringing up 09 anytime soon.  

The media is not gonna let the PI non call go.  The fact that bad reffing likely cost the Saints points already in two games this season is just adding fuel to the fire.  

10 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I literally never hear whining as bad as Saints fans. I never see Rams fans going all over social media with complaints about calls and the zebras. 

Is it literally the next day? Nah. But ffs, Saints fans never let it go. It's embarrassing. Bobby still crows on every opportunity about how the Saints got screwed by Bountygate. Y'all some of the biggest victims I've ever met, and I do criminal defense for a living 🤦‍♂️

So you're just used to losing and accept it.  Got it.