Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
KingTitan

A.M- Life After Marcus Watch (options?)

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Any Jalen Hurts believers?

Seen someone compare him to Dak and now I can't unsee it. I'll definitely be following him closely throughout the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to ask...

we got Mariota and we play him like he’s flacco

we got humphries and we play him like he’s lewan

we got henry and we play him less than we should

 

why would things be different with our next QB? I’m a broken record and admittedly had one too many glasses of $12 Pinot Grigio with my leftover pizza for dinner. But the issue is more with this team’s mentality, coaching and culture than our personnel 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Henry was played less than he should, but Humphries isn't showing up because we are at 3rd and 8 on every 3rd down. He's a short horizontal receiver. 

Mariota is being played the way he is to minimize what they ask him to do. I wanted them to run more of a spread tempo offense for a long time, but he can't even find a check down when he sees pressure. He panics and wiggles and takes sacks. 

How we're playing Mariota isn't the issue. Mariota is. We need to stop trying to find as many excuses for him as we can. He hasn't been a good QB in 3 years and he was likely only performing well because of our top 3 running game. 

At least when Mularkey was the coach we could say "well guys aren't open" and that was often the case. That's absolutely not the case this year. There are multiple people on Twitter with threads showing Mariota not seeing open WRs down field. He is mentally nowhere near where he needs to be for a year 5 QB. Whether that's current/previous coaching problems or his own is hard to say. But he's not getting it done.

Edited by TitanSS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Henry was played less than he should, but Humphries isn't showing up because we are at 3rd and 8 on every 3rd down. He's a short horizontal receiver. 

Mariota is being played the way he is to minimize what they ask him to do. I wanted them to run more of a spread tempo offense for a long time, but he can't even find a check down when he sees pressure. He panics and wiggles and takes sacks. 

How we're playing Mariota isn't the issue. Mariota is. We need to stop trying to find as many excuses for him as we can. He hasn't been a good QB in 3 years and he was likely only performing well because of our top 3 running game. 

At least when Mularkey was the coach we could say "well guys aren't open" and that was often the case. That's absolutely not the case this year. There are multiple people on Twitter with threads showing Mariota not seeing open WRs down field. He is mentally nowhere near where he needs to be for a year 5 QB. Whether that's current/previous coaching problems or his own is hard to say. But he's not getting it done.

yep. this isn’t some fossilized mularkey offense, we’re actually running real route concepts and scheming guys open. we’re sort of hamstrung by the OL right now in terms of keeping WRs in to chip and running heavy sets, but aside from that this is a perfectly modern nfl offense. now, i think we destroyed mariota’s development by shoving him in mularkey’s offense for a couple of years, so if you want to say we misused him then then i agree. but this offense ain’t a square peg round hole situation for mariota now and it won’t be for damn near anyone we bring in in the future. it’s an excuse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mularkey's offense didn't ruin Mariota. Mariota was this way coming in to the NFL. One of the biggest knocks on him coming out of college was the fact that he was a 1 to 2 read QB in college. Chip Kelly's offense was designed that way.

Mularkey's offense is drastically different than Kelly's, but it did share the same limited reads. But it was limited reads through max protecting. It was limited reads through play action under center. Not the quick RPO stuff Kelly was famous for.

Mularkey's offense helped make people think Marcus was the 2nd coming in 2016.

People want to crap on it, but Mularkey's offense has some proven success in this league, including what he did with it here in 2016. Our offense scored 18.7 ppg in 2015. That went up to 23.8 in 2016. It just relies upon having a really good ground game(see Atlanta with Michael Turner). When Murray fell off the map and Henry was too busy running to the sideline or trying to make people miss instead of running them over(and the blocking got a bit worse too), the offense got exposed, because Mularkey/Robiskie refuse to adjust their offense to anything else.

But that offense was never the reason for Mariota's struggles. Mariota is the same guy he's been since he was in college. I tried warning people about this in 16 when everyone was calling him elite or on the verge of being elite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can still use humphries on first and second

we are still running a crapload of 13 personnel. Mariota aside...that’s terrible 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, -Hope- said:

tbh, I'm kinda lukewarm on tua. he's playing with an absolutely insane supporting cast and so much of what i've seen of him is just tossing slants or bombs to a wide open jerry jeudy and watching him take them all the way. he's struggled against some of the top competition he's played. i'm not too mad that he'll go well before we pick.

I tend to downgrade Bama prospects just for that reason.  When every player around you is a stud, it makes your job a whole lot easier, and it can make the tape misleading.  It's probably also why so many Bama players don't live up to their draft positions.  It's exactly what happened when we stupidly drafted Chance Warmack.  That said, Tua is presumptively numero uno for now.

I like Fromm, but I need to see something extra from him for him to leapfrog the others with a less than stellar arm.  He makes a big playoff run, I'm sold.

Herbert I thought was meh.  I don't trust that offense, but he's certainly put up numbers this season, and he looks like a prototypical QB.

Burrow is intriguing, but I have not seen nearly enough from him to have an opinion that's worth anything.

Love I've heard hype on.  Haven't seen him play.  Look forward very much to see what he does vs. LSU.

11 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Any Jalen Hurts believers?

Depends on what you define as a believer.  I think he's a solid second rounder, but that could go up or down depending on how the rest of his season pans out.

11 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

I have to ask...

we got Mariota and we play him like he’s flacco

we got humphries and we play him like he’s lewan

we got henry and we play him less than we should

 

why would things be different with our next QB? I’m a broken record and admittedly had one too many glasses of $12 Pinot Grigio with my leftover pizza for dinner. But the issue is more with this team’s mentality, coaching and culture than our personnel 

The thing that blew my mind the most of those was Henry getting no carries in the second to last drive against the Colts.  We had plenty of time, and we needed points, and the running game was working extraordinarily well.  I wonder if Henry was just tired and needed to be spelled on the bench for a bit, or something like that, because it just seems like such a bad decision with more hindsight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MdTitansFan56 said:

We are gonna end up with Derek Carr some how

Do the Raiders still have multiple 1st round picks? I can look it up, but that could be an option. Gruden loves a new QB more than anything, they could trade up or be in range for one depending on their season and look to let Carr go. 


Edit:
Yeah they have 2 first round picks. 

Shoot, Go after Carr, I liked him coming out of college.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dtait93 said:

Carr and Tannehill are basically the same

Oh I disagree with this soooo much. 
Carr is a much better passer. More durable. Overall a better QB to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Oh I disagree with this soooo much. 
Carr is a much better passer. More durable. Overall a better QB to me. 

How is Carr a much better passer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

No

I rather take my chances with a old warren moon 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×